[REL] Here Come The Double Deckers! (1970)

emuler

Re: [REL] Here Come The Double Deckers! (1970)

Post by emuler »   1 likes

He's a good sharer, though. Perhaps he's a bit paranoid and mistakenly believes that there is a security benefit to be gained by unliking a previously liked post. AFAIK this is not true; the forum doesn't list the names of the members who have liked the post (unlike Facebook, et. al.), so I suppose only the admins can see that info, and THEY (the admins) can see a LOT more, including who liked and unliked, so unliking a previously liked post serves no purpose except to annoy the poster and his friends.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

it's extremely disrespectful,the vast majority of members here do absolutely nothing to get the material,the like system gives them an opportunity to give a tiny bit of respect to the uploader.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

That tag belongs to one of the core members here and he does share a lot. ;)

As for the likes I told you all they can go to your head and I/we are continually shown example of this with and without intoxication...

A silly little function that should not be taken too seriously.
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

I'm not interested in listening to excuses about this sort of behaviour. The fact that they are a core member simply makes things worse as hopefully they should have had a bit more respect.....& intelligence!. It's quite simple, we know there has been this sort of activity recently (I believe starfish had this happen to him) & now they've been caught. If security is of a concern they shouldn't go anywhere near eMule. I already have their IP address but stopped short of publishing it this time. I'll not be so tolerant in future.

lb
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

For what it's worth, I can vouch for the person and believe there was nothing malicious about this. I'm sorry the "likes" system has gotten so competitive - it wasn't intended to be. Rather, it was meant to increase participation from the 99% of the so-called "members". Instead it's causing friction. I've PM'd this user and don't think there'll be an issue with this again.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

I don't believe it is competitive,it's simply a matter of respect,something that's apparently lacking in some of the many faceless members.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

emuler wrote:He's a good sharer, though. Perhaps he's a bit paranoid and mistakenly believes that there is a security benefit to be gained by unliking a previously liked post. AFAIK this is not true; the forum doesn't list the names of the members who have liked the post (unlike Facebook, et. al.), so I suppose only the admins can see that info, and THEY (the admins) can see a LOT more, including who liked and unliked, so unliking a previously liked post serves no purpose except to annoy the poster and his friends.
As an admin, I have no idea what info I can get from the 'likes' function, and honestly I have no desire to screw with it..
Phuzzy4242 wrote:For what it's worth, I can vouch for the person and believe there was nothing malicious about this. I'm sorry the "likes" system has gotten so competitive...
loverboy wrote:I'm not interested in listening to excuses about this sort of behaviour. The fact that they are a core member simply makes things worse as hopefully they should have had a bit more respect..
starfish21 wrote:it's extremely disrespectful,the vast majority of members here do absolutely nothing to get the material,the like system gives them an opportunity to give a tiny bit of respect to the uploader.
starfish21 wrote:I don't believe it is competitive,it's simply a matter of respect,something that's apparently lacking in some of the many faceless members.
I concur: My hackles get raised when I see a lot of members d/loading one of my releases, and there's virtually no conversation in the thread itself; but that too is part of the game. As far as 'likes' are concerned, it's all bollocks... When you go to d/load the file, the first thing you do is 'like' the post. It has never occurred to me to 'UNlike' something until all this diarrhea hit the fan..

I don't think starfish and lb's problem is with the 'likes' system itself as far as 'I-gots-mo-than-you!' [competitive]; it's [as both have said] an issue of respect [and an act of DISrespect in these cases]..

For a 'core' member to behave like this is a real pisser imo....

kev.
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

I also don't believe the issue is with the 'like' feature being competitive & neither do I believe this wasn't deliberate or is somebody going to persuade me that this was simply a typo to unlike? Of course I have no proof that this was malicious but nothing posted so far has caused me to think otherwise. Possibly the perpetrator would like to step forward & post an apology or PM me with one although I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anyway, kev summed this up nicely in describing this as a 'cute show' so it would be a shame to allow the actions of one cretin to spoil what I also think is a good release.

lb
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I think it is also important to point out that there are ways of getting the file without hitting the like button. Loverboy puts his tag on his rips and search on the mule does work. ;) It is more notable to me that the member is sharing back what is given to them. As a releaser same as LB I use emule mainly for uploading not downloading but the few files I do download I have received a decent chunk of those files from him. Something also to note is that I have a lot of releases that have more likes than I see people downloading. What does this mean? Nothing, because the like button has little meaning...

i think sharing back shows more respect than a trivial counter. As the saying goes Sharing is Caring. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I hesitate to open my mouth because I'm stuck right in the middle and there isn't a 'good' response that won't make someone mad. Someone is certain to think I'm taking sides, condoning bad behavior, what-have-you.

ptguardian is 100% correct - there are many other ways to get a file in your queue without clicking a link. We use freekin' EMULE, fer cryin' out loud. Anyone and everyone can download whatever you SHARE. If you want to keep something only "within the family" this is the WRONG platform.

By the same reasoning, if you're offered something of value - in this case a film - you shouldn't take it if you're incapable of giving at least a small token of respect or thanks. Anyone who's spent time finding and releasing something knows it can be a time-taker, and the long-time posters usually go to the extra effort to include info, screen shots, and more. Nobody's looking for adulation but we all appreciate at least an acknowledgement of our efforts.

'Likes' are meaningless. I think I'm #2 in the standings but probably half of those really belong to ptg because he finds great short files on YouTube or Vimeo and I merely get them into ed2k format. They're HIS likes, not mine, or at least the result of teamwork. If likes are so important to loverboy, starfish, whoever, then maybe mimzy can split mine up between you. I certainly won't miss them, and if that's what it takes to make you happy...

I feel like I should be telling a bunch of you to go take a nap or sit in a corner or something. We're freekin' adults here... I think. If you're determined you want to be angry, then step away and go do something else for awhile. Everyone has made their points, we've all wasted a bunch of time on this, and it ain't gonna go anywhere but downhill, so it's time to drop it and move on.