Complete Newbie.... How do i download?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
nkapur

Complete Newbie.... How do i download?

Post by nkapur »   0 likes

OK. I downloaded emule and was able to configure by reading posts in this forum but nothing seems to be working. I open the ed2k link in emule connect to a server and when i try to download nothing happens I am on a 8 Mbit connection mostly I get movies in minutes but on emule even after waiting for hours nothing downloaded. What should i do?
worf12

Re: Complete Newbie.... How do i download?

Post by worf12 »   0 likes

Wait...and then wait some more. If it's set up correctly then it will eventually start downloading. Sometimes it may take a day or more to start.

worf12
nkapur wrote:OK. I downloaded emule and was able to configure by reading posts in this forum but nothing seems to be working. I open the ed2k link in emule connect to a server and when i try to download nothing happens I am on a 8 Mbit connection mostly I get movies in minutes but on emule even after waiting for hours nothing downloaded. What should i do?
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Emule is all about patience!

WHILE you download torrents, visit http groups or usenet posts - keep it running in the background, and
gradually the items will download over a period of time, that could be weeks - and days if you're lucky.

on Ed2K there's no such thing as instant downloads. the idea is: you run it in the background, and keep it open.

Get this, and eMule will be a gold mine for rare files. Patience is the key.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

I am on a 8 Mbit connection mostly I get movies in minutes
That must be a lot of minutes or you have more than an 8MB connection.
Im on 50MB's and it takes more than a few mins even with that.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Debaser wrote:
i am a member of a few japan sites. and i have downloaded several movies that were 1gb or bigger in under 10 minutes. i can only imagine how fast they share with each other. (torrents of course) i have seen 2mb a second many times. on emule the most i have seen is about 800 kbs from a japanese up loader. it is the old saying "you can only download as fast as one uploads"throttling aside that is. soon enough the world as long as you pay the price will be at 100mbs or higher. until then good things come to those who wait. that being said i think this person has yet to configure emule correctly. :wall

:)
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:
Debaser wrote:
i am a member of a few japan sites. and i have downloaded several movies that were 1gb or bigger in under 10 minutes. i can only imagine how fast they share with each other. (torrents of course) i have seen 2mb a second many times. on emule the most i have seen is about 800 kbs from a japanese up loader. it is the old saying "you can only download as fast as one uploads"throttling aside that is. soon enough the world as long as you pay the price will be at 100mbs or higher. until then good things come to those who wait. that being said i think this person has yet to configure emule correctly. :wall

:)
Cool, so your part of the many MB's club as well :)
Please point me to the app where I can download 1GB in under 10mins
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

I'll not dwell on the subject because this forum should really be used to promote the ed2k platform, but.........
Debaser wrote: Please point me to the app where I can download 1GB in under 10mins
Join any private torrent tracker site & download something where the seeds include users using a seedbox. You'll achieve 2mb/s which will equate to 1gb in about 10 minutes & you'll achieve this on an 8mb connection. You'll not last long though before initially going on ratio watch & subsequently having your account disabled :icon_frown2
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Keep in mind that connections are usually expressed in MBits/sec. So on an 8Mbit line you can theoretically grab 1GB of data in 17 minutes, though even with a much faster server you will always lose something. Several concurrent connections are usually necessary to get close to your max.

I can max out my 20Mbit line with Usenet, but never any other way. If course Usenet costs money, but it's become reasonable the past year ($11/month).

Debaser's 50Mbit connection can in theory grab 1GB of data in less than 3 minutes. But a lot of connections aren't really as fast in practice as they are advertised.