Absolute easiest way to rip DVD

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Debaser

Re: Absolute easiest way to rip DVD

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Thanks Ghost for the advice

Its like im computer illiterate, it just takes me a while to learn new stuff, and get to grips with it.

Hmmm, maybe that meens I am computer illiterate :)

As you may have seen, I got superdvd working. I know you guys probably think that prog sucks, but ill see how it goes for a while.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Some of the techies might sneer at me, but the absolutely easiest way to rip a DVD is using Nero Recode (one of the helper apps bundled with Nero Premium.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [150.95 Mb]

Start Nero Recode.
Choose 'Recode main movie to Nero Digital'. Next.
Click 'Import DVD' and browse to the DVD or folder containing the DVD files.
Select sound track (if more than one is available on DVD)
Select Subtitle (Hard coded subs are not recommended. Set to none and Use SubRip to OCR the subs and create a srt (text based) subtitle)
Enable 'fit to target'
Select number of CDs 1 or 2. Next.
Select destination: hard disk folder
Select target folder (browse)
Click Burn. :)

You can play with the settings if you need to do more, but the default settings are fine for simple ripping.

The output file has an .mp4 extension. Most media players play this without fuss. VLC is great. If the mp4 extension bothers you, just rename to avi.
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   0 likes

emuler wrote:If the mp4 extension bothers you, just rename to avi.
That's just stupid.
emuler

OrionPax wrote:
That's just stupid.
Why? It's a perfectly legitimate course of action. Try it and see.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

MP4 = DivX or Xvid
NRJ

Post by NRJ »   1 likes

videohelp.com is a good site to go to too
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   0 likes

emuler wrote:
OrionPax wrote:
That's just stupid.
Why? It's a perfectly legitimate course of action. Try it and see.
I'm not saying it wont work, media players rarely care what extension you have for whatever format, however file extensions are there for a reason you know, a mp4 file created with Nero is not a avi file and just changing the extension will not magically change it into one, I've seen many types of files (mp4, mkv, even mpg) on emule incorrectly named as avi on emule thanks to people like you, did it ever not occur to you just to create a new file association for said file type? But no personally I don’t think it's a perfectly legitimate course of action at all, I don’t need to try it either my mp4 files work fine the way they are.
ghost wrote:MP4 = DivX or Xvid
Also AVC, DivX and Xvid are both MPEG-4 ASP which mp4 can contain however most people use Nero to encode MPEG-4 AVC.
emuler

AVI is audio video interleaved. It is the generic format for videos. You can further specify which codec/ compression is used, but the fact remains: files with the extensions .divx, .xvid, .mp4 (video) are all still avi.

To make it even more clear: A file with the extension .divx is an avi file in which the video has been compressed using the divx codec. Similarly for other extensions mentioned by ghost.
EDIT: except of course for mkv which is a container type and can hold video streams, multiple audio tracks, multiple subtitles, etc.
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   1 likes

emuler wrote:AVI is audio video interleaved. It is the generic format for videos. You can further specify which codec/ compression is used, but the fact remains: files with the extensions .divx, .xvid, .mp4 (video) are all still avi.
Sorry but you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about AVI and MP4 are two completely separate formats MP4 is NOT AVI, changing the extension does not transform it into AVI either.

MP4 can contain MPEG-4 video along with AAC audio, that is AVC and ASP etc, AVI can contain AVC (Not an ideal format for it though) and ASP codecs (XviD & DivX) but once again that does not make MP4 and AVI one and the same. Fact.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

AVI and MP4 are "container" formats, which can contain content using many different codecs. So conceptually they are similar, but they are definitely not the same format. Most modern players can play them both (and identify the filetype via its header rather than its extension) which leads to the confusion we've seen here.

I am in the "don't rename the extension" camp if only because I once had a problem playing a movie I obtained, only to eventually figure out it wasn't corrupted, it was an .mkv file renamed to .avi. .mkv (Matroska) is another very common container format, which is often used to include soft subs or alternate audio in the same file as the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave