Disconnected from eD2K network

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
vidman49

Disconnected from eD2K network

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

I asked for a reshare on Booky's Crush, which Starfish then reshared. After 36 hours I still did not see him as a source and I still got the "never seen complete" message, but I was getting some action from others who were apparently downloading. I went to my servers and was surprised to see I was no longer connected to the eD2K network, though I am still connected to the Kad network. The status of the Web Interface is also disabled. I am still downloading and others are uploading from me. I went to the forums and the eMule help page to see how to reconnect, but haven't been able to find what I am looking for. When I click on the "connect" button, it tries to connect for a while, but then it goes back to the disconnected status.

At the top of the servers page, it says "servers (0)."

Any advice on how to reconnect??
loverboy

Re: Disconnected from eD2K network

Post by loverboy »   1 likes

In the 'servers' pane, remove all servers

Type in the box 'Update server.met from URL'

http://www.gruk.org/server.met.gz

Connect to something appropriate (Peerates will do)

lb
idler

Post by idler »   1 likes

loverboy wrote:In the 'servers' pane, remove all servers

Type in the box 'Update server.met from URL'

http://www.gruk.org/server.met.gz

Connect to something appropriate (Peerates will do)

lb
...but really type it; if you c&p, you'll get the anonymizer in front of the url and you won't get your server list!
vidman49

I get an "Invalid URL" message when I do that
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

vidman49

That did it - thanks
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

I didnt realise people still used servers.
Been using KAD for ages with no fuss at all.
vidman49

I really don't understand the whole eD2K server and Kad network thing. I thought the reason I couldn't see Starfish after he reshared a movie was because he was on eD2K and I was only on Kad - but that proved not to be the case. Once I was back on eD2k, I never did see him as a source, though I was able to complete the movie from people who were downloading from Starfish. The movie had not been seen complete for 3 months till I requested the reshare, then I got the movie in about 24 hours.

Also, I noticed no increased performance in other downloads after I was hooked back up to eD2k. Maybe when you are on Kad, you don't need eD2K???
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

vidman49 wrote:I really don't understand the whole eD2K server and Kad network thing. I thought the reason I couldn't see Starfish after he reshared a movie was because he was on eD2K and I was only on Kad - but that proved not to be the case. Once I was back on eD2k, I never did see him as a source, though I was able to complete the movie from people who were downloading from Starfish. The movie had not been seen complete for 3 months till I requested the reshare, then I got the movie in about 24 hours.

Also, I noticed no increased performance in other downloads after I was hooked back up to eD2k. Maybe when you are on Kad, you don't need eD2K???
When using a server, your hash list of shared files is periodically sent to the server when you're connected. Servers can also share their lists with each other. When you search and/or request a file to download, the server looks through its database and tells your client who has it.

Kad isn't server-based at all. Instead, each client is a node and builds a hash table of all the searches it performs and search requests it receives. It can find files without any server but must be "bootstrapped" if you've never connected to another client. It's somewhat less efficient than server-based eD2K because it must usually go through many intermediate nodes (clients) before finding a file but it easily overcomes denial-of-service attacks and, of course, isn't as vulnerable to a centralized snoop such as the "fake" servers set up by the RIAA, etc.

Unfortunately, it also means it can be difficult for it to find rare files because it's like a spreading web and Kad limits how far the web can spread. I believe it's 20 nodes away but I'm not sure. This sounds like a serious limit until you remember that each of those nodes contacts x clients which each contact x clients which contacts... you get the idea. If kad doesn't find a file, it's usually because it's "too far away".

Does that make it any clearer?
FLL

Post by FLL »   1 likes

Once you connect to any source, whether found via Kad or Server, your clients swap sources so you see sources you wouldn't otherwise. But that obviously doesn't work as well for files with very few sources.

The longer you stay connected to Kad with the same IP the better your search results will be. If you get an new IP address daily Kad will certainly still work but not as well.

Another area where Kad is not as good is negotiating connections between two eMule clients with LowIDs. In other words, both are behind a firewall and can only make outgoing connections, not accept incoming ones. When both clients are connected to the same server, the server can tell both clients to connect simultaneously in a way that pokes through firewalls. In theory Kad has a buddy system for the same but it doesn't seem to work as well, just my opinion.

One other note on servers: you quickly find sources connected to the same server. But eMule periodically (every 30 minutes maybe, I forget) checks a different server in your server list than the one you are connected to. This way eventually two people on different servers have a chance to find each other, but it takes longer.

Server vs. Kad has NO effect on transfer speed once you find a source, it's the fact it's quicker finding sources (and finding them again when they change IPs) and faster to be able to connect to a LowID that makes the overall file finish more quickly.