Transfer a movie from a Sky set top box to computer HD

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Rich

Transfer a movie from a Sky set top box to computer HD

Post by Rich »   0 likes

Does anyone know how to transfer a movie recorded on a Sky (digital) set top box to their computer? and what format it will be when transferred and how to convert it to .avi? :think thanks for any ideas / help :)
FLL

Re: Transfer a movie from a Sky set top box to computer HD

Post by FLL »   0 likes

That's sort of like asking "how good should my TV picture look?" It's difficult to say much unless you give more information, specifically the model number of the box and what input capabilities your computer has (or could have). In general (not Sky specifically) some settop boxes can use Firewire to transfer to a computer, others need to be recorded to a DVD recorder or a computer TV capture card via analog or S-Video or other connections. Some settop boxes can have their hard drive removed (by the adventurous) and connected to your computer and decrypted. Etc.
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

FLL wrote:That's sort of like asking "how good should my TV picture look?" It's difficult to say much unless you give more information, specifically the model number of the box and what input capabilities your computer has (or could have). In general (not Sky specifically) some settop boxes can use Firewire to transfer to a computer, others need to be recorded to a DVD recorder or a computer TV capture card via analog or S-Video or other connections. Some settop boxes can have their hard drive removed (by the adventurous) and connected to your computer and decrypted. Etc.
well it has SCART and S-Video and firewire output terminals on the box... but all i see on my computer are USB port inputs, it's an old computer :wall guess i'd need to upgrade my computer? and use the firewire output?? :think what is the file type of the movie output?
katzenjammer

Post by katzenjammer »   0 likes

some boxes here in norway record to encrypted files...

Post by Guest »   0 likes

Firewire does not always work well with a PC. Please be aware.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Real-time copying of the actual video should get around any encyption problems, but don't bother with an old computer, you'll have skips or sync problems. Firewire in this case is better because typically the video is transferred as encoded and just needs to be save to disk with minimal encoding (as a .ts probably), but it's tough to tell for certain and some or all the channels might be encrypted. You need to google your settop box model and see if others with your service have had success, that's how I learned about how to capture with firewire.

With an older computer the following may be the best: http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/ Don't know it defeats encryption though.

If all else fails, record to a DVD Recorder and then you can convert to AVI like any other DVD.
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

FLL wrote:Real-time copying of the actual video should get around any encyption problems, but don't bother with an old computer, you'll have skips or sync problems. Firewire in this case is better because typically the video is transferred as encoded and just needs to be save to disk with minimal encoding (as a .ts probably), but it's tough to tell for certain and some or all the channels might be encrypted. You need to google your settop box model and see if others with your service have had success, that's how I learned about how to capture with firewire.

With an older computer the following may be the best: http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/ Don't know it defeats encryption though.

If all else fails, record to a DVD Recorder and then you can convert to AVI like any other DVD.
OK, thanks very much FLL :)