[REL] Pretty Baby (1978)

popdrome

Re: [REL] Pretty Baby (1978)

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Wow, you put a lot of work in! Thanks, look forward to watching it (again) :thumbsup

Don't go quietly into the night.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

If I reduce your older version of 2017 to 50% and compare it to this, the new version looks rather - erm - youtubesque (dark and blurry with some water colour touch). :?
So, thanks for the effort, ghost, but the result can not compete with your brilliant previous work ... ;)

But thanks to this version I would now exclude pixelation in the bathtub scene ... :D
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   2 likes

but the result can not compete with your brilliant previous work
You mean my version from german TV? About 7 minutes were missing because of broadcasting errors, so it's not the complete movie .:(

I like this 'nostalgic' look of the laserdisc rip ;) Even if it's not so sharp.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

ghost wrote:About 7 minutes were missing because of broadcasting errors, so it's not the complete movie .:(
Could one not copy them from other versions and fit them in with the same filters? :think
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Somehow I still managed to get the 7 GB laserdisc rip posted in 2011 on page 4. This version was the best source to start working on it again...
Can you reshare the 7GB rip? It was too big when I still had crappy internet.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I'm sorry, but I deleted it after I was finished :(

But you should find it on the well known torrent sites, like here:

https://thekat.nl/t0-Pretty_Baby_-_1978 ... 00352.html
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Could one not copy them from other versions and fit them in with the same filters?
There are so many very short parts missing... This probably would mean some weeks of work :o
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

I have seen many restorations in old films even until the 60's I have always wondered how they restore a film either a laboratory or a software only exists in large studios, I still have hopes if a hero without a layer invents a software is capable to transform those movies into high definition, I hope Ghost has more magic than Dr. Strange of FLM
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:
I'm sorry, but I deleted it after I was finished :(

But you should find it on the well known torrent sites, like here:

https://thekat.nl/t0-Pretty_Baby_-_1978 ... 00352.html
Thanks anyway. It's not a big deal - I probably have 5 or 6 versions, and if you had to denoise it and do all those other things, it's probably not as good quality as we already have. I think the best quality version I've seen is the uncropped one from German TV.

It's a shame Brooke Shields was such an awful actress. She should have taken classes.
deadman

Post by deadman »   2 likes

Sully23 wrote:I have seen many restorations in old films even until the 60's I have always wondered how they restore a film either a laboratory or a software only exists in large studios, I still have hopes if a hero without a layer invents a software is capable to transform those movies into high definition, I hope Ghost has more magic than Dr. Strange of FLM
As I understand it, if you have the film's original negative the effective resolution is either slightly less or slightly more than 4K, depending on the type of film and its condition. You can always convert something into a higher definition format - but the resolution can never be higher than the source material.

If it's old enough to have bubbles, scratches, and warping what they typically do is scan the negative in at even higher resolution (like 8K) and then scan in positive prints of the film. Multiple prints whenever possible. Even if all of them are suffering from age no two are likely to have splotches or scratches or distortions in exactly the same places. What's flawed in one will be okay in another. A new composite version is created by using these prints to correct damaged parts of the original. Noise reduction and other techniques can also be applied to see if they improve the image. This process is impossible to completely automate so many hours of tedious work are involved in the digital restoration of a movie.