[REL] Iphigenia (1977) [Greece]

vidman49

[REL] Iphigenia (1977) [Greece]

Postby vidman49 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm  4 likes

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.46 Gb]

DVDRip: Iphigenia - AKA Ifigeneia. Nominated for an Academy Award in 1977, this film was directed by Michael Cacoyannis, who also directed Zorba the Greek. The film centers around Iphigenia - played by 12-year-old Tatiana Papamoschou - though I do not believe she appears in the first 20 minutes of this 2 hour and 9 minute feature. She gets a lot more screen time as the movie progresses.

The dialog is in Greek, with hardcoded English subs.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0660287/

The Greek army is about to set sail to a great battle, but the winds refuse to blow. Their leader, King Agamemnon, seeks to provide better food, but accidentally slays a sacred deer. His punishment from the gods, the sacrifice of his daughter Iphigenia.

[Image]
[Image]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076208/
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Iphigenia - Greece (1977)

Postby Phuzzy4242 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:57 pm  0 likes

Just got a chance to watch this today and it's quite good. It's a talking movie - there is no "action" in it at all, not even at the sacrifice, so some won't find it to their taste. I knew that going in so I waited until I had a chance to watch it closely enough to appreciate it.

It tells the ancient Greek tale of Agamemnon who is the brother of Menaelus, who is the husband of Helen of Troy. Their army has been gathered on the beach waiting to sail to Troy to rescue her but the winds won't blow because the gods are angry - despite Agamemnon's order not to kill a sacred deer, it happened anyway. To appease the gods and allow his army to sail, the Oracle tells him he must sacrifice his oldest daughter Ifigenia. He doesn't want to and would have disbanded the army instead, but politics forces his hand.

Thanks, vidman49 for providing this classic.
vidman49

Postby vidman49 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 pm  0 likes

Thanks Phuzzy, my pleasure. I am glad you liked the movie.

I am glad that I can contribute instead of just taking. I have about 500-600 DVDs of coming-of-age movies (or just plain old "kids" movies) from about 25 or so countries. Unfortunately, about 95% are already in the forum. I was surprised that this one was not already listed. I am also surprised that with as much internet research that I have done searching for movies that I never ran across FLM until ForAnAngel told me about the site three months ago. I ran across him about a year and a half ago on another site.

I would much rather own the DVDs instead of downloading movies, but so many of these have never been released and this is the only way to get a lot of these movies or TV shows. It is also hard for me to order DVDs from countries and web sites that are not in English, but I have managed pretty well with that so far.

It is nice to be a part of a community that shares the same interests and has also done a lot of research that I can benefit from. :dance

And thanks to everyone who put up with me and all my questions about how to post movies and pictures and everything else. Hopefully I will make it worth your time with what I can contribute.
For An Angel

Postby For An Angel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:07 am  0 likes

I knew you would like this place! :thumbsup

Return to “Unlisted”