Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
For An Angel

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by For An Angel »   10 likes

vidman49 wrote:Wow, Phuzzy, that was some work of art. I was wondering if you would be able to put together similar type instructions on how to share a movie on the site. I have only been a member for a few weeks, but I would like to share a few movies instead of just taking from the site. (I have been downloading like crazy ever since ForAnAngel told me about this site). I have gone through a lot of the forum, but still don't know what & how to do it. I am somewhat computer illiterate, so I would need detailed instructions like what you did for setting emule up. I think I understand how to put the files into a shared folder - but how do I submit it?

A second set of instructions on how to rip from a DVD to share on the site would also be helpful. I have a number of movies on DVD (both PAL and NTSC) that I have collected over the years that I have not seen listed on the site. Most of what I would be able to contribute are on DVD now, so until I can figure out how to rip them, I would only have a small amount I would be able to share now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Hi vidman49! Welcome to the site! I'm glad to see you around here! :bigups
Sharing movies here is pretty easy. Once you have the file in a shared folder and you've clicked Reload in the Shared Files tab in eMule to hash it, right click on the file when it appears and select "eD2K Links..." it will open a window and under the eD2K Links tab you'll see the link for that file. Just click on copy and then paste it in a post here. This site will automatically reformat it. So, this...
Will come out looking like this...

Like this post to see ed2k links  [768.75 Mb]

Now people here can click on that link and download that file from you! People will also be able download it if they use the Search feature in eMule and you happen to be online and sharing it when they search for it. And that's all there's is to it! :)

As far as DVD ripping is concerned, it's a little more complicated. I can do it but I'm not the best at it. It'll probably be better if an expert in that arena gives their instructions. I'd also like to learn a little more about it so I'll be watching this thread :blush
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

vidman49 wrote:Wow, Phuzzy, that was some work of art. I was wondering if you would be able to put together similar type instructions on how to share a movie on the site. I have only been a member for a few weeks, but I would like to share a few movies instead of just taking from the site. (I have been downloading like crazy ever since ForAnAngel told me about this site). I have gone through a lot of the forum, but still don't know what & how to do it. I am somewhat computer illiterate, so I would need detailed instructions like what you did for setting emule up. I think I understand how to put the files into a shared folder - but how do I submit it?

A second set of instructions on how to rip from a DVD to share on the site would also be helpful. I have a number of movies on DVD (both PAL and NTSC) that I have collected over the years that I have not seen listed on the site. Most of what I would be able to contribute are on DVD now, so until I can figure out how to rip them, I would only have a small amount I would be able to share now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Welcome to FLM, vidman49!

Thanks for the kudos, but it was kind of in self-defense. As other people have stated, eMule isn't exactly user-friendly, and we've all answered the same questions over and over. Everybody is a newbie sometime and if these instructions smooth the path for someone, it might mean more goodies for me to download when they get up to speed. :)

Sharing is very easy - just copy the file(s) you want to share into eMule's "share" folder (in my case "e:\Shared"). Then, in eMule, click the Shared Folders tab at the top of the window and click the "Reload" button. eMule will hash the file - it calculates an error-correction checksum for each block in a file and creates an eD2K link out of it. The hash is a unique identifier for that particular file - it's very unlikely any other file will have the same hash unless it's identical.

When eMule connects to the net it "publishes" a list of all your shared files. When someone clicks "Download" in eMule's Search or clicks an eD2K link on a web page, your client looks for who has parts to the file and requests them. You don't have to "Submit" the file anywhere - eMule does it for you.

To let people on FLM know you have something they might be interested in, go to the forum the film belongs in (for example Releases -> United States) and create a new message. Use "[REL] Film Name (year)" as the Subject - this lets people know that it's a [REL]ease (it's verified good). The year is helpful in case there have been remakes, such as "Blue Lagoon (1949)" or "Blue Lagoon (1980)" and it also helps for finding info about rare movies. Inside of the message, paste the eD2K link (which you can get by going to "Shared Files" in eMule and double-clicking the filename you want to tell people about). It's also helpful to put a description of the movie, and maybe IMDb and/or RareFilmFinder (RFF) links or other links that might make someone decide they'd like the movie. Many people also give screen shots to whet peoples' appetites. Finally, if the movie has accented characters like many non-U.S. movies, it's a good idea to repeat the movie title without accents because FLM's search function can't handle them (for example "Sklenený dum" would be "Skleneny dum").

Then sit back and let the other guy's eMule do all the work - one of the beauties of eMule is you don't have to manually upload anything, simply copy a file to a folder and click Reload. That's also the main reason files are around for a long time - nobody has to re-upload them to a server that'll eventually delete them to make room for new stuff. The other guy's eMule says "Who has this file?" and yours says "I do" and you don't need to do anything other than leave eMule running for the other guy to come and get the file.

I'm not qualified to give advice about ripping. There are several people on FLM who are masters at it (I'm certainly not), and there are several threads about it here - use Search.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

welcome vidman49 :)

i would like to add that you use the search function here before you post. we have been at this for several years now. as such we already have a lot posted. try and post what is not already here. if you think you have a better quality copy or similar this is also welcome. many movies here don't have original audio so a rip with original audio is usually appreciated if it is not already posted. basically anything we don't have or that you can help add to an existing movie with. https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... php?t=2290 and https://www.first-loves.net/forums/v ... php?t=2448 also http://childrenincinema.com/.

as for ripping. i think it is best to google "how do i rip a dvd?" there are many programs and methods thoroughly discussed on this at other sites. many by individuals that are extremely good at it. read how they do it and what programs they use.

:cool
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

Also, you'll be much better off searching this site from here:

http://cloud9.endofinternet.org/flmsearch/

The search on this site doesn't work very well!
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

I think there is no universal recipe for ripping -- every ripper uses different software and methods. I use mencoder (http://www.mplayerhq.hu), but even in case of mencoder, every ripper has his own opinion about which settings to use...

However, ripping is basically quite simple. You just choose codec (usually xvid) and optimal bitrate, which has an effect on rip size and quality (advanced codec parameters you can usually leave alone).

Some DVDs need preprocessing like inverse telecine (to undo NTSC 24->30fps framerate conversion) or deinterlace, otherwise the rip won't look nice. If the source material is noisy, denoise filter should be applied to enhance compressibility and thus reduce the required bitrate. Unfortunately there are many versions of these filters and each has multiple parameters to tweak. The optimal set of filters and parameters (to get the best quality rip) depends on a particular video.

Height and width of the rip should be divisible by 16 to get the most efficient encoding, black frames of original video should be removed. Some people scale the video to standard width and square pixels (DVD has rectangular pixels, so the video needs to be "stretched" to get the right aspect ratio), but scaling reduces the quality, so I wouldn't recommend that.

Well, frankly I doubt this post of mine is useful for anyone :wall
ptguardian

vidman49 wrote:I am somewhat computer illiterate, so I would need detailed instructions
same reason i suggested search google. i found the tutorial i was going to post would be way to much information.

i will however suggest looking for a program that has the least number of steps possible.(every program is different) some programs will rip directly from the dvd. all one would have to do is load the dvd, open program, select drive of dvd then click and select output folder. start converter. wait a few hours to finish and thats it.

beware of fake programs. do research on each that you might try. not all programs will work for every dvd. dvd's are often made by different programs and thus may need different programs to rip them. so trial and error until you know what you need and are doing may be necessary.

:) if you still are having trouble, you can always ask again for help with the details at that point. :)
vidman49

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

Wow!!! THANKS GUYS!!!! :dance

I wasn't expecting so many answers and so much help so quickly. I will get busy trying to see what I can contribute. Like I said, it won't be a whole lot until I figure out how to rip the DVDs, but you all have given me a good start.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

In case anybody wants to use mencoder, here are some examples. I use a version of mencoder with integrated deCSS, so it rips directly from DVD and basically works as PTG wrote ;)
ptguardian wrote:all one would have to do is load the dvd, open program, select drive of dvd then click and select output folder. start converter. wait a few hours to finish and thats it.
Except that it is a command line application (some GUIs exist, but I've never tried them). I save the command line of each movie I encode, so I know exactly what parameters I used.

Note 1: For 2-pass encoding, call the command twice with pass=1 and pass=2.

Note 2: I often use very high max bitrate like 5000 kbit/s. If the source video has good quality, the actual average bitrate will not exceed 2000-2500 kbit/s, typically resulting in a less than 2 GB rip.

I am open for criticism and suggestions for improvements.

So here are some of my recent rips.

[REL] Lantern Hill (1990)
The DVD video was interlaced and noisy, so I used "yadif" (deinterlace) and "hqdn3d" (high quality 3D denoise) filters.

Code: Select all

mencoder dvd://2 -vf yadif=0,crop=704:560:10:8,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=5000:chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg:par=pal43:pass={1,2} -o lantern_hill.avi
[REL] May & August (2002)
The DVD had hard-telecined NTSC video, so I used "filmdint" inverse telecine filter, which worked very well in this case. I selected audio track 129 and dummy subtitle 5 to disable default subs. Output framerate 24000/1001 must be explicitly specified in case of inverse telecine.

mencoder dvd://1 -aid 129 -sid 5 -vf filmdint=crop=704:336:8:74,softskip -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=5000:chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg:par=ntsc43:pass={1,2} -ofps 24000/1001 -o may_and_august.avi
[REL] Le Songe (2006) [Short]
Re-encoding wmv file with corrected aspect ratio. Invalid framerate was written into wmv header, so it had to be overridden with -ofps. First version of the rip ended up with out-of-sync audio. This was fixed with -audio-delay.

mencoder "(Le Songe 2006) ARTE-TV SATELLIT 16-9 HQ by-Peter K..wmv" -vf crop=688:560:16:10 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=5000:chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg:par=pal169:pass={1,2} -ofps 25 -force-avi-aspect 396288/226800 -audio-delay -0.5 -o "le_songe_(corrected).avi"
The Sabres of Paradise - Smoke Belch
x264 example. Encoding of first 191.1 seconds of track 4 chapter 4. Video was deinterlaced (yadif) and downscaled to 640x480, bitrate 1000 kbit/s.

mencoder dvd://4 -chapter 4 -endpos 191.1 -vf yadif=0,scale=640:480 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1000:subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=4:b_adapt:pass={1,2} -o "Smoke Belch - The Sabres Of Paradise.avi"
ptguardian

i was referring to programs that you don't need any knowledge of encoding at all. mencoder is a great program but not for beginners. check out the forums at cnet or doom9 or any other major software site. many programs are out there that require very little computer knowledge. BLT is suggesting what he is familiar with and is trying to be helpful, but i am afraid that what he is saying will only make sense to someone already familiar with such application. to a newbie this will come across like a foreign language. i don't want to suggest any specific programs because what i use requires several steps to get the results i am happy with.

but i would suggest if you don't want to pay for a program. many have a trial period and many are freeware.

also you can do the two step method.
1st use a program like dvd decrypter to bypass encryption and extract the vob file of the movie. there are several tutorials on how to do this with this program. just search google
2nd use a converting program to convert the vob file to an avi and compress to a smaller size that is easy to share. preferably under 2gigs

:)

http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

http://www.autogk.me.uk/index.php
GOTJ13

Post by GOTJ13 »   0 likes

Great work on the Manual, Phuzzy. I followed the step-by-step instructions carefully, re-reading each part and confirming the actions before moving on. OK, now I have to stop and clear a couple of points up before bravely moving on.
1) Should I check the box for "Update server list when connecting to a server"? I seem to remember doing so when I last used eMule. Please advise, thanks.
2) After reading and studying the section dealing with programming the router to open eMule ports, I think I have run into a wall. Because I am afraid of the state of snooping in this "Police State" country in which I am living, I have to be very careful about what the GCHQ and other snoops and spies can see what I am doing here on the internet, especially when working with "One Tomato" topic stuff. As a result of my concerns I have been using a VPN for the last year. So, with the VPN functioning, when I looked at the results on my laptop for "ipconfig/all", my computer reported that my IP address (IPv4) was 192.168.*.1* - but when I went to the web and checked 'what is my IP address' it was 82.1630.7*.*0 from Jerusalem in Israel. This was because I had the VPN running. My question to you is: "I probably can't program my router to open eMule ports, because of the VPN, right?". Is there fix to this? Or do I have to stop using the VPN to make my IQ address static? Thanks in advance for any help.