KAD Firewalled but still downloading ?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
plonkah

KAD Firewalled but still downloading ?

Post by plonkah »   0 likes

Very strange - followed all posts to set up EMule - allowed through Windows FW, Fixed IP, Port Fwding etc, set up Comodo FW rules, but the test ports still fail. I get Firewalled for both KAD and UDP, and if I try to connect e2DK I get Lowid, BUT, I am currently downloading at over 150KB/s !!! This seems pretty normal speed to me, but what I can see on the KAD page is Connections shown as "stopping". I also dont seem to be able to download more than about 7/8 films simultaneously.

Can any experts here advise please ?

Thanks

EDIT

This is now downloading at well over 200 KB/s and has about 15 streams going simultaneously now - in other words about what I would expect. This post is really so for information only.

Thanks
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: KAD Firewalled but still downloading ?

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Transfer speed isn't affected by LowID. LowID affects how easily your client finds sources, and it especially affects how often you connect to them once they're found. With HighID, your client talks directly to the source but with LowID, everything has to be mediated by a server, including finding the source in the first place. When your client finds a source it puts itself into its download queue. With HighID, as soon as you reach the front of its queue, the source contacts your client directly and tells it it can start downloading. With LowID, the source can't contact your client directly, your client must periodically check back with it (every 29 minutes I think) - if the source has a download slot open at that moment, it'll start sending, but if it's busy it tells your client "tough luck, contact me later" and you have to wait some more.

If you're still getting lowid it's almost always a problem with port forwarding or firewalls. Most of the time when you open a port it's bound to a specific IP address so you have to change your computer's IP address to static, NOT dynamic. That's where I'd look for the problem first.
plonkah

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
If you're still getting lowid it's almost always a problem with port forwarding or firewalls. Most of the time when you open a port it's bound to a specific IP address so you have to change your computer's IP address to static, NOT dynamic. That's where I'd look for the problem first.
Hi Phuzzy and thanks for detailed explanation. I have a fixed IP outside of the DHCP scope so i think the problem is more likely with the Comodo FW. I have followed exact instructions for setting the rules, but when I test my ports, they still show as firewalled. Guess going to have to live with this :-(
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I use Comodo too and get HighID with no problem. To determine if Comodo is blocking you, turn it off and reconnect eMule. If you then get HighID, you'll have to adjust Comodo's settings to allow eMule's traffic. If turning it off doesn't help, something else if blocking you.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

lowID is bad for downloading, but I guess it's even worse for sharing, because the other clients have no easy way to tell you they want something from you.
plonkah

mimzy wrote:lowID is bad for downloading, but I guess it's even worse for sharing, because the other clients have no easy way to tell you they want something from you.
OK figured out what was happening and now have HighID, KAD shows as Firewalled but UDP shows Open and it is flying !!

For anyone who has problem and is using Windows 7.

Firstly, set up the Port Forwarding on router that matches the TCP and UDP (if using KAD) ports set up in EM client.

Set up any rules needed in the firewall you are using on your client (in my case Comodo)

Here was where the first problem was - Windows Firewall. Make sure your current network is set to the correct location. Mine was set to Public which blocks Inbound EM by default. Set up EM allow Inbound rules for the HOME Location, then moved my current network to the HOME location (via Network and Sharing Centre). Now the allow rules are actually applying to my current network.

In my case, it still did not work, but remembered had recently changed router so set up PF rules there y voila - currently steaming along at 730KB/sec !!!

Thanks for all those here who replied, and I hope this helps others.