Opera and FLM

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
mimzy

Re: Opera and FLM

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Thought I'd start a browser war here :mrgreen:

Well, I recently upgraded to the current Firefox version and I immediately noticed that it takes more memory and is slower than the version I had previously (3.6.x).

Then I tried Chrome. Wow. Very fast and innovative, clean design (both visually and from software engineering point of view). I got the impression that Firefox is desperately trying to catch up with Chrome, but they are losing the race :(

Google might be evil, but they've got brains...

There is also an open source version of Chrome, called "Chromium" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29)...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

No war from me, just comments about my own experiences. I haven't pulled Chrome apart to see whether it phones home, I just know what Google does with their other product. Nobody wins in a "my software is better than yours" contest - to each their own.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I guess the problem is that anything you type on the address bar of Chrome is processed by Google search by default. This can be deactivated, but many users probably won't do it. First thing that any Chrome user should do is to harden the privacy settings. Chrome can be made secure, but Google hopes that users won't notice the default privacy settings :twisted:
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

It is nearly impossible these days to surf without riding both Google and Facebook waves in some way and they are quickly buying all the nets people are fishing with.

World monopoly :twisted: :twisted: Google my friend is too friendly and Facebook has been DE-liked by me. Both are very intrusive if you allow them. :naughty

I have a lot of memory and a fast connection so the Fox is still my first choice. :D
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I use Chrome for Gmail and Facebook, IE for online banking etc., and Firefox for everything else.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

I use Firefox for Facebook because of the plugins, principally noscript, adblock+, flashblock, ghostery, and especially timelineremove.com - I detest Facebook's timeline and that gets rid of it. :thumbsup