[REQuest now fulfilled.] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Adding a sub-forum for (South-)Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong & rest of Asia.

Post by ghost »   0 likes

but frankly I'm quite happy with the forums as it is.
Me, too. Maybe South Korea would make sense, because we really have a lot of movies from there.
Ziggy Plock

Re: [REQ] Adding a sub-forum for (South-)Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong & rest of Asia.

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:but frankly
ghost wrote:South Korea
How much work would it be to split these, if you already had a list of all other Asian, European films?
Is the bulk of the work into setting it up, or in making such a list?

Maybe we can do it like this:
Anybody who would want a separate thingee for Country XYZ, has got to give ghost a full list of all the releases currrently posted for Country XYZ , as in the URLs.
Sent it either via this topic, so it's public and everybody else can add films that are forgotten or overlooked.
Or sent it via DM to ghost
Would that be fair?
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

The work is not in finding the movies, which can be done with a search, but in transferring them one-by-one to the new thread. There may be a way to write a script to do it (as Nasuada suggested) but I know that I can not do that! And script writing certainly takes time even for those who know how to do it. Believe me, I have looked at Moderator thread-controlling options and was hoping to discover check boxes next to thread search results -- but nope.

I personally like the idea of a Korea thread but I recognize the work involved in moving them.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

There might be a way to do bulk transfer with moderator interface, but I can do it with SQL also. It takes not much time, just a bit of concentration, because with a single typo one can damage the whole database (but we have backup for the worst case). All I need is the list of topic IDs or URLs.

Here is the list of unlisted REL with "Korea" in the title (61):
[REL] Ssagaji My Honey (2004) [South Korea]
[REL] Goyangileul butaghae (2001) [South Korea]
[REL] Ahobsal insaeng (2004) [South Korea ]
[REL] Ba-Bi AKA Barbie (2011) [South Korea]
[REL] Miracle In Cell Number 7 (2013) [South Korea]
[REL] Bimujang jidae AKA The DMZ (1965) [South Korea]
[REL] Sonagi (1979) [South Korea]
[REL] Hanyo AKA The Housemaid (2010) [South Korea]
[REL] So-won AKA Hope AKA Wish (2013) [South Korea]
[REL] Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned (2016) [South Korea]
[REL]Dohee-ya AKA: A Girl at My Door (2014) South Korea
[REL] Okja (2017) [South Korea / USA]
[REL] Do-ga-ni AKA Silenced (2011) [South Korea]
[REL] Mi-sseu-baek AKA: Miss Baek (2018) [Korea]
[REL] Huayu: Hakgyo 2015 (2015) [South Korea] (TV Series)
[REL] U-ri-deul AKA The World of Us (2016) [South Korea]
[REL] Gae-leul hoom-chi-neun wan-byeok-han bang-beob (2014) [South Korea]
[REL] Boksuneun naui geot (2002) [South Korea]
[REL] Joyonghan Sesang AKA: The World of Silence (2006) [South Korea]
[REL] The Closet (2020) [Korea]
[REL]Nun-gil AKA Snowy Road (2015) [South Korea]
[REL] Chinjeolhan geumjassi AKA Lady Vengeance (2005) [South Korea]
[REL] Madame Jung's Last Week (2017) [South Korea]
[REL] I-ut saram AKA The Neighbors (2012) [South Korea]
[REL] The Wonder Years AKA Yeol-se-sal Soo-ah (2007) [South Korea]
[REL] Woorijb AKA The House of Us (2019) [South Korea]
[REL]Buffalo Rider (2015) [South Korea]
[REL] Nareul guhaji maseyo (2020) [South Korea]
[REL] House of Hummingbird (2018) [South Korea]
[REL] Eorin uiroein AKA My First Client (2019) [South Korea]
[REL] Two Weeks (2013) [South Korea]
[REL] Na-neun Abba-da AKA I Am a Dad (2011) [South Korea]
[REL] Bo-Ri (2018) [South Korea]
[REL] We-ding-deu-re-seu (2010) [South Korea]
[REL] Go Back (2020) [South Korea]
[REL] Maen-hol AKA Manhole (2014) [South Korea]
[REL] You're So Precious to Me (2021) [South Korea]
[REL] Cheonsangui hwawon AKA Heaven's Garden (TV 2011-2012) [South Korea]
[REL] Op-pa saeng-gak (2016) [South Korea]
[REL] Dambo (2020) [South Korea]
[REL] Oh my Geum Bi (2016) [South Korea]
[REL] Phantom Detective (2016) [South Korea]
[REL] Space Sweepers (2021) [South Korea]
[REL] Bomi's Room: (2014) South Korea
[REL] Mon-seu-teo AKA Monster (2014) [South Korea]
[REL] A Little Princess (2019) [South Korea]
[REL] Ggotip (1996) [South Korea]
[REL] Jangwa Hongryeon (2003) [South Korea]
[REL] Mai kaeptin, Kim Dae-chu (2006) [South Korea]
[REL] Lovely Rivals (2004) [South Korea]
[REL] Nebeonjjae cheung (2006) [South Korea]
[REL] Bunhongsin (2005) [South Korea]
[REL] Hansel and Gretel (2007) [South Korea]
[REL] Geomen tangyi sonyeo oi (2007) [South Korea]
[REL] Chello hongmijoo ilga salinsagan (2005) [South Korea]
[REL] Treeless Mountain (2008) [South Korea]
[REL] I'm Jin-Young (2006) [Short] [South Korea]
[REL] Hearty Paws (2007) [South Korea]
[REL] Heup-yeon mo-nyuh aka Smoke-flavored Life(2004)[Korea]
[REL] The Man From Nowhere (2010) [South Korea]
[REL] A Brand New Life (2009) [South Korea]

Here is the list of unlisted REQ with "Korea" in the title (2):
[REQ] Bimileui eondeok aka The Hill of Secrets (2022) [South Korea]
[REQ] Seonsaeng Kim Bong-du (2003) [South Korea]
Night457
Global Moderator

You probably made that list with a few keystrokes while I would have to copy and paste each title individually!
mimzy wrote:There might be a way to do bulk transfer with moderator interface
I bloody well haven't figured out a way. Single transfers are easy. I could not find anything that would indicate multiple transfers. And I totally understand why the moderator interface is less powerful.
It takes not much time, just a bit of concentration, because with a single typo one can damage the whole database (but we have backup for the worst case).
That is of course my biggest worry with scripting / coding / SQL whatever. Best practices dictate doing database changes in a test evironment first, but that does add more time to the process.

I knew that if anyone knew how to do it properly, it would be you mimzy. I just did not know how much work and aggravation it would involve, because I gave up coding 30 years ago. And I was not involved in website management then, either.

Since others have posted and voted while I kept my mouth shut, I will now add one more lengthy comment about my own preferences: While I can see the value in creating more country-specific forums, I am totally 100% opposed to any subforums that divide the world into multi-nation regions and turn posting a movie into a geography quiz. I really hate the Latin America forum for this reason. Guyana, that is in Africa, right? (No.) Suriname, is that in Asia? (No.) Apologies to the residents of those nations, whether or not they have any films here.

Technically, someone can post a movie from France in the France forum while not having to know that France is in Europe and not in Asia. The Baltics? They are near the Baltic sea, right? Does that include Sweden and Poland? (Wait, maybe not.) I'll be darned if I can definitively state what nations are in the Baltics without going to a Wikipedia article. Rest of Eastern Europe? I need to look at a map to figure out some arbitrary dividing line? Anytime anyone gets a post in the wrong forum someone has to fix it. Keep it simple, please. Right now if a country is not listed as its own named forum (and it is not in Latin America!) everyone knows it goes in Unlisted.

We have a number of countries listed already because whoever set it up figured those ones would have lots of releases (and they were mostly correct), and everything else (except for Latin America!) goes in Unlisted. Korean cinema exploded in the 1990's and early 2000's, but back when FLM began, the internationally known Korean movies were mostly action and horror genre pieces, not so much movies with kids. Now we have many FLM-appropriate Korean movies, so I can see the value in a Korea subforum. Other countries with a significant number of Releases could also reasonably have their own subforums.

Thank you Ziggy for re-initiating this subject for discussion, building on Nasuada's initial suggestion. Naturally I have my own narrow views but I definitely think exploring other options is worthwhile.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:(...) Guyana, that is in Africa, right? (No.) Suriname, is that in Asia? (No.)
Ah... the subjects of that infamous BBC-trivia question:
"Name the smallest South-American nation which still drives on the left side of the road?"
The BBC got that one .... wróng. Even awarded the wrong prize, if mammary surfs
Technically, someone can post a movie from France in the France forum while not having to know that France is in Europe and not in Asia. The Baltics? They are near the Baltic sea, right? Does that include Sweden and Poland? (Wait, maybe not.) I'll be darned if I can definitively state what nations are in the Baltics without going to a Wikipedia article. Rest of Eastern Europe? I need to look at a map to figure out some arbitrary dividing line?
eeehm... Perhaps ..chillax??? (as all the cool kids say these days...)
While I see your point, this is a problem mainly for the American members, the Europeans, not so much. And the Americans here are ... a little more internationally minded than the stereotypical trumpanzee (I imagine). And also: Yes, while it's truly horrible one has to spend those 3.7 seconds on Wikipedia ;) , it's also edifying. Like. Which helps against the Alzheimer (relevant, given the ages around here ... )
Night457 wrote:Thank you Ziggy for re-initiating this subject for discussion, building on Nasuada's initial suggestion. Naturally I have my own narrow views but I definitely think exploring other options is worthwhile.
You're welcome, bud, but this is more due to my anal retentive, obsessive compulsion towards pointless organisation. Still, don't be scared of geography, cobber. After all, who doesn't know that Chattanooga is the capital of the great state of Austin and that Alaska is a village in Greenwich??? ;) ;)
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Darn, I had a long and thoughtful response to Ziggy all written out and then FF crashed with a nonrecoverable tab! Well, then I will just post something entirely different then.
Ziggy Plock wrote: eeehm... Perhaps ..chillax???
Like DUDE, it is so CHILL to not bother with geography and borders and those seeking to categorize and separate us! :P

I am pretty certain there is a superabundance of ignorance no matter where you go in the world. It is the only thing that truly connects us as a species. But speaking only for myself, it has taken a great deal of time to forget the useless information I once knew, and I don't want anyone to try and force it back in. Cal-cu-lus, stay back!
[Image]
this is more due to my anal retentive, obsessive compulsion towards pointless organisation.
That is totally cool. You admit it with good humor! I have my own manias, so I can hardly fault you for it. I just want to keep things simple and easy on a public forum.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

FF = the devil!!!!
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Just a small update on this matter:

NOW we DO have seperate forums for movies from South Korea.

If really a movie from North Korea should appear, please use the Unlisted forums.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REQ] Adding Korea from Unlisted to Countries

AWESOME, ghost! Great work! Thank you!