[REL] Uthara Unnikrishnan - Azhagu (2014) [India]

Information about music videos that fit the genre of FLM can be posted here.
emuler

[REL] Uthara Unnikrishnan - Azhagu (2014) [India]

Post by emuler »   2 likes

Indian films typically split the tasks of acting and singing between two performers in order to maximise the talent quotient - the actor is good at acting; the singer is good at singing; the best of both worlds. The clip below is from the film Saivam (which I hope to see here some day). The actress is Sara; the singer is Uthara Unnikrishnan. Not sure if people outside India will like this, but this is really good.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/03/25 ... 37758.html?
10-Year-Old Uthara Unnikrishnan Has Won The Same Award Her Father Won 21 Years Ago

Families in showbiz tend to be quite talented. It's also quite common, especially in the entertainment industry, to see the children following in the footsteps of their parents.

But how often do we see them being conferred with the exact same honour as well?

On Tuesday afternoon, as the 62nd National Film Awards were announced, the spotlight was stolen by the big awards given to Bollywood films like 'Haider' and 'Queen', as well as festival favourites 'Court' and 'Killa'.

But one of the most remarkable coincidences that came out of this announcement flew completely under the radar. Young Uthara Unnikrishnan, all of 10 years old, was adjudged the best female playback singer for her song 'Azhagu' in the Tamil movie 'Saivam'.

In 1994, her father, renowned Carnatic and playback singer P Unnikrishnan had won the National Award for best male playback singer for two songs: 'Ennavale' from 'Kadhalan' (composed by AR Rahman, the Hindi version of this song, 'Sun Ri Sakhi', was sung by Hariharan) and 'Uriyum Neeye' from 'Pavithra' (also composed by Rahman).

According to Gulte.com, young Uthara was only 8 years old when she recorded the song that won her an award.

Truly her father's daughter, wouldn't you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhY-uRL0Gw
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Uthara Unnikrishnan - Azhagu

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   2 likes

Couldn't download this with either program I normally use because it's protected. Maybe someone else will have better luck. I was able to grab a lo-res version of the second link of the HuffPo article:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [8.45 Mb]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Uthara Unnikrishnan - Azhagu (2014) [India]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Thanks, starfish.
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Thanks Emuler and Starfish :D :D :D :D
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

I have downloaded the film - looking for subtitles. I don't know the language, so I'm as much in the dark as the rest of you will be. :roll:

Meanwhile, here is the meaning of the song (with lyrics, for whatever that is worth. LOL )
http://realprimalconnection.blogspot.in ... s-and.html
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Many of the lines in the lyrics are are just the notes that are being sung. You all know the Do re mi song from The Sound Of Music. That is the sol-fa system, where each note is assigned a single syllable word. The Indian equivalent is the Sargam.

Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do

Sa-Re-Ga-Ma-Pa-Dha-Ni-Sa
emuler

Re: [REL] Uthara Unnikrishnan - Azhagu (2014) [India]

uthara.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   4 likes

The song is haunting. In case anyone wants the mp3...

Like this post to see ed2k links  [5.22 Mb]
emuler

Thanks, Phuzzy. :D The mp3 you posted is the actual recording, as opposed to the film soundtrack which has dialogue and background noises. I have listened to this many, many times and am still awestruck.

This is South Indian classical music (Carnatic music). This link gives a bit of information about it.
http://www.willowneilson.com/lesson-pla ... usic-study
Notice the use of Konnakol - a vocal percussive dance accompaniment, cleverly intermingled with the singing of the names of the notes that I talked about in an earlier post.