Recommendations & Advise on Dubbing films

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
goku33

Recommendations & Advise on Dubbing films

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

What do you use for dubbing or more so syncing a film‘s audio?

I am talking about the following example:

You got a 1080p.Bluray with Audio in language (A) and a DVD with the Audio from a different country (B) and You not only want to sync audio B) to the bluray but also keep audio A.

Basically creating a multilingual bluray. Hell, maybe even add & sync subtitles from various source/languages to it!

What do you use @ghost? Premiere and Audacity as well? I own several films & tv shows that I’d like to dubb/mux/sync.

On reddit I found the following tutorial:

[Image]
goku33

Re: Recommendations & Advise on Dubbing films

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

I also just learnt that DaVinci Resolve includes an automatic audio waveform feature.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

What do you use @ghost? Premiere and Audacity as well?
If it's only a framerate issue, then it can be easily solved. I speed it up / slow it down with Adobe Premiere or Adobe Media Encoder.

For AC3 or DTS I use eac3to µGUI.
[Image]
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

If you're on a Windows PC I would do the following. Get your ripped films (not just the audio). If they have the same frame rate then chances are they will run at the same speed - though different sources might have different logs at the start and stop. So just because one is 15 seconds longer it doesn't mean they have different speeds. Might just be the logos / end credits.

Download yourself MKVMerge GUI - this is the software that can compile multiple audio and subtitle tracks and it will make a "mkv" file that contains all the audio and subtitle tracks as options. It is not "encoding" the video - it's just packaging it! Big difference!
It'll "make" the file in seconds usually - will run as fast as your HDD can write files.
Test playing the file and switching audio tracks to check it's in sync. Best to check on noises like car doors vs dialogue, trust me. Syncing to dialogue is hard.
Suppose you should have one audio track matching the video, and another audio track that doesn't.
If they're NOT in sync check if the cues at start/end are the same number of seconds apart then you know that the films are running the same speed.
For the 2nd audio track you can set a delay for one of the audio tracks on this tab. Time is in ms. So 1000 = 1second audio delay. Or can be -1000 = -1 second to make the audio start sooner.

[Image]

If the 2nd audio track is gaining or losing time then things get more complicated.
Convert the audio to WAV somehow (I use Prism File converter but 1000s of software will do this) and drop it into Audacity whic is freeware audio editing software.
Suppose you worked out with cue's or length checking it's losing time by about 1 second every 30 minutes so after 2 hours it's 4 seconds out.
Simply set the length of the 2nd audio to 4 seconds longer/shorter by setting a new length in seconds (see screenshot below ) and generate a new wav. Drop it into mkvmerge, make a new file, and check the sync using the audio cues. If your first cue is near the beginning of the file then increasing/decreasing the length won't change this one much - but make a massive change to the one at the end. You might have to repeat several times to get it perfect. You might have to delay / advance the audio still.
Audacity will also let you add blank audio to one track or delete some audio rather than using the ms delay option.
Only when you're happy with the WAV sync is it worth converting it into mp3 at say 128/160kbit (assuming stereo). I use RazorLame - a free DOS mp3 encoder for this.

[Image]