[REL] Eloïse s'en va (2002) short [France]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
FLL

Re: [REQ] Eloïse s'en va [6 mins]

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Thanks gillesvolta! But please post titles as "[REQ] title (year)" if known. I will fix up your latest several posts if I have time.

The website has a lot of info on the film. It's a 6:30 short about a 7 year old girl dealing with abuse by her father.
Eloïse moves on... tells the tale of a young girl, who is the victim of incest. Her father regularly abuses her. This particular evening however, she decides to “move on” - she fills a box with her most precious possessions. She is putting away her childhood, showing that the act of incest has killed her childhood. Even if she does not really die, a part inside of her does.
The website actually has what appears to be the entire script (or maybe an advance version), in French and English. Here's the English version spoilered:
Spoiler:

Growing pains

Scenario by
Sandrine and Catherine Vrignaud Cohen

Sandrine Vrignaud Cohen +33 (0)6 86 89 88 29
Catherine Vrignaud Cohen +33 (0)6 14 61 23 13
Kacoune@libertysurf.fr

Background Notes

“Only our hearts can see clearly,
What is essential is hidden from our eyes.”
Saint Exupéry

A child discovers the world in which he grows up in little by little. He develops his foundations and roots, storing up the experiences necessary for him to construct his identity ; his sexual identity in particular. If a parent treats his child as an object of desire, he disrupts this process of creation, which is fragile enough as it is. How can the child assimilate the contradiction of having a father, representing the social and family rules, with someone who rapes him and does not respect his freedom ? How can the child understand ? How can the child not feel guilty ? The subject of incest brings up all these questions and even if it seems that the taboos and the unspoken rule of “saying nothing” are in the process of changing, it is never useless to remind ourselves of them.

Eloïse moves on... tries to address this general problem by relating a particular story.

Eloïse moves on... tells the tale of a young girl, who is the victim of incest. Her father regularly abuses her. This particular evening however, she decides to “move on” - she fills a box with her most precious possessions. She is putting away her childhood, showing that the act of incest has killed her childhood. Even if she does not really die, a part inside of her does. This is why we have chosen an open ending – is Eloïse going to throw away the box containing her childhood ? Is she going to jump herself ? This part is filmed from the interior of the house since Eloïse is imprisoned by her choice.

The story of Eloïse moves on... is set in a middle class family with two children. This enables us to underline two facts.

Firstly, incest exists everywhere, regardless of the quality of life, which here is a privileged one. Indeed, it is still too often the widespread belief that incest is linked to a social group, a lowly job (manual worker) or due to a break-up (countryman). This is false. Incest is neither a question of money nor of culture. It is truly an individual perversion and not a social one. Everything may appear perfectly normal and balanced. To see it, you must go beneath the appearances.

Secondly, we can demonstrate how in a “normal” family, the behaviour of each individual family member adapts to the breaking of the rules caused by incest. As soon as the father returns home, each person adopts a “role” which has been assigned to them and which is designed to hide the knowledge of the incestuous acts. This is why the second sequence is filmed from the exterior of the house. The personalities become players within a Chinese shadow theatre. Less real. They lose part of their personality to keep up appearances. Moreover, we show that in order to support the reality of life, Eloïse becomes a spectator to her own life, for even if the action is seen from the exterior, it is still shot from the point of view of Eloïse. The camera follows Eloïse thoughts. The sound follows Eloïse.

The silence of the ending expresses the distress of Eloïse and at the same time her determination. Time is suspended. Eloïse does not hear anything anymore and she breaks away from her family. The silence relates the inexpressible.
Scenario

SEQUENCE 1 : Eloïse’s bedroom – Interior – Night

Eloïse, a small seven year old girl with short brown hair, takes a box full of Christmas decorations, hesitates a moment and turns it sharply upside down to empty it. A red ball rolls from it and comes to a stop against her shoe. Angrily Eloïse stamps on it with her foot and the ball breaks into many small pieces.

She hears the sounds of the preparations for the meal coming from the kitchen below. Her mother and her twelve year old sister, Cecile, are talking, in their usual manner.

CECILE, off :
You’ll bake a chocolate cake for Saturday ?

MOTHER, off :
Of course sweet-pea. So, is Thomas coming or not ?

Eloïse gets up and looks around her. All the furniture in her bedroom is fashioned from light pine and goes nicely with the green and pink pastel wall paper.

CECILE, off :
Stop it mum, you’re not going to start that…

MOTHER, off :
I’m only interested.

Eloïse moves towards her desk where books, crayons, an alarm clock, and sheets of paper with designs on them and others still blank, are piled higgledy-piggledy. She opens a draw full of colourful crayons and takes out a handful, while with the other hand she grabs her designs and puts everything into the box which she has just emptied.

CECILE, off :
Do you know if Eloïse has invited Virginie ?

MOTHER, off :
No, I don’t know.

From under her bed, Eloïse takes out a musical box. She opens it and listens to it for a moment.

CECILE, off, (shouting in order to make herself heard) :
Eloïse ! What are you doing ?

Eloïse raises her head and shuts the musical box. She places it with the designs. She hesitates a second and then makes her way towards the book shelves to take a photo album.

MOTHER, off :
Leave her …

Eloïse can not resist the urge to open the album which contains photos of her from when she was a baby.
From off, the front door opens.

Eloïse violently closes the photo album.
From off, la door slams shut.

CUT

FATHER, off :
It’s me !

TITLE : “ Eloïse moves on... ”

SEQUENCE 2 : Road – Exterior – Night

(THE SECOND SEQUENCE IS FILMED FROM THE EXTERIER OF THE HOUSE. WE THEREFORE ONLY SEE SILHOUETTES THROUGH THE CURTAINS.
THIS PART OF THE FILM IS ALWAYS SHOT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF ELOÏSE, HENCE THE CLOSE UPS ON THE WINDOWS FOLLOW HER THOUGHTS AND THE SOUNDS WE HEAR ARE THOSE FROM THE ROOM WHERE ELOÏSE IS.)

GENERAL FACADE :

(SOUND taken from the dining room where Eloïse is)
The road is brightly lit. The facade of the house has lots of charm. On the first floor, two windows with curtains can be seen – neither are lit : on the left is Cécile’s room, on the right is the bathroom. On the ground floor, the dining room is lit by an interior light and by the blinking electric fairy lights of the Christmas tree. We can make out four silhouettes sitting around a table.

CECILE :
Perhaps, but it’s not right. She should have warned us that we had a test.

FATHER :
I’ve always told you to work for yourself, not for an exam.
The mother gets up to bring out the dessert. She is a small round woman, with a lively step.

CECILE, to Eloïse :
Eloïse you’ve pinched my Robbie Williams CD again

DINING ROOM WINDOW :

We move in towards the dining room window. The silhouettes around the table can be made out easier from behind the curtains. The one of Eloïse is recognisable from her short hair. She is at the end of the table, slightly hunched over her plate. She is playing with her knife and fork. The father is opposite her. He is a big man. He holds himself straight in an upright posture. Cécile is talking a lot and using her hands. Her long hair moves to the rhythm of her words.

ELOISE, half to herself :
No…

The mother places the cream desserts onto the table.

CECILE :
Yeah right, I saw it in your bedroom.

ELOISE :
That’s not true

The father takes one of the cream desserts without taking his eyes of Cécile.

FATHER :
Leave your sister alone.

Eloïse takes her dessert and eats it in silence, her nose almost touching her plate.

CECILE :
I’ve had enough – she’s always taking my things, especially…

FATHER :
Stop quibbling.

The father underlines his words by hitting the table. His tone gets sterner. Cécile takes her cream dessert and begins to eat it with her elbows on the table.

FATHER :
And hold yourself properly at the table !

CECILE :
But…

FATHER :
Right, that’s enough, go up to your bedroom !

He points his finger towards the dining room door and goes to smack her.

CECILE :
It’s not fair, I’ve had enough…

Cécile pushes her cream away from her violently, gets up, and goes off to her room, crying.
The mother gets up and starts to clear away the table, distracted and tense whilst the father finishes his cream dessert. Eloïse tries to make herself smaller and smaller. The silence weighs heavily in the room.

FATHER, in a softer tone :
Go on, Eloïse, go up and wash yourself.

BATHROOM WINDOW :

The room is still in darkness.

FIRST FLOOR OF THE FACADE :

The window of Cécile’s bedroom is lit. Cécile takes a book and gets into her bed.
Eloïse gets up slowly, dragging her feet. Neither her mother nor father watches her leave.
(SOUND follows Eloïse as she goes up to the first floor)
The mother and father do not talk to each other nor do they glance at each other.
( SOUND from the bathroom)
Eloïse switches on the bathroom light and turns on the water for her bath.

DINING ROOM WINDOW :

(SOUND taken from the bathroom where Eloïse is)
The father gets up and goes out of the dining room.
The mother finishes clearing off the table automatically.
The father climbs the stairs. We follow his progress along the wall on the facade of the house to arrive at the first floor.

CECILE’S BEDROOM WINDOW :

We can make out Cécile, laying on her bed. She is reading a book.
The floorboard creaks under the weight of the father as he passes in the corridor.
Cécile leans over, grabs her walkman and places the headphones over her ears.
Below, the mother starts the washing machine.
We leave Cécile’s bedroom to move along to the window of the bathroom.

BATHROOM WINDOW :

The father enters the bathroom and closes the door behind him.

FATHER :
It’s me.

Still as a silhouette, we can make out the father who approaches the bath where Eloïse is. He kneels down next to it, rolls up his sleeves and slides one of his hands into the water.
Eloïse makes a movement to move away.

As a background noise, we can still hear the washing machine turning.

GENERAL FACADE :

Eloïse is in the bath and her father is leaning close over her, one hand in the water.
With the other hand, he lowers the zip of his trousers.

Cécile is still lying on her bed. She gets up, the book in her hand, and sits herself on the side of the bed.

As a background noise, we can still hear the washing machine turning.

Cécile gets up suddenly and from the interior of her room slams the door to her bedroom shut.
The door to Cécile’s bedroom slams.

Black Screen

Sequence 3 : Eloïse’s bedroom – Interior – Night

Eloïse, dressed in pyjamas, takes her teddy bear, and the blanket from her bed. She kisses the bear and places it in the box filled with toys, games and her possessions.
She shuts the box and uses sellotape to seal it. With a determined expression, Eloïse pushes it towards the window. In a sudden gesture, she opens the window, and her door slams shut.

Black Screen

END
[Image]
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Too bad is only 6 mins :(
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   44 likes

I think it is much better to watch it then read it. :D

Like this post to see ed2k links  [26.69 Mb]

Another little shocker :cool
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

This is now a [REL] :icon_wink :icon_wink ;)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Eloïse s'en va (2002) short [France]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Sorry, I was gettin' there... had to clean up some things first.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

[REQ] Eloïse s'en va (2003) short [France]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Eloïse s'en va short 7 minutes
AKA Eloise Moves On

Note - IMDb says 2003 while RFF says 2010

[Image]
RFF wrote:Eloïse moves on... tells the tale of a young girl, who is the victim of incest. Her father regularly abuses her. This particular evening however, she decides to “move on” - she fills a box with her most precious possessions. She is putting away her childhood, showing that the act of incest has killed her childhood. Even if she does not really die, a part inside of her does.
[Image]

Possible DD link here (UNVERIFIED!): http://k2s.cc/file/529f2843891fa/Eloise.sen.va_2010.mp4
<EDIT> This download appears to only be available to paying members.
reastavachi

Re: [REQ] Eloïse s'en va (2003) short [France]

Post by reastavachi »   0 likes

I'm sure I've got this one somewhere. Give me some time and I'll find and share it. Wasn't it released here before though ?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Eloïse s'en va (2003) short [France]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

It may have been - I'm thinking Search is missing out on the accented characters.

<EDIT> Sigh, that's 3 out of 10 (so far) that were already here and I missed them. I did do a search for each one. :oops:
reastavachi

Re: [REL] Eloïse s'en va (2002) short [France]

Post by reastavachi »   0 likes

Ahahah !!
I think no one will get mad at you for trying and bring some new stuff here !