Subtitles

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle meeting

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

As I've tried to explain, making a new 'rule' that can't be enforced is a waste of time. As kev can tell you, we've often gotten posts where the ONLY thing in them was a film's name. No year, no country, no other info at all. Did we just trash the post because the info was missing? No, we found and added it ourselves.

Having the info is nice but requiring it is futile and counterproductive.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Somehow I have a feeling that we are trying to break in from an open door :roll:
ptguardian

Re: Subtitles

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

donkeykog wrote:Seems like your gettin kinda personal there. :D
It makes little to no difference if the file has subs
Maybe to you. But is it that hard to say whether it does. I realize you do not frequent this board like you used to but I do and I care about it's development. I am not an old-schooler here but I am active. "Youtuber" or not. ;)
Nice of you to take it out of context...

And then Mimzy added it back. :D
mimzy wrote:
ptguardian wrote:Requiring info about the subs is what I was referring to. It makes little to no difference if the file has subs in the container, someone offering an external as well has always been welcome.
If there are subs in the container, it would be nice to mention it IMO. Similarly whether the movie is in the original language or dubbed. Ripping subs with Subrip is a waste of time if subs are already available...
It would be nice to mention but not everyone is going to. I usually do. But the point is not to be required to.

IMDb is strongly 'advised' because it aids in proving a film's legitimacy as a professional film. A year and name are needed to confirm and sometimes to distinguish between the possibility of having another film by the same name. Subtitles while nice are a bonus, a luxury and never should be required. Best I can offer is to say I will try to mention them if I have knowledge to them being there and you can assume if no mention then most likely they are not. However as phuzzy was getting at we do not want to discourage people from contributing because a few with OCD and or variant of need everything to be required...
Phuzzy4242 wrote:It'd be nice if every poster gave every bit of info about a film there is, but it just isn't going to happen and complaining to them may make them decide not to post anything again. If a movie thread doesn't have a subtitles file in it and the poster doesn't specifically say there are subs in the container, it's safe to assume that no subs are there. Feel free to find or create subs and post them on the thread. It's your loss if you pass up a film because there are no subs - you'll miss out on some of the best films in the world.
I agree, it is your loss if you miss out on a film because you are not sure if you can fully understand it.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I think anyone actually reading these posts get that subtitles would be nice to mention if they are there. Being mindful of alerting others to the fact is wanted, please try if you can to do so if not it is not the end of all ends. Enough said. As we have always done with non-English spoken films one can simply 'ask' if they are there if it is not clear. :roll:

We want it easy for people to contribute films. I have witnessed on the scene where a site goes too far with what is 'required' to post and it always reduces the number of people willing to post and those who do that do not post verbatim to rules get ridiculed needlessly pushing them away from contributing at all. Keeping it simple strongly requesting only the necessities of a film is about as simple as we can get here. We like added information and want it but do not require it. Anything else wanted just ask. (Asking nicely preferred) Our core releasers do tend to provide more often than not. :D
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

Thank you guys for all the comments! I was having trouble explaining what I was trying to ask for. It was not a strict "rule" . I meant more of something like the "rule of thumb" or guidelines. I realize I may not have been clear enough in explaining.

Posting Guidelines: Releases
Preferably added here for new posters: I would like subs to be added
A good release has info that encourages people to download it - name of the film, year of release, country, IMDb or other links, a synopsis of the plot, screenshots, comments, and of course, an ed2k link.

I had to takes Phuzzys advice to stand back, and in doing so I realized that for the most part we all agree that subs info is important, and courteous as we all know it can take months to download a film on emule just to find out it is not what you wanted.

Also I learned that there is an "Unwritten Rule" that basically says if there is no sub info in the post, the post does not have subs. This in not an obvious rule and I am asking that something along that line is actually written in the guidelines so it is understood. I was here 6 months and never heard of this rule. I have frequently seen newbies and oldschoolers ask if someones post had subs. Sometime you can't ask whether a post does or not cause the people are long gone. Something written to help newbies to know that there is no need to ask for subs. If a post has subs, it will be included in the info, if a post does not have sub info, it has no subs currently. This saves us from downloading "just to find out".

I hope that was more well framed.
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

As I explain on the other post, I miss quoted in saying requirement. I of course don't want to discourage anyone from posting. And a hard "rule was not what I mas making my case for. Although obviously I was unclear, I hope I explained better in the other subtitle post. :D

And yes, it would be my loss to miss out on a good film.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

I agree with PTg that rules should not be so bothersome that people stop posting (I saw one site where if you didn't post 5 videos or more you will receive a warning!). On the other hand, just posting a name and a link doesn't cut it either (pssst: someone teach lara to take screenshots).

I, too, would like subtitle information. :roll: mimzy has said that it is OK to attach zipped subtitles to posts. :D Thanks mimzy. If someone finds subtitles that are just right for a particular release, please add it to thread it belongs to.

Even when subtitles are available on the various online subtitle databases, you still have to choose which one fits a particular release best, with the least timing and content errors. After you have tried a dozen subtitles and found one that works, please let us know as well, otherwise we'll be repeating your efforts.

Even poor subtitles (or even subtitles in other languages) are better that none. It is easier to edit and proof read existing subs (and translate) than to create subs from scratch.

On a lighter note, sometimes bad subs are so bad they are good, and actually add to the enjoyment of a film. Someone (for whom English was not a native language, nor had he read the book), kindly translated the subs for Jack and the Beanstalk (2010) https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... =25&t=6585 from another language and the results were quite hilarious. Had us holding our sides laughing. :icon_roll2
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Maybe we should merge these two subtitle threads. Why did you feel the need to start two threads, donkeykog?
fertoooss

Post by fertoooss »   0 likes

<< ADMIN EDIT >> This 'user' is a bot - do not reply to it.

I will usually download a movie if it looks good, even if it does not have subtitles. I have a lot of external hard drive space, and a lot of times subtitles will show up later or can be found on another site that specializes in subtitles. Every once in a while I while go through my list and check for subtitles through google. A while back I found subtitles for about 12 films and posted the subtitles on FLM quite a while after the movie was posted. Subtitles usually don't show up on older movies or television episode, but with newer movies there is always a good chance they will show later.