[REL] Il Cielo cade (2000)

FLL

Re: [REL] Il Cielo cade (2000)

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Subtitle Workshop is excellent and is used for creating / editing / converting subs, but only in character-based formats. It doesn't deal with bitmaps like .sub+.idx files. (There is a .sub format which is character-based, different than the bitmap-based .sub format. But when .sub is accompanied by an .idx it's clearly a bitmap.)

.VOB files have multiple "streams" which players know how to interpret: e.g. video, audio, subtitles. All .sub and .idx files are, is the subtitle stream extracted from VOBs. That's why many players (including hardware DVD players) support .sub files, they already know how to display subtitles from DVDs so it wasn't hard to make them use .sub files.

For the same reason, Subrip also supports .sub and .idx files. Click on the "Open IFO" button and select the .idx file. It will then be able to tell you all the subtitle streams there are. If you don't have the .idx you can click "Open Dir" and select the .sub. I just tried it with the .sub+.idx from this thread and it was able to open and start converting them.

But needing Subrip should be the exception, most subs out there have already been converted to srt or some other character-based format which SW can convert to srt. srt is not even absolutely needed if your film and your .sub sync up properly, but people have figured out that is often not the case, so they convert to srt. With a srt SW can quickly and easily retime the subtitles to match a different rip.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

Thanks FLL for resharing! I should have them soon. I didn't expect to spark to debate about subtitles but I did learn a lot. I've used Subrip before a few times but I didn't know it would work with .sub+.idx files. I'll try it as soon as I get them. The only reason why I wanted to convert them to .srt was so that I could upload them to a website like www.opensubtitles.org. Before I asked I did go around and check as many websites as I could think of but could only find the Dutch subs.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

Well I must be doing something wrong or there is something wrong with the file. When using SubRip on the .idx file, about 50% of the subtitles are coming out with letters that are unreadable. When I play the movie with VLC it all looks fine. Is there a way around this? I attached a screen print to show you what I'm talking about :blush

[Image]
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

ForAnAngel wrote:When using SubRip on the .idx file, about 50% of the subtitles are coming out with letters that are unreadable.
That's what I meant when I said "I've never been able to successfully convert sub/idx" earlier in this thread :(
FLL

Post by FLL »   4 likes

BizarreLoveTriangle wrote:
ForAnAngel wrote:When using SubRip on the .idx file, about 50% of the subtitles are coming out with letters that are unreadable.
That's what I meant when I said "I've never been able to successfully convert sub/idx" earlier in this thread :(
This problem is solved by unchecking "Use IDX's file offsets" in Global Options.

One more tip in case you didn't notice it: setting "Font Color Selection" can help. On these subs unchecking bue and black (getting rid of the font outlines) makes a dramatic difference.

Here is my pass at these subs, no proofreading just the automatic Post OCR corrections.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [92.0 Kb]
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   3 likes

FLL wrote:
BizarreLoveTriangle wrote:
This problem is solved by unchecking "Use IDX's file offsets" in Global Options.

One more tip in case you didn't notice it: setting "Font Color Selection" can help. On these subs unchecking bue and black (getting rid of the font outlines) makes a dramatic difference.

Here is my pass at these subs, no proofreading just the automatic Post OCR corrections.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [92.0 Kb]
Thank you! :bigups Your advice worked like magic! I've learned something new today :blush