On the origins of FirstLoveMovies (FLM)

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: On the origins of FirstLoveMovies (FLM)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're saying. Except for a week in 2011 FLM has been online continuously since 2004.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:
Rich_Visiting wrote:btw I was just wondering what happened on 12th December when 507 people were on the forum :shock:
LOL, it was just some bots/crawlers. Actually from mid-November until mid-December the network traffic was about 10 times higher than usual. I wonder if anybody noticed that the site was less responsive.
lmao I thought there may have been a major 'incident', happened on a few boards I used to visitng, someone posted the link on a more public website and 'normal' people went CRAZY :shock: Glad to hear it was nothing like that!
mimzy wrote:
Rich_Visiting wrote:I would be interested to know how the forum has developed over the years I was not around, any interesting stories?
Well, I joined FLM in 2009, mostly trolling under different nicknames :mrgreen:
:think :think :wink:
mimzy wrote: My interest in the topic started in Usenet in 1990s, where caps from many interesting movies were posted. Full rips were not posted at the time, so I went through the lists of CIC and CVMC, trying to buy as many movies as I could. I ordered DVDs and VHS cassettes from rather exotic places like Russia and Brazil.
Nice, a fellow hunter from back in the day! :heart
mimzy wrote:Anyway, when I joined FLM, there was a big problem with the forum search, which was almost unusable, so I made a full site rip to be able to find things. Later I implemented a public search engine on top of that.

In 2011 there were difficult times when the forum went down and main admins were not available. Fortunately FLL, who was the main moderator at the time, set up a Twitter account that enabled the FLM users to keep in touch, but all the data was lost, because FLL had no permission to backup the database. I used the site rip that I made earlier to bring the forum online at a different domain. Also the "like" system and few other FLM extensions were implemented.

Since then, FLM has been working relatively stable with few outages due to technical reasons.
Amazing work! Thank you !!! :heart
Rich_Visiting

mimzy wrote:
Rich_Visiting wrote:I would be interested to know how the forum has developed over the years I was not around, any interesting stories?
Well, I joined FLM in 2009, mostly trolling under different nicknames :mrgreen: My interest in the topic started in Usenet in 1990s, where caps from many interesting movies were posted. Full rips were not posted at the time, so I went through the lists of CIC and CVMC, trying to buy as many movies as I could. I ordered DVDs and VHS cassettes from rather exotic places like Russia and Brazil.

Anyway, when I joined FLM, there was a big problem with the forum search, which was almost unusable, so I made a full site rip to be able to find things. Later I implemented a public search engine on top of that.

In 2011 there were difficult times when the forum went down and main admins were not available. Fortunately FLL, who was the main moderator at the time, set up a Twitter account that enabled the FLM users to keep in touch, but all the data was lost, because FLL had no permission to backup the database. I used the site rip that I made earlier to bring the forum online at a different domain. Also the "like" system and few other FLM extensions were implemented.

Since then, FLM has been working relatively stable with few outages due to technical reasons.
edit I already replied to the post, I guess this is a new reply interpretation (who says singular perspective is flawed!)...

Hey mimzy, I was going to PM you to ask you to merge my previous nick with the one I'm posting with now, but a search of your username made me aware I missed your reply to my post!!!! I'm really sorry, I hate rudeness but I don't come here very often now. So I will reply...

Wow, I'm amazed that film caps were available under alt.binaries the only things I remember from those usenet days are the more risky areas of abpel or mclt and others lol (but we are talking 20+ years ago now!). It's really cool that your interests were in OT movies from around the world at that time when there were so many other temptations! It seems you were ahead of me with CIC and CVMC, I'm sure you used the Moviegirls list too (as I did!). I did not know many suppliers / interesting sources from Russia / Brazil, aside from Brazil Video (could be wrong with that name it was a lomg time ago) which had videos of beaches (and girls on beaches) in Brazil, so not really legitimate film productions lol.

It's awesome how you backed up the site and kept it running! I really appreciate it because of what FLM stands for (I'll try not to lecture the cause in this post as I usually do lol), but thank you!

I don't stop by here often but if you can merge this nick with my Rich nick it would be appreciated, ghost can confirm it's me lol

Or PM me and I'll get back to you.

Thank you again!
Last edited by Rich_Visiting on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich_Visiting

Rich_Visiting wrote:ghost can confirm it's me lol
Or this can... when you post FLM links on all the GL forums in the 2000's hahah :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Image]

Thanks mimzy :-)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Ahhh it's weekend and Rich is visting again ;)

Always nice to see one of the guys from the very old days :)

I think we all have no doubts, that it is really you visiting. Yeah, would be cool if your old account could be merged with the new one.
Mimzy was able to do this with me, when I returned in 2016. I hope this will be possible in your case, too.

So, nice to see you again and have a nice time! :thumbsup
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

I'm thinking of the Joan Baez song Diamonds and Rust. The lyrics go like this:

Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago...

Rich goes AWOL for 10 years, then comes back. I go AWOL for 5 years, then come back. Any others?
Rich_Visiting

ghost wrote:Ahhh it's weekend and Rich is visting again ;)

Always nice to see one of the guys from the very old days :)

I think we all have no doubts, that it is really you visiting. Yeah, would be cool if your old account could be merged with the new one.
Mimzy was able to do this with me, when I returned in 2016. I hope this will be possible in your case, too.

So, nice to see you again and have a nice time! :thumbsup
Hah thanks ghost, as we get older I guess it is normal to remember the past 8-) As mentioned I'm not in a position to contribute to the site regularly, but I do like to tell a few stories after a few beers haha :all_coholic :onfire :thumbsup It would be nice to post on my original nick but if it will be a pain to do then it doesn't matter so much ;-)Thanks as always for the kind words, hope you're doing alright :heart
emuler wrote:I'm thinking of the Joan Baez song Diamonds and Rust. The lyrics go like this:

Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago...

Rich goes AWOL for 10 years, then comes back. I go AWOL for 5 years, then come back. Any others?
I like this emuler! 8-) 8-) Hopefully a few others will return, even just to say hi and that they are still alive lol
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

ghost wrote:I think we all have no doubts, that it is really you visiting. Yeah, would be cool if your old account could be merged with the new one.
Gotta find that script :think
Rich_Visiting wrote:I like this emuler! 8-) 8-) Hopefully a few others will return, even just to say hi and that they are still alive lol
I'm missing few members too...

Our favourite band in high school ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVyS9JwtFoQ
Rich_Visiting

mimzy wrote:
ghost wrote:I think we all have no doubts, that it is really you visiting. Yeah, would be cool if your old account could be merged with the new one.
Gotta find that script :think
lol thanks mimzy, if it's a difficult job then there's no need, I'm not around enough to justify something that takes a long time :idea: But thanks 8-)
Kel

Post by Kel »   2 likes

emuler wrote: Rich goes AWOL for 10 years, then comes back. I go AWOL for 5 years, then come back. Any others?
Rich was here last year I think. But nice to see you.