[REL] The Optimists (1973)

kev
Site Admin

[REL] The Optimists (1973)

Post by kev »   0 likes

AKA: The Optimists of Nine Elms

I'm surprised that this one is not out already as it stars Peter Sellers. I guess it's sorta stuck like Gigot [with Jackie Gleason] in that Celluloid netherworld of hard-to-find movies...

[Image]

[Image]

Basically the story is about:
Ex Vaudevillian Peter Sellers befriends two kids [a girl and a boy] and begins to believe in life again and encourages the two kids from broken home to be more optimistic about life. A truly compassionate film that says despite your circumstances that there will always be someone who cares.

The two kids are also outstanding and anyone who wants to see London locations other than Tower Bridge and Piccadilly Circus should check this out. A seemingly forgotten film, but well worth seeking out.
This is another movie that one might be able to catch on UK TV sometime... I've never seen it on American TV, but I don't have cable... I've also seen it for sale on eBay, but the copies are always PAL VHS, and VHS machines are a bit more complicated to transfer to NTSC than are DVD players...

Thanks for ANY help ANYONE can offer... :pray: :)

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] The Optimists (1973)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

More information...

The Optimists (1973)
The Optimists of Nine Elms

http://www.rarefilmfinder.com/showfilm.php?id=19760
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070488/
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/105061/ ... s/overview
movies.nytimes.com wrote:Peter Sellers gives a splendid, understated performance in this gentle comedy-drama. Liz (Donna Mullane) and Mark (John Chaffey) are a pair of poor children trying to get by on the streets of London. In their travels, Liz and Mark get to know Sam (Sellers), a one-time music hall performer who these days performs for change with his dog on streetcorners. Sam takes the youngsters under his wing and helps remind them of the simply joys of living that they've forgotten in their hardscrabble lives. Also released as The Optimists of Nine Elms, The Optimists features several original songs by Lionel Bart and an incidental score by George Martin, best known as the man who produced The Beatles' recordings. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

Available for purchase on DVD here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimists-DVD-R ... B0016LFG5Q

Torrent here (UNVERIFIED!): http://isohunt.com/torrents/the+OPTIMISTS+1973
Torrent here (UNVERIFIED!): http://bitsnoop.com/the-optimists-1973-q13625959.html
These are old torrents so I don't know if they're still alive. I didn't find any DDL links and I didn't see it on ed2k.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

That's a shame because Peter Sellers looked good in this - doing something different than the slapstick Inspector Clouseau routine. From the clip, I wasn't real impressed with the kids - I think the dog was a better actor. :lol:
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

A very rare one,but they say it was released in the US,so maybe someone'll find it.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

When kev requested this I don't think it was out on dvd yet. Was rare, but now not so much. I have this and will add it to my list of upcoming releases. Although I don't recall anything too special with the kids the movie is a good watch.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   30 likes

ptguardian wrote:When kev requested this I don't think it was out on dvd yet...
...Although I don't recall anything too special with the kids the movie is a good watch.
Totally true on both counts. :)

I wasn't going to say anything because, a) I was embarrassed about making the original post and then forgetting about it, even after I purchased the movie and, b) after seeing this thread bumped, I started looking and couldn't find the DVD [same problem I'm having with 'Heaven on Earth'] {VHS in that case.. ;) }.. :wall

However while doing some cleaning last night I came across my copy and after checking and seeing that ptg had NOT posted his rip yet, I started the process...

Well, here it is:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.37 Gb]

Here's the DVD artwork:

Disk art:
[Image]

Cover art:
[Image]

Pix:

[Image][Image]
[Image][Image]
[Image][Image]
[Image][Image]
[Image][Image]
[Image]

Set to 'Power Release'. I'll leave my eMule machine on all day for a day or two, then it will be just in the evenings. [EST-US]

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] The Optimists (1973)

Thanks kev. I take it you got your PC problems sorted - I don't think there's a version of eMule for the iPad! :lol:
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

He found the imule app. :)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

ptguardian wrote:He found the imule app. :)
iMule is based on aMule for Linux (there IS a Windows version) but it's a different animal in that it's supposedly anonymous and encrypted. It's not, as far as I can tell, integrated into the eMule network - it's hard to tell from the hype and doubletalk. One thing I definitely know is that it doesn't run on iPads. :D