On the origins of FirstLoveMovies (FLM)

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Rich_Visiting

On the origins of FirstLoveMovies (FLM)

Post by Rich_Visiting »   3 likes

Well, since I have been so warmly welcomed back :heart I thought I would contribute with, for those interested, a brief (sorry it got longer as I was typing :lol:) post on the origins of FLM!

I won’t go into all the details due to the forum rule changes, which I respect and actually think is a very good idea! Especially when a person’s freedom / reputation can be dependent upon not only the law, but an emotional interpretation of intent in regard to a collection of films / film clips.

Here we go...

My initial interest in girl movies originated from the film Leon (1994), like so many other guys from that era one could not help but fall for the performance of Mathilda :heart In terms of mainstream movies, Natalie Portman was certainly the Jodie Foster of the 70’s, the Brooke Shields of the 80’s, the Kristen Stewart (?) of the 2000’s and the Chloe Moretz of the 2010’s.

It was 2002-ish and I heard of a movie called Klatretøsen (2002) which caught my interest, it was difficult to locate (for free) being an international movie. A friend recommended Kazaa, which was in full bloom at the time. It became clear that p2p was definitely useful for finding girl movies! A couple of years later (ish), whilst looking for info on a movie called Pretty Baby (1978) I came across this website…

https://web.archive.org/web/20070531131 ... ovies.html

My mind was blown!! 8-) I did some research on p2p and found that, for the rarer movies, eMule was the best choice :heart I also found many of the movies on the Moviegirls list available on the network. It seemed a shame that more people were not sharing them (most had just one source, I wonder who that guy could have been lol ;) ). So, using the Moviegirls website I set up FLM, originally in the form of a list, with fiery little icons that you could click on with the eMule link embedded :lol:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031227045 ... movies.htm

Through the eMule chat I directed some of the sources to the FLM website, but it became clear that a static list had its limitations, thus the FLM forums were born 8-)

https://web.archive.org/web/20040831141 ... ame=Forums

There has been some debate in the past over the choice of name for the website, what does it mean? Is it a statement of love for movies? Actually, my memory is kind of hazy on this, at the time of creation I had a thing for childhood romance having watched the movie Great Expectations (1998), amazing kiss scene! :heart But I also felt strongly for the aforementioned character in Leon :heart . My gut tells me that the choice for the name of the website came from first love IN movies (childhood romance movies). But either way the term FLM is no way alluding to a first love FOR movies.

Relationships developed on the forum, but credit goes to ghost for being the primary contributor at the beginning :heart At the time I also created a few fake profiles and even had full conversations with myself just to get the site going hahah When I eventually told a few members this they were less than impressed, thought I was completely out of my mind but fortunately decided to stick around :lol:

eMule links were posted, shared and then the real research began! Children in Cinema (CIC) [Still active!] was an excellent resource at the time and later I developed a good relationship with the owner and we helped each other find girl movies. He also kindly placed a thanks to me (Yenool, Al Fonz, and Moviegirls) on the front of his site (left red box)…

https://web.archive.org/web/20070221050 ... inema.com/

Yenool has always been a bit of a mystery, we first met on a well known "blue board" of the mid 90's, then he vanished, then amazingly (small world) appeared on the CIC website :shock: I'm guessing that, like myself, he decided that girl movies were a way forward for him.

CVMC [Still active!]was also excellent, unfortunately the owner passed away (RIP) and I’m not sure if he was ever aware of FLM or not. Other notable sites were nordicdvd (Kvernan) [Still active!] who had an amazing collection of rare DVD’s and was an avid fan of Oksana Akinshina from the movie Lilya 4-Ever (2002) :heart. Puer.to [no longer active]…

https://web.archive.org/web/20050225051 ... w.puer.to/

Puer was an extensive list of child actresses (and actors) that allowed for me to find a great many number of rare girl movies especially from Russia! It literally took me weeks to get through the entire list of girl names! Star Galaxy [Still active!] should also be mentioned and still has some very interesting photo sets from movies! I’m veering off topic now but talking of Russia, I should also mention [ArjLover] whos collaection is still active (not just child movies) and was an excellent resource.

I can’t remember when exactly I handed over the forum, my last posts were in 2009 so that seems about right. My reasons were that having been glued to the internet since 1996 I wanted to at least attempt to live in the real world for a while, develop relationships and live “life”.

Hope you enjoyed this little story! Please feel free to ask any questions! Apologies if I have missed anyone / anything, it is just a story of the beginnings and not a complete history. Once again I very much appreciate the efforts that have been made to keep the site alive and full respect to the admins and contributors. Also, I would be interested to know how the forum has developed over the years I was not around, any interesting stories?
ghost
Site Admin

Re: On the origins of FirstLoveMovies (FLM)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks for this flash back into time! ;)

It was fun to see the old sites again after so many years.

BTW: email sent.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Thanks for this flash back into time! ;)

It was fun to see the old sites again after so many years.

BTW: email sent.
Yes, nice to think about simpler times, but don't all old people say this hahah

p.s. I sent you PM :-)
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

RICH!!! OMG!!!

How did you even find your way back here after all that's happened??

Well, I'm glad to see that you're well and as articulate as ever after all these years! :)

mimzy did a great job reviving and keeping the heart of FLM alive after things went down, and we've all tried to keep the spirit of your creation going despite the sensitive nature of some of the films the site has to offer...

Thanks for the romp down memory lane, and the added details about FLM's creation. I haven't visited the sites you highlighted in years.. Glad to see some of them are still thriving..

I met you at GirlChat [still alive, also.. :) ] and our mutual interest in movies prompted you to invite me to visit FLM. I'm forever in your debt for that, as this is basically the ONLY site [of it's kind] I've retained my membership with. Somehow I was invited to join the admin team, but my limited compu-knowledge has probably made me the least helpful of the crew. :shock:

Still, I love it here and I'm as enrapt as ever with coming of age movies and the children that star in them.. :heart

I'm so glad you found your way back home, and I hope your 'visit' will become an 'extended stay' and even become permanent... Stay safe!!

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

kev wrote:Somehow I was invited to join the admin team, but my limited compu-knowledge has probably made me the least helpful of the crew. :shock:
Aw, c'mon kev, you're just as important to keeping things going as anyone else.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
kev wrote:Somehow I was invited to join the admin team, but my limited compu-knowledge has probably made me the least helpful of the crew. :shock:
Aw, c'mon kev, you're just as important to keeping things going as anyone else.
Thanks phuzz.. I wasn't phishing for compliments, I promise.. :?

But especially now that my access to ed2k is pretty much nil these days, I'm feeling a tad useless; especially, ESPECIALLY now that whatever safeguards that mimsy and you have put up have eliminated all the spam we used to get and I'm not busying myself deleting anything anymore... ~sigh~ :lol:

(We know who the real 'keepers-of-the-gates' are around here... ;) )

Anyway, it's great to see Rich popping back in. I hope he's happy with the way things are running here at FLM, despite how quiet it's been of late.. :icon_sleep1

kev.

(DAMN!! I really LOVE smilies, don't I??) :think :lol:
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Rich, may I utilize your rich experience (pun intended :lol:) for the identification of these two movies? Maybe you have a clue ... :pray

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... 219#p78376
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

kev wrote:But especially now that my access to ed2k is pretty much nil these days, I'm feeling a tad useless; especially, ESPECIALLY now that whatever safeguards that mimsy and you have put up have eliminated all the spam we used to get and I'm not busying myself deleting anything anymore... ~sigh~ :lol:
Those safeguards are mainly requiring new users' posts to be approved before anyone sees them. Ghost and I just delete the spam posts and the user names that created them. We kill a lot of them while the spammer is still online. :lol: Easy peasy, it's just a PITA. It's all coming from the same source and automated - we'll probably get spam from them forever.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   2 likes

In case anyone has forgotten, tomorrow February 19, 2019 is the 15 YEAR ANNIVERSARY of First Love Movies. :bdaysmile :dance :icon_1roflmao :icon_alc :icon_beergulp :icon_cool4 :icon_gg :icon_idea2 :icon_party :icon_roll2 :icon_schulz :icon_specool :icon_thumbsup :icon_thumbup1 :smile-l

(I like smilies too. LOL)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

[Image]

Really?!? :o :shock:
And we became 15years older too! Oh my God!! :icon_old