HD video

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: HD video

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:
If you're going to spend the money anyway, it makes sense to buy high-end so you don't buy twice.
The flip side of that remark is the fact that hardware prices tend to come down, especially in things like DVD Writers. I personally remember buying a CD Writer many years ago for TEN times the current price of a DVD writer. :bigups (If you factor in inflation, think 15 times at least). So, the chances that you'll get a BluRay burner for half the current price next year are rather good.

If he can afford it, let him get a BluRay writer and use that for storing his videos in the format the camera puts out (he should of course make the appropriate settings in the camera to get the best quality output - largest file size). No harm done if his clips are not very large - he can put several clips on one BluRay disc just like you are currently doing with compressed movies on DVDs.

Word of caution: CDs, DVDs, BluRays etc. do go bad occasionally/ eventually. You put 500 movies on one disc and that disc goes bad... there's a big hole in your collection. :bigups
I too remember paying big $$ for a <gasp> double-speed CD burner, but I didn't want to wait. :) Yes, prices will come down, but Willow's friend wants something now, and if he's going to spend the money anyhow...

You're right again when you say discs go bad - they do deteriorate over time, especially if you let ANYONE borrow them. If you do, I guarantee you'll end up with missing, scratched or trashed discs - I saw how my kids treated their own discs. The few times I've had a file, or even an entire disc go bad, I've always been able to replace the files on it - ain't the web wonderful? - and the really rare stuff is backed up twice.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Blu-ray isn’t really taking off anyway.
I know many people that don’t want to go there, not to mention word that it’s already old hat and due to be replaced in a couple of years.

Save your pennies.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

While BluRay as a content distribution medium might have a somewhat limited future, it is nice to be able to put almost 50GB on a single disc.

The proliferation of HD is putting pressure on storage solutions. A BDRip typically fits on one DVDr if it is 720p. For 1080p it takes about 11GB, which won't fit. People have used 6.5GB sized rips which will fit on a dual layer DVD, but dual layer blank media does cost more.

What will really kill the size advantage BDRips have over the original BluRay is 3D. If a 1080p 3D BDRip is going to take over 20GB, might as well get the BluRay original, or download the BD iso and burn it.
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

loverboy wrote:I've never worked with DV input but I'm guessing we're talking significant file sizes that will need raw processing power & loads of memory for editing/encoding.
The device I am using for ripping VHS tapes has DV output. I haven't ripped VHS for a while, but if I remember correctly, the size of raw DV was in the order of 1 GB/minute.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

am i the only one that can remember the joy of getting my commodore64 with built-in floppy drive,a mouthwatering 1meg of storage space?
:think

[Image]
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:am i the only one that can remember the joy of getting my commodore64 with built-in floppy drive,a mouthwatering 1meg of storage space?
Oh yeah. I wrote my first program for ZX Spectrum. It was saved on an audio cassette. Floppy was a big step forward...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I had a Tandy 100 - one of the first practical laptops - with 8K RAM and tape for storage. When i finally got a diskette drive for it, each disk stored 100K. I've had Timex, TI, Atari, Commodore, and Tandy along with PCs. I still have the original diskettes for Windows 1.0. :biggrin We've come a long way, baby!
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

willow wrote:Asking for a friend at the best possible place I guess.

He is using a HD video camera when he is on vacation. Back home he wants to transfer, cut and convert this video material.

Which way should he save the movies on
a) HDD
b) DVD and/or Blu-Ray

to get the best quality possible.

It's not a matter of money in his case. :blush

Help will be very much appreciated.
of course it depends on file size. i do a lot of hd video. i save 2 copies
1 copy to my hard drive and 2nd to a disc for archive. the one on my hard drive i use for editing. if you don't like your editing job you can always start over as long as you keep the original file. if money is not a problem than the player should also be factored in. the camera i have shoots h264 and is recognized by my ps3. through up-conversion the quality is not only unchanged but is enhanced from original. this is easy because i don't have to convert only edit. so this will depend on how the file is to be played.

is he converting for himself or to also share with others? if he is sharing than making a dvd would be best as most people have dvd players. if it is for himself than he only needs a good media player.

:)
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Debaser wrote:Blu-ray isn’t really taking off anyway.
I know many people that don’t want to go there, not to mention word that it’s already old hat and due to be replaced in a couple of years.

Save your pennies.
i am glad you were very very wrong :cool

parkerkevin73 What are you talking about? spambot?