Venus Project

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
ColumbusCristy

Venus Project

Post by ColumbusCristy »   1 likes

Seems I'm having trouble posting? I was trying to ask if anyone had any current info on The Venus Project. It is a simple question. I explained what edition I have (15) and when it was published... and asked if anyone knows about it.

I am wondering now if I can post any questions or topics, so I won't retype my whole post. Apologies, but I put a lot of work into that.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Venus Project

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Hi and welcome to FLM.

What's your trouble with posting?? ..and what's this Venus Project all about?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I guess you could call me curious too. After a casual search I get results indicating an organization originating from the 1970s that "envisions a world of abundance where automation eliminates almost all jobs and all citizen's needs are free." Bizarre socio-futurism stuff.

There's also a NASA mission to the planet Venus by that name.

And possibly the best guess, an old (defuct?) Japanese Media franchise involving future idols. I await ColumbusCristy's response with anticipation!
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote:I guess you could call me curious too. After a casual search I get results indicating an organization originating from the 1970s that "envisions a world of abundance where automation eliminates almost all jobs and all citizen's needs are free."
Ooooohhh sounds like H. G. Wells :)

Good luck devolving the numerous employment industrial complexes that provide the infrastructure for our very existence.

In4 for more info on Venus :D

p.s. also I don't believe any post is deleted here unless it is spam / cp (which is usually link edited); even off topic is usually replied to, unless the rules changed or you annoyed one of the admins lol
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I have lost long typed posts with browser crashes. If I know a post will be huge, I compose it in a word-processing program with frequent saves and then copy-paste it into FLM. Nothing gets lost that way.
Rich_Visiting

Night457 wrote:I have lost long typed posts with browser crashes. If I know a post will be huge, I compose it in a word-processing program with frequent saves and then copy-paste it into FLM. Nothing gets lost that way.
Well, while I'm here... bit of a rabbit hole post I think, pillow did well to look into it a bit then stop lol but regardless, it's nice to still see an open community here with no censorship ;)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote:Well, while I'm here... bit of a rabbit hole post I think, pillow did well to look into it a bit then stop lol but regardless, it's nice to still see an open community here with no censorship ;)
Darned tootin true, for me anyways. I genuinely appreciate the atmosphere of the board in this respect. For one, it decidedly frees up some of the tension involved in trying to be "on topic" (meaning all responses being directly relevant to thread topics). Maybe I'd like to chat at ya guys while waiting for more info from sovrano Columbus? It is also nice to see the encouragement of reviving very old REL threads.

Rich, I was thinking along the lines of the same thing. Also reminds me of the human segment from WallE.

Night, I do the exact same thing for long posts!
Rich_Visiting

Love the positivity pillow!
pillowbaker wrote:For one, it decidedly frees up some of the tension involved in trying to be "on topic" (meaning all responses being directly relevant to thread topics).
What tension?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote:What tension?
As Ziggy's avatar says, "Exactly!"

On many other forums I've been on, going off-topic is a big no-no. Never had much trouble with it myself, but saw it constantly. For a busier board, imagine the work for the moderators to constantly have to go over. Now don't get me wrong. I still will stay within the same realm of the topic while posting here at flm! :mrgreen:
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Well now I feel special, because apparently I am one of the few at FLM to annoy the admins enough with my long tangents unrelated to the movie that they actually say or do something about it! (Just moving a string of posts to a more appropriate thread, is all.) Eventually I learned to add at the end of my 1000-word screeds two sentences that actually had to do with the movie Released, so that it looked like I was kinda sorta on-topic.

And when I was super well-behaved, I did what I oughta and created new topics in a different forum (usually Hardware & Software) instead of cluttering a movie thread with my technical questions and rambling.

Since this thread is in "Discussion / Information > General" and the original poster never clearly defined the topic, it seems to me that anything goes!