eMule LowID on IP change

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
emuler

eMule LowID on IP change

Post by emuler »   0 likes

From time to time my eMule client becomes LowID (possibly due to an IP change from the ISP side.) When this happens, even though I have set 'rebind uPnP on IP change' in options>extended, the client is unable to recover, even if I restart the client. Only a shutdown seems to fix the problem, or ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew.

Any tips or suggestions? I have a modem, connected to a wifi router (actually that's also a modem from my previous ISP).
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: eMule LowID on IP change

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

IP changes to the modem shouldn't affect the internal network, assuming your modem is even a little more advanced than a dial-up of ten years ago. I don't use UPnP - it's too unreliable. If your PC has a static address, it doesn't matter what IP your ISP gives your modem's outward-facing side because the internal network never changes. Static IP's are just fine for a home network - after all, it's very unlikely you'll run out of IP's in a home network.

1. Set your modem up so there's an internal network as well as an external. You can use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x for the internal network.
2. Set your modem's internal address as static - for instance 10.1.1.1
3. Set your PC's IP address static - for instance 10.1.1.2
4. Open the modem's TCP and UDP ports bound to the PC's static IP address. If you have more than one PC, open up different TCP and UDP ports and bind them to that PC.
5. You can set up the modem to give DHCP addresses to everything else, though it's a good idea to make networked printer IP's static too.

Is any of this making sense? I don't want to insult you by going into too much detail if you're computer-savvy and already know this stuff and just needed a reminder.
emuler

Sigh! I suppose I'll have to get down to it. :( I'll have to forward the ports from the modem to the wifi and then from the wifi to the laptop. I was trying to avoid that through sheer laziness but this intermittent LowID thing is really affecting my uploads. The things is, uPnP is great when it does work, but when it doesn't, it is a real pain.
emuler

Wasn't as tough as I was expecting. Just forwarding the ports in the modem did the trick. The wifi had been set up as a switch so nothing needed to be done there. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Got highid now?

It's honestly not that hard to set up - I recommend people do it right off the bat instead of depending on UPnP. I don't like to leave anything to chance so I always set up the internal network on 10.x.x.x with the router static as 10.x.x.1 or 10.x.x.254. Server, printers, and of course my PC's two NICs are also static. The modem's DHCP server takes care of anybody else who connects wired or wireless.
emuler

So why don't you have HighID? Do you use a proxy or something?

One thing you need to take care of when using static IP addresses and DHCP together is to exclude the assigned static IPs from the DHCP range. This is not usually a problem for home networks where there are relatively few devices, but you can get a conflict if a static IP device is connected after DHCP has already assigned that IP to someone else. At home I start assigning static IPs from 200 onwards, so 2 to 199 are available for DHCP, which is fine even without setting up any exclusions, although you should explicitly set the DHCP range from 2 to 199.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

As long as someone connects to whom they are trying to connect to in order to get and or share a file high id doesn't matter much. It helps with some clients to get there faster but not all. I connect to phuzzy quick enough and vise versa and with zero problems sharing. Something tells me phuzzy has his settings in order. I know I have mine(nearly a Terabyte shared) and when someone says something about trouble sharing from me it is 'always ' on their end with their client not mine. Too many mods and different clients floating around today and yet they like to blame others for their problems... :lol:

Find a reliable, compatible client and vpn that works and don't fuck with it. Let your mule work. Best to enjoy the files and not worry about taking care of your mule. :D

This thread is looking more like a showing off of what details one knows than an actual help thread. ;) Emule is easy enough to set up and details on ones settings and or how someone else sets theirs probably should not be discussed. If you are having trouble with your client seek help from your emule clients website otherwise try a different client.

Most people use http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/ ... m=download and for help http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

[Image]
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Yup...

You would think that someone would be watching a movie instead. Considering how many were downloaded lately with their 'working' client. ;)

:lol:
Last edited by ptguardian on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

is that last post of your's missing the word 'many' by any chance? :D