Very new to emule

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Nabokov

Very new to emule

Post by Nabokov »   0 likes

Hello everyone

I am Nabokov. I have never used emule before and gave up on torrents, and p2p in general a long time ago for several reasons.

At present my kad/udp isn't working, and I assume I have to portforward - although zonealarm can still give problems? I use zonealarm pro. Any advice?

I see a thread saying 'identify yourself', how do I identify myself with you for better downloads?

Also, I have never uploaded with emule. I have some ancient DDR TV shows I got on usenet for example, if you wanted them from me what do I do?

No doubt my naive questions already have answers somewhere on this forum. If so, point me in the right direction?

Regards all,

Nabokov
loverboy

Re: Very new to emule

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Nice to see new members.......welcome to the forum Nabokov!
Yes, you do need both ports (TCP & UDP) open for eMule to operate satisfactorily. I'm not familiar with the zone alarm firewall but you'll need to make an exception for the ports. Likewise (as you said) you'll need to port-forward........tell us your router & I'm sure someone will help. I would also change the default eMule ports......some ISP's will block or throttle these.
Identifying yourself means changing your eMule username........putting the FLM tag in helps, even better still add your FLM username (i.e. Nabokov [FLM]). This allows those uploading to identify you & give you a friend slot........we like to look after our members first! :)
I'm sure any fresh material will be very much welcomed here & releasing is quite straightforward, but let's get you connectable first & able to download properly.

lb
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Very detailed instructions for port forwarding can be found at http://www.portforward.com The site is free and so are the instructions, but there are also advertisements leading to paid software that will do more or less the same job, I think.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Nabokov wrote:Also, I have never uploaded with emule. I have some ancient DDR TV shows I got on usenet for example, if you wanted them from me what do I do?
\
Sharing on eMule is simple if the files are AVI, MPG, WMV etc. Just copy your file into a shared eMule directory, then go to the Shared Files tab and press Reload. eMule will do the rest, hashing the file and then publishing it on the network. You can define shared eMule directories using Options. The incoming files directory also counts as a shared directory.

To decide what to share, use search or look in the appropriate FLM release forum (by country) to see if something you have is already here. Accented characters unfortunately sometimes confuse the FLM search function so double checking by looking at the release forum listing is a good idea.

If the TV show is already listed and you have a better (better quality or more complete) version just add a post to that thread, giving your description and pasting the ed2k link. (You get the ed2k link by right-clicking on your shared file in eMule after it's hashed and selecting ed2k links.) If it's new to FLM, use New Post in the appropriate forum.

Welcome to FLM!
Nabokov

ok, I'll figure all the details out over the next few days.

Presently I have changed my username to The Lover[FLM]

at offpeak times my download speed maxes at 220k per sec, much slower than usenet but I'm not sure what performance to expect off emule without udp working? Will I have much superior speeds when everything is setup adequately?

Now, where did I leave my router manager password...
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Nabokov wrote:at offpeak times my download speed maxes at 220k per sec, much slower than usenet but I'm not sure what performance to expect off emule without udp working? Will I have much superior speeds when everything is setup adequately?
eMule requires a slightly different mindset. Speeds are in general lower than other ways to download, a film newly released at FLM will typically take 1-3 days to complete. Older releases a bit longer as fewer people are sharing.

The reason FLM has stayed with eMule is that files on the network usually have a much longer lifetime (you can go back to the earliest films posted in 2004 and many of them are still available.) And for those which have become incomplete, resharing a file on eMule is as simple as moving the file to an eMule shared directory and pressing Reload, so anyone here who has the file on disk or archived can easily help out if asked for a reshare.
Nabokov

Thanks for that.

I'm currently downloading 'public nudity nude in japan' from the Japan thread and 'baixio das bestas', downloads are on and off, generally slow. I'm happy to keep these in my shared folder for a few days, and in future if anyone required put them back again. At present however, I'm not 100% certain how everything works, so be patient with me!

hehehe, Nabokov is one of my favourite writers. I have changed my username now though for certain reasons.