Slow mo or jerky on some vids ?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
billanben

Slow mo or jerky on some vids ?

Post by billanben »   0 likes

Hi all

Maybe you can help. I am probably missing something obvios but can anyone explaon and/or give solution to why this happens.

I play a downloaded file (maybe avi) on either MPC or ZOOM Player and it plays back in slower motion than I would expect but is smooth. If I play same file in VLC player, it plays normal speed but is VERY jerky (stops for periods, then plays again). Is there some settings changes to make or is it just the way the vid is and have to live with that ?

Thanx
emuler

Re: Slow mo or jerky on some vids ?

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Probably linked to the audio codec being used. In VLC Audio>Audio track>disable for testing. Speed should become normal.

Try another player. Media Player Classic is nice. BSPlayer is also good.

Another thing to try is to use the native codecs, not compatible ones. Eg. divx files will play with xvid codec and vice versa; force it to use the right codec.
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Probably linked to the audio codec being used. In VLC Audio>Audio track>disable for testing. Speed should become normal.

Try another player. Media Player Classic is nice. BSPlayer is also good.

Another thing to try is to use the native codecs, not compatible ones. Eg. divx files will play with xvid codec and vice versa; force it to use the right codec.
Hi emuler - thanks for reply. A couple of questions (hopefully without sounding too thick !!).
1. If I do as you say, I will have good video but no sound is that correct ? So this is to prove the audio codec is at fault - so what should be correct audio codec ?

2. The issue is that in Media Player Classic and Zoom Player (very good - I would recommend this one) it plays, BUT in slower motion than I would expect and sems to be no way to put it to "normal" speed ? The SAME AVI in VLC will play at normal speed BUT with pauses (very annoying) every 20 seconds or so.

Zoom Player is free but for Pro version (inc DVD front end) is about $20
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

i had a similar problem a while back, the problem was ffdshow, uninstall your codec pack and then reinstall it but make sure ffdshow is unchecked on the install list, not sure how to get ffdshow working but i haven't missed it yet, hope that helps ;)