Windows 8 - use uPnP to open ports

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
emuler

Windows 8 - use uPnP to open ports

Post by emuler »   0 likes

In eMule options -> connections there is an option to open ports in the router, modem, etc. using uPnP. This did not work for me at first, so I did some digging.

An excellent tool that I found on the web is uPnPTest.exe from http://www.markgillespie.co.uk/?page_id=18 . Run it in administrator mode to diagnose what is wrong, and use the tips on the linked page to change the settings of the various Windows services essential for success. Run it until all but the last two tests show success.

Basically, I had to:
Set the SSDP service to automatic.
Set the uPnPhost service to automatic.

Check that the uPnP framework is permitted by the Windows firewall. Look under exceptions. This is enabled by default.

Finally, you need to set a static IP for your computer - if you haven't done so already.

Happy eMuling. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 - use uPnP to open ports

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Windows 8??
emuler

Yep. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out. Get it free from Microsoft if you like - it will stop working in Jan 2013, when you'll either have to get a retail version, or go back to your earlier OS.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

emuler wrote:Yep. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out. Get it free from Microsoft if you like - it will stop working in Jan 2013, when you'll either have to get a retail version, or go back to your earlier OS.
I know it's out - I have a copy - but I'm definitely not impressed. I think MS is going to have to do something major to make corporations take Win8 seriously.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

it takes bucketloads of frustration and heartache to get all your favourite apps working with the latest windows,find working drivers for your devices,and then.............another version comes out.
i think i'll wait a few years till the inevitable bugs are fixed.
emuler

Its not too bad. All your Windows 7 drivers seem to work. Unsigned drivers are a little bit more tricky to deal with, and the boot menu has been completely revamped, so the boot options are tucked away in unfamiliar places.

The UI is aimed at touch screens, so for us non-touch screen users the old desktop style is preferred. Note that Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't work well - Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in and preinstalled, and that tends to interfere. Typically, M$ hasn't bothered to tell us this upfront.

btw. starfish21, who's the kid in your avatar? :) Very cute.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

emuler wrote:Its not too bad. All your Windows 7 drivers seem to work. Unsigned drivers are a little bit more tricky to deal with, and the boot menu has been completely revamped, so the boot options are tucked away in unfamiliar places.

The UI is aimed at touch screens, so for us non-touch screen users the old desktop style is preferred. Note that Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't work well - Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in and preinstalled, and that tends to interfere. Typically, M$ hasn't bothered to tell us this upfront.
Unsigned drivers are THE major suspect when Win7 screws up. I can live with that until I MUST make 10-year-old legacy equipment that HAS no Win7 drivers - and never will - work somehow. Neither MS Security Essentials nor Windows Defender provides security, is essential, or defends against anything but the most basic threats. If they won't work with each other, you can bet some non-MS apps won't work too. Preinstalling such is exactly like Internet Exploder - an attempt to corner the market and prevent competition.

Tucking things away in unfamiliar places is MS' forte. I don't know a single person who thinks Office's ribbons were a good idea, and Win7 setups take 7 times as many clicks and opened windows to get to the same place. Wizards? Pffft! Even MS engineers say their troubleshooter wizards probably won't solve a problem "but they may jog your memory about something you forgot to do or set up" (that's a direct quote to me from one of them).

IMO Win7 was dumbed down for the masses, and Win8's interface is just dumb. MS is going for the pad/tablet market because the iPad is killing them. It's geared to simple email, web browsing, and entertainment, not business use - it's too lightweight. Maybe if the price dropped to $100 I'd waste money for such a toy, but not otherwise. Corporations need more than a toy. Executives love iPads because they're cute/sexy/chic/etc. IT guys hate them because they can't be managed. At least MS didn't let Win8 fall into that hole - security and manageability are OK.

I always bitch about a new OS until I've found all the workarounds but I still don't like Win7 from the support side, even after using it for almost 2 years. Getting hardware and software to work together, especially when you support several thousand custom apps, can sometimes be a nightmare. Using Citrix or making apps web-based solves some problems, but you might as well use a dumb terminal if you have to do that. If Win7 ain't working out so good, you can bet Win8 will be a "challenge" too. Ah, well, I guess it's job security for me. :)
emuler

Agree with you on most of the points. I'm currently running Win 8 off a VHD, so can't check out the Hyper-V yet. If that works, you have the option of running other operating systems with performance levels almost as good as multiple booting. Maybe you could check that out for me - I left my external optical drive back home, so can't do a bare metal Win 8 install. Maybe next week.

Win 8's metro style interface is in addition to the regular desktop. Once you start remembering the keyboard shortcuts, things get a lot easier. E.g. press windows key + D to get to the desktop.
http://www.groovypost.com/groovytip/win ... -shortcuts
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

emuler wrote:Win 8's metro style interface is in addition to the regular desktop. Once you start remembering the keyboard shortcuts, things get a lot easier. E.g. press windows key + D to get to the desktop.
http://www.groovypost.com/groovytip/win ... -shortcuts
LOL - I've been using shortcut keys since Windows 1.0 (I still have a copy of that :)). Window-X also gives you a useful menu in Win8.