[split] I think I need some more help

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
vidman49

[split] I think I need some more help

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

I think I need some more help. I have spent more than 20 hours over the last three days trying to rip a dvd to post here.

I got DVD decrypter which worked fairly well - but then I tried to encode the vob files - or convert the vob files - or whatever you call it - so I could share the movie. I have tried about 8 different programs. AVS video converter and editor seems to drop frames and gives a stop-motion effect to the video. I have tried other programs as well. I either get a movie that only fills half the screen though the screen size is set at 720x480, or the picture is heavily pixelized though the file ends up being a gig in size. One program will do the first three vob files but refuses to do the 4th - even if it is the only one in the editor. I have tried all kinds of different settings in these programs - and nothing seems to work. The vob files themselves play acceptably well, with only a slight stutter-step noticeable when the end credits roll.

Programs I have tried are Prism video file converter, video pad video editor, AVS video remaker, iSkysoft iMedia converter, AVS video editor, AVS video converter, and a couple of ones I don't remember the name as I deleted them after seeing they were not going to work.

I almost posted the best file here but then decided not to. Parts of the movie look fine but some parts have a stop-motion type effect as apparently frames are being dropped. It wasn't real bad, but I am a perfectionist.

The movie - in case you are interested - is Mary Christmas (2002) - featuring 9-year-old Jenna Boyd. About a year ago, ForAnAngel told me he wanted this one, but it is out of print. Jenna appears in at least 80% screen time.

Any suggestions on how best to process vob files?

Thanks
FLL

Re: [split] I think I need some more help

Post by FLL »   0 likes

I split this off from where you posted it (Step-by-Step eMule Setup) and moved it to this forum, since it's a completely different thing.

I would first try AutoGK. Or maybe AutoGK would work for you.

If that doesn't work, try AutoGK.

See where I am coming from here? :biggrin

AutoGK is what was used for all my rips, and I believe most of kev's rips, most of loverboy's rips, many of ghost's rips. It always doesn't get the absolute best results, but it is usually very good at automatically making reasonable decisions about cropping, interlacing, filters etc. It does have some limitations, everything does, but through experience I have learned to tweak many aspects for special cases, but even if you don't you can usually get something reasonable.

Give it a try. From what you said about the problems, I'd definitely try "Force IVTC" in the Ctrl+F9 "Hidden Options".

Downloads and tutorials at http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

The other thing is, if things still don't work, people here including me have direct experience with this program and can help figure out the problems. Which isn't true for most of the other tools you've tried. It could also be there are issues with the video, but that's rare and we might bbe able to figure those out too.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I have to agree with FLL. AutoGK has come to be known as old reliable. I usually use other programs that focus on a sharper and more filtered output, but if I have trouble "Auto Gordian Knot" has been my back up tool. another easy program is Hamster. :)

one other note about AutoGK is that the files upconvert very nicely. :cool
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

i always use 'magic dvd ripper' its great for people like me who don't have much technical knowledge.you can choose to rip from disc or dvd folder,and you can also choose which subtitle to add in the cases of multiple languages.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Ma ... 71918732/1
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

vidman49 wrote:The movie - in case you are interested - is Mary Christmas (2002) - featuring 9-year-old Jenna Boyd. About a year ago, ForAnAngel told me he wanted this one, but it is out of print. Jenna appears in at least 80% screen time.

Any suggestions on how best to process vob files?

Thanks
Wow, I don't even remember telling you that but thank you for your efforts :bigups I would love to see a movie with a 9 year old Jenna Boyd. Hopefully it will be better than Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star :blush

The program that I've always used to rip DVDs is Alldj DVD To AVI Converter. Not because it's the best but because it was the first one I found and it's pretty simple. I'd never actually heard of AutoGK. I'm using it right now and I think I'm going to stick with that one from now on :thumbsup
vidman49

ForAnAngel wrote: Wow, I don't even remember telling you that but thank you for your efforts :bigups I would love to see a movie with a 9 year old Jenna Boyd. Hopefully it will be better than Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star :blush
Hey - I actually like Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star. Obviously, Jenna Boyd is the highlight of the film, and normally I don't care for David Spade, but he does make me laugh in this one. You mentioned wanting this one when we were sharing lists of favorite movies about a year ago, and I told you I had this one.

AND THANKS TO FLL - AutoGK did the trick. :clap :clap :clap

Finally, I can post a movie I ripped - as I want to be able to contribute and not just take. The movie turned out fine. I will be posting it tomorrow, as it is late here and it just finished. I want to capture a couple of stills to post along with the write-up.

I wish the program had editing capabilities. I would have trimmed off the first 8 seconds (a useless "and now for our feature presentation" notice) and the last 3 minutes after the credits, which are a couple of movie previews which was part of the .vob file with the last part of the movie on it instead of being a separate file I could have deleted.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

vidman49 wrote:Hey - I actually like Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star. Obviously, Jenna Boyd is the highlight of the film, and normally I don't care for David Spade, but he does make me laugh in this one.
So did I, I was just too embarrassed to admit it :blush Ashley Edner's dance was the highlight of the film for me :drool
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Yay! :dance
vidman49 wrote:I wish the program had editing capabilities. I would have trimmed off the first 8 seconds (a useless "and now for our feature presentation" notice) and the last 3 minutes after the credits, which are a couple of movie previews which was part of the .vob file with the last part of the movie on it instead of being a separate file I could have deleted.
Most DVDs put extras and previews into separate VOBs, which is why AutoGK's practice of always processing to the end of the VOB is normally OK.

Usually in such a case I convert (copy without reencoding) the VOB into a mpg, editing out the extra stuff, and use that as the AutoGK source. In your case I'd just use AviDemux to chop the final 3 minutes, again using Copy mode so no reencode. AviDemux occasionally screws up audio sync so you just have to check it to make sure it's OK. I am sure other editors could also chop the final 3 minutes, though some would try to reencode.
http://www.avidemux.org/
vidman49

ForAnAngel wrote: Ashley Edner's dance was the highlight of the film for me :drool
I forgot about Ashley's dance. You're right, that was awesome. It made me go to IMDB to see what other movies she was in.