My slave drive.....

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Debaser

Re: My slave drive.....

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Well my computer is still hanging on, just!

It’s all very strange though:

The clicking noises continue to occur every 1 in every 5 times that I hit the power button, causing the computer to simply refuse to start-up.

The clicking noises still occur when I transfer large files from the slave to primary disk or vice versa, or when handling any large file on the slave drive, usually resulting with a crash.

Strangest of all: When I hit the power button and the clicks start. If I hit eject on my DVD drive, my computer resumes loading normally.

Also, the other day everything seamed fine when suddenly I hear one loud click, and then im faced with the blue screen of death!!

Can it be that both HDD's and my DVD drive are all failing lol???
If my HDD’s are failing, they sure are taking a long time to die.

Actually it’s not even funny because one day this machine will surely give up, and then ill be stuffed!
katzenjammer

Post by katzenjammer »   0 likes

Hope they'll survive another summer som you have a chance to rescue what's worth to rescue.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

does it run on coal by any chance?

Post by Guest »   0 likes

You should consider to replace that drive.

The DVD drive is probably on the same bus...
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

i have had many computers crash over the years and as result i always save everything to external hard drives. if my computer goes now i will only loose a few programs that i can download again no problem.

my main computer in on 24/7 and is over 4 years old. i clean it once a month and upgrade parts when i see a deal. a little routine maintenance goes a long way. :cool you may just need to replace a few things.(lot cheaper than a new computer) with the upgrades i have done cheaply one at a time over time. this basic computer i started with now does full 3d and lossless audio with hdmi 1.4a output. it runs almost silent and tackles the toughest video with zero lag. i bought a I-5 laptop last fall and it has already crashed once. i had to do a complete re-install. but because i only had a few programs and zero files on it, only time was wasted :)
plonkah

Post by plonkah »   0 likes

Hi DB

If your DVD and slave HD share same bus and they are both having problems then either the motherboard is banjaxed, or the slot used as a SATA connection is. The very first thing to do is make a sector back up of your slave drive = you can then restore to similar spec replacement drive. I would then say ditch the motherboard or buy new computer whichever cheapest.
plonkah

Post by plonkah »   0 likes

Debaser wrote:Well my computer is still hanging on, just!

It’s all very strange though:

The clicking noises continue to occur every 1 in every 5 times that I hit the power button, causing the computer to simply refuse to start-up.

The clicking noises still occur when I transfer large files from the slave to primary disk or vice versa, or when handling any large file on the slave drive, usually resulting with a crash.

Strangest of all: When I hit the power button and the clicks start. If I hit eject on my DVD drive, my computer resumes loading normally.

Also, the other day everything seamed fine when suddenly I hear one loud click, and then im faced with the blue screen of death!!

Can it be that both HDD's and my DVD drive are all failing lol???
If my HDD’s are failing, they sure are taking a long time to die.

Actually it’s not even funny because one day this machine will surely give up, and then ill be stuffed!
It is either the bus, the bus interface or else the motherboard. If your primary drive (with your OS) is working fine, this rules out the whole motherboard. FFS back up your slave drive NOW !!! The problem is that unless these two devices )DVD and slave drive) are on separate daughterboard, you will HAVE to go for new motherboard or PC - whichever is cheaper. If you have nothing other than OS on C drive, may be easier to reinstall OS from scratch rather than sector backup. PM me if I have confused you !!!
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Possibly it's the power supply getting flaky or being overloaded. Some of those problems are when there are surges in power use.

One other remote possibility (almost certainly not it): is your entire system not plugged into the same wall outlet? At one point I had a system which would sometimes not power up, which I finally figured out was the monitor plugged into one wall outlet and the rest of the system on another, and the two outlets were on different circuits leading to strange ground problems.

In general I usually suspect power or grounding first when things are flaky and I am often right.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I originally had a 250w power supply and then upgraded to a 600w. i am not sure about the drive, but it helped my graphics card and also my cooling. i have heard others say their dvd drive runs smoother. i however couldn't tell a difference. one computer I had did have trouble starting and replacing the power supply solved that problem as well.
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

Been there, done that...

Replaced power supply -- still problem.

Replaced drive -- still problem.

Replaced mainboard -- PC does not boot at all :wall

Finally I just went and bought a new PC.

BTW, harddisks are continuously monitoring and recording their own state of health parameters. I use this data as an early indication of drive failure. Of course I am not relying on a single harddisk.