AutoGordian knot help...

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
kev
Site Admin

AutoGordian knot help...

Post by kev »   0 likes

I have something of a ripping question..

I"m trying to rip a DVD with 6 different episodes of a 25 min TV show.

I ripped the DVD with DVD Decrypter without any problems. But NOW, trying to run it through Auto Gordian Knot, I can't figure out how to rip each episode at a decent 350MB [or perhaps a slightly larger] size befitting their 25 mins.

I first tried lumping all 6 of the episode files together in the 'Job Queue' while setting the 'Predefined size' at '1/2 CD 350MBs'. That gave me a file that kept growing exponentially.. After about 2 hours it was 2GBs and by the time I aborted the task it was up to 4GBs with only 2 episodes ripped..

For my next attempt I left the size setting the same [1/2 CD 350MBs], but I only put one file in the 'Job Queue'. Within an hour or so it was back up to 2GBs.

HOWEVER this time it completed the task and I now have ONE episode of this series that's 2GBs big and only 25mins long... :eyecrazy

SOO, I guess that AGk WILL differentiate between the episodes; that much is cool. But how do I get it to make the file a smaller size?? I thought that's what the whole 'Predefined size' part of the machine was for.. :think

I know that no one wants a 25min file that's 2GBs big... :wall

If anyone can help me out with this in any way, 'twould be VERY appreciated..

kev.
ptguardian

Re: AutoGordian knot help...

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

perhaps you are making it more of a headache then you need. if you can extract each episode individually from the dvd(dvd decrypter). you should be able to compress each episode one at a time. i am not familiar with AGK but there are several load and set programs that will do the job nicely. Handbrake is a great one and Anyvideoconverter as well. both free programs with different container, size options. if you are set on using AGK i am sure someone else will chime in to help you. that has been a popular program for years.

:cool
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:perhaps you are making it more of a headache then you need. if you can extract each episode individually from the dvd(dvd decrypter). you should be able to compress each episode one at a time. i am not familiar with AGK but there are several load and set programs that will do the job nicely. Handbrake is a great one and Anyvideoconverter as well. both free programs with different container, size options. if you are set on using AGK i am sure someone else will chime in to help you. that has been a popular program for years.

:cool
Well... It IS a headache... lol But I don't think it's really due to what I'm doing...

I am absolutely no CompuTech, but thanks to some amazing techys that have created some wonderfully simple-to-use programs, I've been able to rip movies for years. I rip the initial DVD with either DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, then use Auto Gordian knot on the VOB files to create avi files that usually run around 700MBs to 1.3GBs.

This is why I'm shocked that the files I'm getting from AGk are running 2GB's and more... NOW the VOB files for each episode is .99GB despite the fact that the episodes only run 25 mins... :think

I think the important word in your post is 'compress'.. That's what I need to do, and I'm not sure how to do it with AGk... In the past I've just let the program run [as it's name implies] on 'AUTO' pilot... :)

I'd like to stick with AGk if I could. So I guess my question now is HOW do you compress the 'Output' file to a smaller size than 2GBs..

Thanks for your response, ptg.. I'm going to check out both 'Handbrake' and 'Anyvideoconverter'..

kev.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

First of all, forget Handbrake unless you want to stop producing XviD AVIs, it only does mp4s.

Second -- with AutoGK it will encode the episodes in one group if they are in the same VOB or if the VOBs are in the same directory consecutively numbered (the _x part). So if you select VTS_01_1.VOB, it will automatically include VTS_01_2.VOB. So episode 2 should be VTS_02_1, episode 3 VTS_03_1 etc. You can make this happen with DVD Decryptor.

The only time I've seen out of control filesizes happen is when a second copy of the XviD codec is installed and AutoGK sends its encoding instructions to the wrong one. Never this out of control, but worth uninstalling XviD completely, verifying it's gone (can't play using a player which needs external codecs), then reinstall the one that comes with AutoGK.

As to other encoding programs -- very few are popular enough to get much of a level of support, though AutoGK isn't as cutting edge as it used to be. In my opinion it's probably not worth the time learning a new encoder until you decide to start encode mp4s.