Opera and FLM

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Pranama

Opera and FLM

Post by Pranama »   0 likes

Recently I started to use Opera as my favourite browser, finding FF too slow and consuming much of my RAM. Everything is fine with Opera, with one exception. You may guess-:) I´m using latest 11.11 version of this browser, nevertheless FLM doesn´t opens in it, I have to take a refuge to "Open with..." function of Opera, thanks God it has it, and to open FLM site with FF. No problem, I´d just like to know what might be the cause and whether it is possible to improve it.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Opera and FLM

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I'm having no trouble opening FLM from Opera. I used to use it as my main browser but switched to Firefox because Opera changed the way new tabs were opened. I was using v10.63 and just now upgraded it to v11.11 but I can still open FLM and any other web page just like before.

What problem exactly are you running into? I'm not sure from what you've said where the problem may be but it's working for me.
deadarise

Post by deadarise »   0 likes

I use Google Chrome and it's fast 8-) You should try it out.
[Image]
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I will only use Firefox because of the add-ons for security. I do not have any pop ups. Only scripts from a site will run if I allow them, same with flash and other videos. Plus there is a great deal of customizing and fun tools that you can use. In Firefox click 'tools', click 'add-ons' and check out the hundreds of different add-ons to aid in your surfing fun. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

I won't use any Google apps, period. Several of them "phone home" and the Google Toolbar is little more than a virus to me because it gets installed with every damn app you put on a machine, it screws with other apps, and you have to make sure to turn off the "phone home" crap before uninstalling it or it continues to phone home even afterwards. If they do it with one app they'll do it with others, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Chrome is one of them.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I use Chrome for two things - Gmail and Facebook. Firefox for everything else.

Agree with Phuzzy4242 about the Google toolbar. Ditto the Ask.com toolbar which is even worse.
deadarise

Post by deadarise »   0 likes

Firefox keeps crashing so much :?

so what's "phone home" ? I thought it's from E.T. phone home lol :lol:
[Image]
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

deadarise wrote:Firefox keeps crashing so much :?

so what's "phone home" ? I thought it's from E.T. phone home lol :lol:
It's when an app establishes contact with its creators website - usually just to check for updates etc., but sometimes to upload statistics about your usage patterns and more personal data. We don't like it when it does that without our explicit consent and without transparency as to just what is being sent back.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

The only time Firefox crashed on me was caused by another program, not Firefox. I don't know what the issue is in your PC.

'Phone home' means it reports back to Google everywhere you go on the web so they can sell that information - or do other things with it. Considering Google's habit of rolling over whenever a government (for example China) wants it to tell them about their citizens' browsing habits, do you really want them to collect your info?
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

With some earlier versions of Firefox I had a few crashes but like phuzzy said they were probably a conflict with another program. I browse more than most people and have not had a crash in years, also speed and ram may be your computers performance problem or more specifically lack of performance and not Firefox. My laptop has only a fraction of the power my main computer has and it runs the Fox with plenty of speed and i have used a Netbook with Fox as well with no problem.

Whatever you like to use be safe. Too many malicious predators about. :twisted: