[REL] Alice in Wonderland (1903) / (1933)

Rich

[REL] Alice in Wonderland (1903) / (1933)

Post by Rich »   1 likes

Alice in Wonderland (1903)

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

A bit of movie history...

Like this post to see ed2k links  [75.11 Mb]
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Alice in Wonderland (1903) / (1933)

Post by kev »   0 likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you Rich! I've been looking for this move for awhile! (Albeit not SUPER hard, lol.)

I usually do an 'ALICE' search every so often on an emule search engine and have come up with some nice stuff, but THIS movie has eluded me. I'm really looking forward to getting it downloaded; thanks again.

kev.
Rich

Post by Rich »   1 likes

she seems kind of old, anyway i post what i find ;)
COLDKINO wrote:SATrip ripped by obsolete@KG; posted @cine-clasico by jangelcm
[Image]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023753/

Directed by Norman Z. McLeod
Screenplay by Joseph L. Mankiewicz / William Cameron Menzies

Runtime: 76 min
Language:English
Color:Black and White

Alice in Wonderland was the first major sound adaptation of the Lewis Carroll story. (It was the fifth film overall to have been made of the book). There had been an earlier short sound version made in 1931, but this appears to be lost. Many early sound era films were just variations on radio variety shows. Alice was regarded as an all-star spectacle in this regard, bringing out comics of the era like Charlie Ruggles, W.C. Fields, Baby Le Roy and stars like Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Edward Everett Horton and Sterling Holloway in bit parts. It is usually regarded as a lumbering, stagebound spectacle but to raise the spectre of contrary opinion, this author rather liked it.

Certainly the film treats the book quite liberally, mixing elements from Alice in Wonderland (1865) and Alice Through the Looking Glass (1871) all over the place – the film begins for example not with the famous scene where Alice follows the White Rabbit down a hole (although this scene does occur in the middle of the film) but by walking through the mirror, the less-remembered opening from Looking Glass. This freewheeling attitude toward the book annoyed many Carroll purists, but isn’t so bad, as the film is otherwise surprisingly faithful to the spirit of Carroll and finds a visual equivalent of all the nonsense poetry, unlike the stumbling literalizations of many other adaptations. Far more crippling are the drab and dumpy costumes that the cast is outfitted with, which look exactly like actors kitted out in ill-fitting costumes. Nevertheless some of the character set-pieces come off quite well – the ones we are used to like the Red Queen’s croquet game (which is rather ungainily conducted using real flamingos), The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, the Cheshire Cat – and some we are less used to – the encounters with Humpty Dumpty and Tweeledum and Tweedledee. Especially good is Gary Cooper’s White Knight.

The film was made in an era (the 1930s) when fantasy – even in fantastic cinema – remained resolutely prosaic and pedestrian. The film should be noted for its willingness to let the fantasy fly with all the nonsense absurdism of Carroll – Alice floats down the stairs and literally drowns in her tears. The climax is a memorably surrealistic set-piece featuring talking roasts and pudding and a banquet of flying teapots.The opening with Alice stepping in through the looking glass and finding a mirror-reversed room and the backs of the photos that hang on the wall is quite magical. The shrinking and enlarging effects are done with effective simplicity.

When Paramount released the film in 1933, the original running time was 90 min. Universal Studios bought the television rights in the late 1950s, and cut it to 77 minutes. The film has never been released as a legal home video or DVD release
[Image] [Image]
[Image] [Image]
[Image] [Image]
[Image] [Image]
[Image] [Image]

[nfo]AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: Alice in Wonderland (1933).avi
Filesize.....: 896 MB (or 917,517 KB or 939,537,902 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:15:41 (136,092 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 1519 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
Frame Size...: 560x432 (1.30:1) [=35:27][/nfo]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [896.01 Mb]
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

glad to see some old rarities here. i have both these plus possibly some others. as to how many alice movies were made so far, quite a few i am sure. often at that time period older actresses played kids rolls unfortunately. overall these old films are a great way to see a different perspective from what we are used to today. thanks again Rich for bringing some real classics to everyone :clap
:)