Renewed! [EDIT: Not so fast... ]

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
FLL

Re: Renewed! [EDIT: Not so fast... ]

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Backorder services are ubiquitous, you see them every time you do a whois. That's what replaced the domain sniping before the grace period was instituted, back then if you let a popular domain expire it was gone as computers looked for expiring domains and reregistered them milliseconds after they expired.

We're not going to worry about that right now, that's nowhere near top priority and we have time for that later.

An opinion: you should let the admins figure out this stuff. We are at stage 3 of the plan and need to wait and see how it goes.

By the way... this isn't exactly our anniversary... I think ghost registered this domain in 2005 when they were having problems getting the firstlovemovies.com webhosting moved when Rich gave up control. They did eventually get it moved and this domain sat unused until 2007 when ghost moved the site to it when we had problems with our webhost being very expensive for low bandwidth.

It should go without saying but I will say it: we need to do what we need to do to keep us alive and online, but this is ghost's site. Without him taking it over in 2006 and running and improving it since then there would be no FLM left to save. :clap :clap :clap
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

FLL wrote:An opinion: you should let the admins figure out this stuff. We are at stage 3 of the plan and need to wait and see how it goes.
So what's the plan? :think

Looks like the registrar is keeping the domain locked for a while, letting the original owner renew it for a premium fee. After that they may sell the domain on an auction. As far as I understand, the backorder service does not guarantee anything.

Besides, we don't know how long the server is paid.

Better start thinking about about setting up a new server. Would be a chance to make a software upgrade and fix the search as well.

Might not be that hard to make a script for populating the database from an HTML rip :think

Anyway, let me know if help needed.

Post by Guest »   0 likes

BizarreLoveTriangle wrote:
FLL wrote:An opinion: you should let the admins figure out this stuff. We are at stage 3 of the plan and need to wait and see how it goes.
So what's the plan? :think

Might not be that hard to make a script for populating the database from an HTML rip :think

Anyway, let me know if help needed.
BLT, if you could do this it would be a big help under this circumstances.

But of course FLL would need to accept offering help...
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

I have already worked on and worked out tentative plans for much of this, but I really don't feel like detailing and debating each step right now. Please look at my track record here:

- I realized we had a problem and alerted people ahead of time.
- I set up a twitter account to keep people informed.
- I figured out and wrote up the workaround for when the domain did go down so we could be here debating this (Ok, that's looking like a bad move right now ;) )

Noone else was on top of this problem in advance.
So have some faith, I'll let you know when milestones or roadblocks are reached.

Post by Guest »   0 likes

FLL, no one is accusing you doing nothing or the wrong things.
It's just that some people think their comments may help you.
Some of us are using brainstorming as a common thing, at work as example.

So simply ignore it if not relevant or pick up an idea if it seems useful to you.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

FLL's right this is Ghost's site so creating a new site out of this one might not be a good idea. at least not until every other option is exhausted. I too have been looking into the creation of another site but this would be something entirely different that would compliment not replace this one.

the twitter idea obviously worked. :clap FLL has done well with what he has to work with.

nothing wrong with brainstorming from everyone though. what if Ghost is out of the picture to long to help us out? I have my own theories of his absence but voicing them won't help matters here. again whatever you need FLL if anything let me know. :)
ptguardian

FLL wrote:By the way... this isn't exactly our anniversary... I think ghost registered this domain in 2005
Oldest release I found was this one in February 2004 https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... ghlight=#7 good release as well :cool
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:FLL's right this is Ghost's site so creating a new site out of this one might not be a good idea. at least not until every other option is exhausted. I too have been looking into the creation of another site but this would be something entirely different that would compliment not replace this one.
I think we should start preparing a new site in the background. Since we don't know for how long the server is paid, the whole site can go down any day, and then it's too late.

Remember that this site is the only way to authenticate users. When it goes down, we cannot create the same user accounts on the new server anymore, because we cannot prove that, for example, "ptguardian" on the new server is the same person as "ptguardian" on the old server.

Of course we wouldn't switch to new server before the community agrees. We could make a poll.

If by "creating a new site out of this one" you mean copying all posts and user accounts, I think it would be a better idea than starting from scratch. In fact, it would be the same site, just on a new server. I've been a member of some forums that changed domain and had to start from scratch (because the admin failed to make/use database backup) and it took months if not years until the new forum reached the same activity. Many users never created an account on the new server anymore.

It would be interesting to hear more about FLL's plan. If he's got everything sorted out, we could make a nice holiday and wouldn't have to worry about FLM.

I think we should work as a team. Remember that it's the users who make a site. What's a site with an admin and no users worth?

Of course we all hope that Ghost will be back soon and everything will be OK again :pray
ptguardian

Some good ideas BLT. I have some similar ideas that I already passed along to FLL. we will see what he plans to do. for now we are here and I will go about as normal. I already have obtained more here than I can watch and as result very thankful for the experience. if it ends and all is lost I will be sad but not hurt. life will go on. :cool
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

I am not avoiding you, I have been VERY consumed by real life since Wednesday. In fact I will be away most of the rest of the weekend, though I hope to stop by again tonight. I will answer your concerns then or on Monday.