Anubis P2P

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Anubis P2P

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

I ran across this while browsing a freeware site. It's called Anubis P2P and claims:
Anubis P2P wrote:Anubis P2P (peer-to-peer) is a new file sharing program that includes all the recent p2p optimizations, helping users to search and download over some several networks (including eD2K and Kad) around the internet. All in one features like file manager, download statistics, chat and IP filters make this p2p a complete tool for all kind of users. You can monitor all your activity in statistics area viewing download/upload reports gathered by Anubis.
This is nothing more nor less than an ed2k client. It has no new features, it does nothing better than eMule or one of the other well-known ed2k clients, and what's worse is that it's CLOSED SOURCE - you have absolutely no idea what backdoors or phone-homes the 'authors' have put into it.

I emphasized 'authors' because the screenshots they show are identical to the standard eMule. It's obvious they've taken the open source and written their own version, probably with some 'added' features like reporting to the RIAA, MPAA, or LEOs. If this is the same as eMule with no added features or improvements, why would anyone want to use it, especially without knowing what it might be doing behind the scenes hidden from view?

My recommendation is to stay FAR away from this or any other wannabe not written by part of the peer-reviewed eMule development community.

http://www.anubisp2p.com/index.htm
starfish21

Re: Anubis P2P

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

useful info phuzz,i can see how people might be convinced to try this.an educated review is worth more than a thousand screenshots.
emuler

Re: Anubis P2P

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Thanks, Phuzzy4242. There are several all-in-one's out there; most have been banned by the legitimate clients as they do not follow the accepted sharing norms (leecher mods). Even Flashget, one of my favourite download managers, has something similar, which is why I only use the classic version, without all these 'bells and whistles'. :P