TROUBLE DOWNLOADING

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
triviatus

TROUBLE DOWNLOADING

Post by triviatus »   0 likes

I have been trying to download 'THE BIRTH' with no apparent result. I let kmule run for over 48 hours and all I got was the connection icon turning green. Thinking that I had done something wrong, I uninstalled and reinstalled kmule, and now I cannot get the file to appear at all (using the e2dk link. when I first downloaded kmule the first video downloaded right away. Any answers? I am rather naïve as regarding the inner workings of apps.
What time is it Eccles?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: TROUBLE DOWNLOADING

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Welcome to FLM, triviatus. We're a friendly bunch here, so feel free to join in.

You've probably done things right if the connection icon is green. In most eMule variants, that means you have HighID - your eMule client can talk directly to other eMule clients without the intervention of a server. Much faster that way. And since you were able to download a file with it, that's an even better indicator that it's set up correctly.

The file you want probably didn't show up because no one had it shared. With so many films available, it's impossible to keep everything online all the time. Hard drive space is one consideration, but also, if you share too many things, the download queue gets too long and it takes forever for someone to get a file from you. The Birth was released here in 2013, almost five years ago, so it was almost certainly unshared.

I've reshared it now and set it to PowerShare so it will give it higher priority to be downloaded. Give it a while and let me know if it doesn't show up. Also, put [FLM] somewhere in your eMule nick and if I see it I'll give you a 'friend' slot so you get the file faster.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Looks like your client found me and is downloading, and it has HighID. I've given you a friend slot. Please be patient - my transfer speed is atrocious because I have a crappy connection, so this will take a while.

I looked into KMule a little more and it looks like it uses only Kademlia, not both Kad AND eD2K like most other eMule clients. I don't know for sure because I've never used KMule, but you may be limiting yourself somewhat because of that. Also, you should share stuff in order for your client to earn "points" so it moves closer to the front of download queues faster.
triviatus

Post by triviatus »   0 likes

Thanks ever so for the help. I am now downloading 'the birth' and indications suggest it will take a couple of days. Can you suggest an alternate app that will use both.
What time is it Eccles?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

I'm using ScarAngel right now. I used MorphXT for a long time and had no problems with it - I switched last week to see if Morph was the reason ghost can't seem to connect to me. I used Scar a long time ago, so it's nothing new. Look at Step-by-Step eMule Setup for help setting up the full eMule. The URLs for things like server lists and IP filters are a little out of date but it should get you going - you've obviously already figured out how to get HighID, which is usually the hardest thing for new users to set up.

Also, you can always ask for a reshare of a film that doesn't seem to be available. Someone usually will put it back online, and other people might want that film too but didn't know they wanted it until you requested a reshare. ;)