[REL] 27 Missing Kisses (2000) [Georgia]

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] 27 Missing Kisses (2000) [Georgia]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I've found later versions of VLC are sometimes "problematic". I've downgraded to v2.2.6 Umbrella and haven't had any problems since. YMMV
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Yes, it is only lately after some updates that it is so constipated. I get tired of it nagging me to update it so I just do it so it will shut up awhile. I also keep thinking that if I update it then the problems will go away, ha ha.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

I prefer the MPC interface for video files. Maybe it's just personal preference. Always easier to use the program you're accustomed to and can operate without thinking. But the first time I tried it I felt it was the better setup and started using it in place of VLC - I was sorry when the original developers abandoned the software, and very happy to see it return!

Oh by the way, if you don't like the original control keys they're completely configurable. Set them to anything you want. Just remember if that combination is already taken you'll have to assign the other function a new keystroke. For example, I set the simple forward and backward arrows to give me step forward and step back (frame by frame). The default is a larger jump. I believe I set the larger jump to be Shift + Arrow. Never use that, so it doesn't much matter.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

In VLC the shift-arrows advance/rewind 3 seconds, alt-arrows by 10 seconds, and ctrl-arrows by one minute. The e key advances frame by frame. You're right about personal preference and being accustomed to what you're familiar with. I'd bet not one person in 100 ever digs beyond the basic controls. VLC has tons of abilities buried in its menus - you just have to dig them out.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I just found out about this movie! Looks like it has a pretty spunky main girl! I don't often get to see Georgian movies. Thanks for keeping this one alive for so long, everyone!

Mr. Phuzzy, do you still use VLC 2.2.6? I am considering downgrading rather than upgrading it here soon. Any advice is much appreciated.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:41 am
I have both the NTSC and PAL versions of this movie. The PAL image is no sharper, it's much too dark, and they not only cropped the picture but displayed it in the wrong aspect ratio so everything looks too skinny. Very disappointing. That's why I've posted the NTSC version instead. This is one of the few examples where it actually looks better - there are also English subtitles included.
I think that’s the second one where your NTSC version was surprisingly better than the PAL version. (Other one was „Emmanuelles Daughter“ if I remember correctly)

On a different note, I found it fascinating how @Rich posted this film in 2004 and more than a decade later You upgraded it with your original post.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:10 pm
I have both the NTSC and PAL versions of this movie. The PAL image is no sharper, it's much too dark, and they not only cropped the picture but displayed it in the wrong aspect ratio so everything looks too skinny. Very disappointing. That's why I've posted the NTSC version instead. This is one of the few examples where it actually looks better - there are also English subtitles included.
I think that’s the second one where your NTSC version was surprisingly better than the PAL version. (Other one was „Emmanuelles Daughter“ if I remember correctly)

On a different note, I found it fascinating how @Rich posted this film in 2004 and more than a decade later You upgraded it with your original post.

NTSC is 720x480, PAL is 720x576. So PAL has the potential to be sharper and better - that doesn't necessarily mean it will be, just like a lot of videos posted online in 1080p (or even 4K) look like absolute crap. Whoever made my PAL version were a bunch of hacks. Cropping the image, screwing up the light levels, using a weird nonstandard aspect ratio (seriously, why would you mess with that?). Idiots. The disc has an Italian audio track, I notice there's another edition with a German track. Possibly that one is better but I can't guarantee it.

Greek discs often seem to look better in NTSC, as if they mastered them in that format and then re-encoded the video to get PAL. Don't know why you'd do it that way. Greece is part of the EU and always used the PAL standard for broadcasting.
goku33

deadman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 pm
goku33 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:10 pm

NTSC is 720x480, PAL is 720x576. So PAL has the potential to be sharper and better - that doesn't necessarily mean it will be, just like a lot of videos posted online in 1080p (or even 4K) look like absolute crap. Whoever made my PAL version were a bunch of hacks. Cropping the image, screwing up the light levels, using a weird nonstandard aspect ratio (seriously, why would you mess with that?). Idiots. The disc has an Italian audio track, I notice there's another edition with a German track. Possibly that one is better but I can't guarantee it.

Greek discs often seem to look better in NTSC, as if they mastered them in that format and then re-encoded the video to get PAL. Don't know why you'd do it that way. Greece is part of the EU and always used the PAL standard for broadcasting.
So I’ll get the other PAL version (German). Will report back
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »   0 likes

I think I will like this one,thx
goku33

For history, just recording that it was available on this site in 2019:

https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/video/142 ... ing-Kisses

[Image]

And: https://www.pantaflix.com/de/m/762931