Upload limit help

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
blip

Upload limit help

Post by blip »   0 likes

I am new here and am wanting some help with eMule. I have searched here and on the eMule site with no luck.

I have a very erratic upload speed and drop many of my uploads.

This is due to the growing online gaming in the area and the ISP's failure to keep up.

I was wondering if there is any changes in my .ini file I could make to limit the number of uploads at one time.
I currently have 16MBps chosen as my upload limit, but my ISP service drops below .06Mbps most of the day and I get multiple drops and standbys coming up.

I have the newest Morph Mod downloaded but not installed. Would this solve my problem.

I only wish to contribute.
BizarreLoveTriangle

Re: Upload limit help

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

Blip wrote:I was wondering if there is any changes in my .ini file I could make to limit the number of uploads at one time.
I currently have 16MBps chosen as my upload limit, but my ISP service drops below .06Mbps most of the day and I get multiple drops and standbys coming up.
The number of simultaneous uploads is controlled by the "Slot Allocation" parameter. You can use, for example, Upload 60 kB/s, Slot Allocation 6 kB/s, so you upload to 10 peers at 6 kB/s each.

Or did you mean that you have 60 k*bit*/s upload? That would really suck :wall

Perhaps you have a decent upload speed at night?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

If the speed drop is caused by the ISP, there's little you can do locally to fix it. Many ISP's cap their users based on amount transferred or ports used. You can change eMule to use "nonstandard" ports and sometimes fool the ISP, but it sounds like that's not the problem - either they're throttling you or their lines are overloaded. Think of it like a pipeline - only so much can go through it at a time unless you get a bigger pipe. If they've closed the valve to your house so only a trickle gets through...

If the connection provided by the ISP is slow, you have little choice unless you can use a different ISP, which is often not a possibility. There may also be a line problem that can be fixed. If your router can report line quality, check the signal-to-noise ratio (SN or SNR) - higher is better but at least 10db. Line attenuation is amount of power loss - less is better and should be no more than about 60db. A bad line can make everything slower because packets have to be resent and/or the connection drops and everything has to resync.
blip

Post by blip »   0 likes

I had a typo above, it should have read that my upload limit is set at 16KB/s.

I currently have a 1.5 Mbps DSL and my ISP will only guarantee a .12Mbps rate but I don't get that but 7 hours a day. Download is always above 1.2Mb/s.
Service has really gone down here over the last few years because the phone service was taken over. If I could get cable I would.

Thanks guys. I will give slot allocation a try.