[REL] Jeanne (2019)

kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Jeanne (2019)

Post by kev »   0 likes

Tiny Blondie wrote:Actors’ performance is so poor, a real disaster, they should have selected confirmed actors for such a famous historical figure in France, and Jeanne was not that young, that’s a factual error. Looks like very amateurish. :(
This is kind of surprising for me to hear you say.. :shock: As per some of our conversations, I thought our tastes in film ran along the same line. Granted, I have NOT seen this movie yet, but all the advertising I've seen have painted a more entertaining film than you seem to indicate.. :think

Most movies where children are the main focus, I judge more on the merits of how attracted I am to the lead character [for me, pretty much a young girl]. It's not always beauty; the actresses ability to make me believe she's that character and not an actress playing a role is a BIG part of my filmic experience. (Although if she's NOT a good actress, but cute as hell and fun to watch, THAT criteria goes out the window. :roll: )

Yeah; basically I'm shallow as hell.. (But I do have standards!!) :lol:

As far as historical authenticity goes, I'm reminded you had a little problem with another [musical] version of Joan of Ark's younger years [that you brought to us]; https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... =Jeannette . :think
Tiny Blondie wrote:Aesthetically the film is superb (landscape, light,…), but for such a classical theme (Joanne of Arc), the approach could/should have been more traditional.

It vaguely reminded me of another mystical movie : Angyali üdvözlet, also playing with religious symbols...
My thought is; it was listed as a 'musical'; a film purely for entertainment and not to be judged by authenticity. Regardless what either of us think, the creators of this film made the vision they wanted to portray.

Big kudo's because you mentioned one of my FAVORITE weird movies; Angyali üdvözlet AKA The Annunciation. (Which popdrome also alluded to..) :heart :heart
ghost wrote:Well... Now that i have subs for this movie I spend over 2 hours and watched it.

The movie is just very weird and I think it's not meant to stick exactly to history or whatever.
You shouldn't take this film too seriously...

I even wouldn't say that there is bad acting. For this kind of "parody" of an historical drama the actors were chosen very well to my opinion.
Anyway, it was kind of fun to watch it.
That settles it then; it sounds like I have to finally watch this one for myself! :think (I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't yet!!) :oops:

Maybe I'll do a double binge with this and 'Jeannette'! :!: Get a major cuteness [and, apparently, weirdness] overdose, hopefully!!

ghost and Tiny Blondie, thanks again for all you bring to FLM! You both, and other members like you, continue to be our lifeblood! :bigups

kev.

EDIT:

Sunnuvabeeatch... :shock:

I just realized... The same guy, Bruno Dumont, directed BOTH of these Joan of Arc movies. AND the same actress, Lise Leplat Prudhomme plays Joan/Jeannette/Jeanne. Tiny's same reaction to both of them kinda makes sense now... :think

kev.
Tiny Blondie

Post by Tiny Blondie »   0 likes

The girl is cute, no problem. But really this movie and Jeannette are real disasters :lol: Not talking about the cuteness of actresses, music, landscapes and so on, but the performances. As a French, I can immediately detect what’s wrong with the interpretations, just probably as you would do with a British or an American movie. It looks like they grabbed the first child they found in the street and just recorded the scene 5 minutes later without any repetition or training. Just horrible, poor kid, it will probably kill her any chance of a career in cinema.
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Tiny Blondie wrote:Just horrible, poor kid, it will probably kill her any chance of a career in cinema.
Appearing in any movie will help her get to read for more parts. The question is, how well can Lise Prudhomme really act? Was she just limited by the material? If she has talent she'll land more roles. If not ... but personally I hope we get to see more of her! 8-)
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

Tiny Blondie wrote:...As a French, I can immediately detect what’s wrong with the interpretations, just probably as you would do with a British or an American movie...
This is what I'm having trouble understanding what you're having trouble with.... :think

What I'm getting from you is that you're going back to the director's 'interpretation' of the factual life of 'Joan of Arc' and saying these movies DON'T interpret her life according to those facts. The way her life really was. But I don't believe that was the point of these movies.

The technical aspects of them, I can't argue as I STILL haven't seen them yet. (I'm tryin', I'm tryin'.. :lol: )

I HAVE seen 2 of Bruno Dumont's TV series; Li'l Quinquin (which he created and directed) and Coincoin and the Extra-Humans (which he also did the same).

Both are like 2 four-hour long movies chopped up into 4 parts. Similar to the Jeanne/Jeannette movies they both follow the same groups of people living in the same town, this time with a 4 year time span between films. As far as the technical aspects of each film, I'd argue that Bruno Dumont is a very talented director, able to elicit engaging performances from actors that are definitely NOT seasoned actors; which [imo] added a more realistic feel to the movies. (At least to the first one [which tended to be meandering, but still intriguing], the second film had a sci-fi element to it that added an odd twist to the every day lives of the people of the town..)

All this to say; your saying the films didn't stick to the facts, the way it happened, is like saying 'The Last Temptation of Christ' didn't follow the life of Christ. It wasn't supposed to. And these movies aren't either.. (Or [imo] ANY meant-to-be-factual biopic for that matter due to all the addition of 'dramatic' material to make the films more 'interesting'...) :think

I MUST be mis-understanding where you're coming from or what you're trying to say...

I realize you think the actress is piss-poor, but from ghost and deadman's comments, I can't believe her performance was THAT bad. I watched a snippet of her little dancing scene at the beginning of the first film and was entranced...

I REALLY need to watch this film before I post anymore... :P

kev.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

But I don't believe that was the point of these movies.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say... (I only tried? :mrgreen: )

The film doesn't take itself so seriously,,, So it wasn't meant to be an exact mirror of true history.

OMG! I am so fascinated from these eyes :o

[Image]
Triela

Re: [REQ] Jeanne (2019)

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Warg wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm Reading history books seems not to belong to the hobbies of french film makers :(.
If that's how you feel about this movie, I can't wait to hear what you think of La_Révolution????
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry, I just saw this, and your remark fit perfectly, so .... :D :D

It's a vampire TV series re-imagining with Amelia Lacquemant. The revolution was against the elites, who were .... VaMPires!! Beautifully shot...

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Hmmm thanks for the bump on this, and thanks for the heads up about a new vampire drama, Triela. Usually when I see these, I think uhhhhg another vampire drama, but if you say you recommend it, I am excited to give it a try.

As for Jeanne, I can understand someone from France being more critical of the film, as it deals (somewhat lightly?) with specific moments and characters of French history. I know I would be the same way. My country makes a lot of movies that are also distributed for multi-national consumption, and sometimes I watch them and think, "oh no, I hope no one from outside the country ends up watching these!"
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:00 amMy country makes a lot of movies that are also distributed for multi-national consumption, and sometimes I watch them and think, "oh no, I hope no one from outside the country ends up watching these!"
We (the whole world) are totally judged by the stupidity of our cultural exports.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

We (the whole world) are totally judged by the stupidity of our cultural exports.
:thumbsup
deadman

Re: [REQ] Jeanne (2019)

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 pm
Warg wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm Reading history books seems not to belong to the hobbies of french film makers :(.

Sorry, I just saw this, and your remark fit perfectly, so .... :D :D

Warg has been MIA since March 23,2020. Almost three years. Does anyone know what happened to him?