[REL] Rosie (1998)

BrookeFan29

Re: [REL] Rosie (1998)

Post by BrookeFan29 »   0 likes

O guys, I am smiling. :)

This is one of my favorite movies and used to have a crush on Aranka "Rosie" Coppens back in the late 90's.
I have this movie on VHS, TWICE! Yea, I thought I better save two copies in case one gets stuck in the VCR. :think

Been looking for a DVD release since long, but never found. I even tried to contact the distributing company and ask if there's any chance for a dvd release, but never got a reply.

So I was into making my own copy on pc with easycap and put some subtitles on it myself so my friend from Sweden can watch this too.
Only, making subtitles in moviemaker isn't going very smooth. So I haven't got far yet.

I assume none of the uploads here has subtitles? I'm a flemish Belgian myself so it's ok for me, but how do you guys enjoy the movie if you can barely follow the story? :-/

Wish I had a program to relatively quickly make my own subs in a srt file. Any suggestions are welcome. ^^
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Subtitles in a video stream are bitmap images & theoretically SubRip (which is OCR software) should be able to identify the characters with training.
In reality it just doesn't seem to work. I (along with others) have attempted to rip hard-coded subs with no success whatsoever.........it seems the slightest degradation of the bitmap image, even if only having shrunk & compressed a DVD upsets the character recognition & renders SubRip useless.

If you want to create your own subtitles from scratch this is relatively straightforward although time consuming as .srt files are only text files & can be produced within Notepad. An easier way is to use Subtitle Workshop which allows you to specify timings & other parameters. There is also a preview function which allows you to view your work as you go along.

Good Luck!

lb
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

BrookeFan29 wrote:I assume none of the uploads here has subtitles?
If by "here" you mean for this movie --- there is only one version here, under two names. eMule ignores the name and uses the filehash (mouse over the ed2k link to see it). popdrome ripped this from VHS and put it on the net, someone renamed it and brought it here, then he reposted it with his original filename. And no, it has no subtitles. popdrome is almost a neighbor of yours so he probably had the same VHS.
BrookeFan29 wrote:I'm a flemish Belgian myself so it's ok for me, but how do you guys enjoy the movie if you can barely follow the story? :-/

All depends on the person. Some members here speak the language, some only care about the visuals, some enjoy figuring out films even if they can't understand the dialogue, some just skip films without subtitles. There are films here where I have understood nothing but can follow the basic plot and enjoyed the overall ambience, though I certainly realize I am not getting all of the film.

Also, there are subs for a lot more movies than you might think, sites like opensubtitles are great. TV movies never released on DVD or VHS are much less likely to have available subs, but there are people out there who sub movies they are fans of as a hobby.
BrookeFan29 wrote:Wish I had a program to relatively quickly make my own subs in a srt file. Any suggestions are welcome. ^^
Subtitle Workshop is the most popular, the one I have used the most. Aegisub is good, it is aimed mostly at Japanese fansubbing but I like the fact it can display a graph of the audio, sometimes useful for getting the timing right. Someone here once recommended Sabbu but I have never used it.

If you are going to go to the trouble to sub a film you definitely should create a .srt file which can then be uploaded to opensubtitles and other such sites. It can then be used on a different rip of the film, better rips become available periodically (through TV caps for example). It can also be run through Google translation. Some languages translate better than others, Swedish seems to translate easily but I have had problems with Danish and Russian for example and have given up on those.
BrookeFan29

FLL wrote:
BrookeFan29 wrote:I assume none of the uploads here has subtitles?
If by "here" you mean for this movie --- there is only one version here, under two names. eMule ignores the name and uses the filehash (mouse over the ed2k link to see it). popdrome ripped this from VHS and put it on the net, someone renamed it and brought it here, then he reposted it with his original filename. And no, it has no subtitles. popdrome is almost a neighbor of yours so he probably had the same VHS.
BrookeFan29 wrote:I'm a flemish Belgian myself so it's ok for me, but how do you guys enjoy the movie if you can barely follow the story? :-/

All depends on the person. Some members here speak the language, some only care about the visuals, some enjoy figuring out films even if they can't understand the dialogue, some just skip films without subtitles. There are films here where I have understood nothing but can follow the basic plot and enjoyed the overall ambience, though I certainly realize I am not getting all of the film.

Also, there are subs for a lot more movies than you might think, sites like opensubtitles are great. TV movies never released on DVD or VHS are much less likely to have available subs, but there are people out there who sub movies they are fans of as a hobby.
BrookeFan29 wrote:Wish I had a program to relatively quickly make my own subs in a srt file. Any suggestions are welcome. ^^
Subtitle Workshop is the most popular, the one I have used the most. Aegisub is good, it is aimed mostly at Japanese fansubbing but I like the fact it can display a graph of the audio, sometimes useful for getting the timing right. Someone here once recommended Sabbu but I have never used it.

If you are going to go to the trouble to sub a film you definitely should create a .srt file which can then be uploaded to opensubtitles and other such sites. It can then be used on a different rip of the film, better rips become available periodically (through TV caps for example). It can also be run through Google translation. Some languages translate better than others, Swedish seems to translate easily but I have had problems with Danish and Russian for example and have given up on those.
I'll have a look at that Subtitle workshop program then.

I've already made an srt for the flemish movie "Loft" because a friend found one srt file, but had horrible translation. Probably just ran it through babblefish. The good thing was I just had to edit the text, not the start and end times of each line. That's what I don't wanna do manually number after number, lol.

By the way, I have 802 MB downloaded of the 1.04GB, but for over a week now it has not continued. Not even at a very low speed.
Same for the other file I had downloading "Alice sweet alice". :think
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

BrookeFan29 wrote:By the way, I have 802 MB downloaded of the 1.04GB, but for over a week now it has not continued. Not even at a very low speed.
I shared out "Rosie", but I don't have the other one.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

BizarreLoveTriangle wrote:
BrookeFan29 wrote:By the way, I have 802 MB downloaded of the 1.04GB, but for over a week now it has not continued. Not even at a very low speed.
I shared out "Rosie", but I don't have the other one.
I have Alice Sweet Alice shared but it's a different version than the one BrookeFan is downloading. I don't know if the other one has any full sources, but several people have completed downloading the version I have.
BrookeFan29

BizarreLoveTriangle wrote: I shared out "Rosie", but I don't have the other one.
Thank you. It's completed now.

Compared to my own version (top pic is downloaded version, bottom picture is of my own rip) the one I downloaded is slightly less sharp, but looks better still and has better audio, so I'm happy. My own rip also has black bars, would have to crop and what not.
[Image]
Phuzzy4242 wrote: I have Alice Sweet Alice shared but it's a different version than the one BrookeFan is downloading. I don't know if the other one has any full sources, but several people have completed downloading the version I have.
Aaarh, bummer. I'll wait a lil longer, its on 762/799 mb downloaded. So close.
If it really doesn't pick up anymore, I guess I'll go for the other, more "alive" file. ;)
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   74 likes

[Image]

A nice upgrade. Was: VHS rip, new: DVD rip with matching subs.

"spoiler" contains the file stats:
Spoiler:

***** Analyzed File Results *****

*** General Parameters ***
- Name: Rosie (1998).[aliptes].mp4
- Container: MP4
- Size: 1.084 GB
- Duration: 1h 32mn
- Bitrate: 1 568 Kbps

*** Video Track Parameters ***
- Format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
- Bitrate: Average: 1 405 Kbps
- Frame rate (fps): Max.: --- / Average: 25.000 / Min.: ---
- Encoding profile: Baseline@L3.0
- Width (Pixel number): 746*420
- Display Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Interlacing: Progressive

*** First Audio Track Parameters ***
- Format: AAC - MPEG-4 audio
- Bitrate: 160 Kbps
- Resolution: Undefined
- Profile: Low Complexity
- Channel(s): 2 (stereo)
- Position: Front: L R

*** Miscellaneous ***
- Subtitle(s): External .srt english (verified)
- Genre: Drama, Coming of Age
since there's no Blu-ray release to be expected soon, this is prolly "as close as it gets";
enter --
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.01 Gb]
subs:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [51.9 Kb]

enjoy!

Don't go quietly into the night.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks for this upgrade! :)
ghost