ssd as system drive

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
starfish21

ssd as system drive

Post by starfish21 »   1 likes

i've just ordered a new 120g solid state drive - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCZ-120GB-Ver ... 2a245d9280
i'm planning to use it as my system drive,has anyone got any experience with such?
emuler

Re: ssd as system drive

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I like these ones: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigi ... lSSD%20BP3 but OCZ make very good drives too. :) Using an SSD as a system drive gives a huge increase in apparent speed and responsiveness. Boot times under 20 seconds, even less with Windows 8. Note: you'll get the full benefit of the technology if your system supports SATA III, but even at SATA II speeds the gains will be impressive.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

i don't know if my system supports sata 3,ii's news to me,i wasn't even aware there was a sata 2 :D
i plan to try win8,i've already made an image backup of my current win7 sytem.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I just set up Win Server 2012 (server version of Win 8) for a small company last weekend. I was NOT impressed. When I set up DNS and DHCP it auto-set DNS addresses that weren't even in the same IP range. Had to dig deep to find everywhere it fu*#ed up. MS can take their farking 'automatic' setups (which you can't turn off) and place them where the stellar object doesn't illuminate. <grrrr>

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with Win 8 - let us know your experiences with it.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Thanks for the heads up, Phuzzy4242. I too find it much easier and quicker to set up networks manually. Did you get hands on with the windows firewall with advanced security?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Did you get hands on with the windows firewall with advanced security?
No, I left them at default because this was a quicky job for my wife's work. I spent more time cleaning up the mess she made on the old server (like home folders in the freeking root and wrong security everywhere) than the actual install and SHE got paid for it, not me. The only thing I got out of the whole deal was a Starbucks latte. :cry:

Word to the wise - when installing ANY software on Win8 or Server 2012, :arrow: CHECK THE COMPATIBILITY FIRST! :!: I had everything working 100% and was getting ready to leave when my wife installed Symantec Antivirus SBE 12.1 which immediately toasted Server 2012 - blue screens, no recovery, completely fubar. Had to reinstall from scratch. <grrrr>

Starfish, you'd better check to see if all your software will work with Win8 before you commit to it - you may find yourself crippled. Like I said, I'm NOT impressed with Win8. I was at a training seminar with some MS techs and even they had to switch to Win7 for some of the stuff they were doing. Not a good sign.
starfish21

compatibility is guaranteed to be an issue,i'm considering making a dual boot,no way i'm wiping my win7,that's a nobrainer,it took me a while to get used to it and i like it,i'm only trying out win8(maybe) i shudder at the thought of finding drivers,though i believe theres quite a lot of win7 in it.i suppose it'll be just as greedy with drive space,massive sysfile and hyberfil.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

starfish21 wrote:i suppose it'll be just as greedy with drive space,massive sysfile and hyberfil.
MS bloated and greedy? No way. :lol:
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

You'll have me thinking there's something seriously wrong with me 'cos I'm still running Windows XP, albeit in a fairly heavily massaged form.

You could do worse than have a read of the STF OS releases where there is constructive discussion & some good release notes for the various OS's.

I'm coming up to a format & clean install (it's been 3 years now), probably over the Christmas period to relieve the boredom & will be looking to upgrade at the same time. Unsurprisingly it won't be to Windows 8, 7 or even Vista but to one of the nice recent XP releases.

lb
starfish21

i believe xp is still the most popular os,maybe everyone was desperate after windows ME,it was hard for me to break away from it myself,but it was getting more difficult to find drivers for certain things,and there are a lot of new stuff i like,that xp doesn't have,like bitlocker and aerosnap and aeropeek.