[REL] The Emperor of Peru (1982)

ARTHORIUS

[REL] The Emperor of Peru (1982)

Post by ARTHORIUS »   2 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082323/

[Image]

"Emperor of Peru" is a children's film, which might put off a lot of people (especially adults who don't have children). But never fear, it's a Canadian children's film, which makes all the difference in the world. Apparently, Disney hasn't been as influential in Canada as it has been in the good, old US of A. American family films tend towards blandness, but in Canada a healthy European influence is still felt, and makers of children's' pictures are willing to take chances. Another person who reviewed "Emperor" on this site called it "surrealistic." It might be better described as "imagistic" or "fantastic." (It certainly is "fantasy;" it isn't "realistic" in the conventional sense at all.) Two children deal with the arrival of a foster brother, a Cambodian refugee. All three of them discover a hermetic retired railway engineer (Mickey Rooney) living in the woods. Then the children find an abandoned locomotive and, with the help of the engineer, bring it back to working order. (Or do they? The locomotive in actual operation, represented by stock footage, may be merely a fantasy on the part of the children.) The ambiguity about the last point is the key to the film's style. "Emperor" exists in its own kind of toyshop alternative reality. Fernando Arrabal only had a small budget with which to work, but he turns this to his advantage by choosing to REPRESENT the film's "reality" instead of portraying it realistically. At times toys and cheap paper mache props are made to stand in for real objects. At other times, shots of real objects are made to represent toys. (In the opening sequence, for example, we are shown stock footage of what appear to be actual railway trains. Later on we learn that what we are seeing is supposed to be only a TOY train set.) I can't really use words to describe just how whimsical and delightful all of this is. (Think of a live action "Gumby" episode.) So i guess you'll just have to see "Emperor of Peru" for yourself. Images sometimes speak louder than words...Finally this is a surreal little film about several children who befriend a potty old retired railroad engineer and end up actually breathing new life into an abandoned, rusting Pacific steam locomotive. The cast is excellent, though Mickey Rooney appears to be ad-libbing his lines. The final scenes are exhilarating and will stay with you, and that's a good thing. Recommended for all.

[Image]
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
ferdi111

Re: [REQ] The Emperor of Peru (1982)

Post by ferdi111 »   2 likes

You can get it from http://www.ex.ua/2782121
You must the button labelled "загрузить" (or "load")
In French. with Russian subs.

English subs at Opensubtitles are machine translated.

Edited by kev as link is no longer valid.
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] The Emperor of Peru (1982)

Post by kev »   29 likes

Here 'tis: :)

I've had this movie on my radar for awhile and finally picked up the DVD couple of weeks ago. It has both French AND English audio, but I only ripped the English as it seems [watching their lips] like the whole of the movie was filmed with them speaking that language. I added the subs for our members that like those. :)

My PC crapped out on me. :( I was able to get it working again, but I'm going to curtail my online sharing time as to try and extend what little life it still has... I've set the links to 'Powershare', so hopefully members will be able to d/load them fairly quickly.. :pray

Pix:
[Image]
[Image][Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]

ed2k links:
English language rip:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.37 Gb]

English subs:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [72.4 Kb]

Very bizarre little film.. (More of a 'boy movie' as the little brother has many dream sequences where he is the hero, at times saving his constant duck companion 'Fernando'.) Fun, with an ending that reminds me of the movie 'Crazy and Thief'.. :think

The acting is all a bit sketchy and the dialogue seems like slightly-better-than-google English translations of another language. No OT scenes as far as skin but there are some cute romantic interactions between Liz and Houng. :heart

Enjoy.

kev.
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Nice job kev :thumbsup
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

It is weird that Fernando Arrabal have done something like this for the whole family because some of his movies aren't suitable for children and some adults may feel himself... uncomfortable.
L'arbre de Guernica or Viva la Muerte are such movies for example...
Last edited by ferdi111 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

You need to tweak your settings a little, kev. ;) Five of us waiting, two weeks, 1 GB downloaded, 3 GB uploaded, 338MB still to go. :wall
EDIT: eight of us now.

Perhaps powershare is messing things up - you could try turning that off. Also, your friend slots are limited to 3KB/s, so it is a mixed blessing when you give me one. :roll: There is a setting somewhere that lets you raise that limit.
Last edited by emuler on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:There is a setting somewhere that lets you raise that limit.
In Morph, that's in Options > Mod Options > Morph > Upload Management. I'm not sure where it's at in "standard" eMule, and kev uses DreaMule which I haven't used in years.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Are those subs from DVD?
Or if not are they otherwise human translated?
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

ferdi111 wrote:Are those subs from DVD?
Or if not are they otherwise human translated?
These subs are definitely human translated. Whether or not they are from the DVD only kev can tell, but the grammar is fine. :thumbsup :clap
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

emuler wrote: These subs are definitely human translated. Whether or not they are from the DVD only kev can tell, but the grammar is fine. :thumbsup :clap
Thank you for your answer.

Update 01.06.2015
343 mb still to go. :(
I think too it was shot in English because Mickey Rooney was American and I don't know whether he spoke French.
Last edited by ferdi111 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.