Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
barracute

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by barracute »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:19 pm
barracute wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:11 pm ah just done some checks and realised the problem was i hadn't got the path set correct in Emule, now i have got it typed in correctly the preview works on both! Thanks
FANTASTIC!!! I am so glad you figured it out!! I just finished typing a response where I admitted that I was befuddled, but was guessing that might be the problem. Out of curiosity, did you have to edit the Preferences.ini file? Or was that NOT part of the solution?

It is great to be able to Preview a file and see if you actually want to continue trying to download it if you find that it is taking a LONG time.
no didn't have to do anything else just changed the video player command - if only i had known how easy it was lol
jasifrank

Post by jasifrank »   0 likes

Heyana wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:25 am Using eMule in 2022
*For images to load please sign in.

First of all, I highly, highly recommend using a paid VPN. Not only will it prevent your ISP from seeing what you do online, it also makes port forwarding incredibly easy. No messing with routers. For this guide a VPN is required. Optional steps are hidden by a spoiler.

The most important thing when it comes to choosing a VPN is trust. If you don't trust your VPN then stop using them. For me personally, and for many, Mullvad is currently the most transparent and trustworthy VPN service. It costs 5 euro p/m and makes port forwarding incredibly easy. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, AirVPN often has sales with the biggest one happening around black Friday.

*Important*
Depending on how paranoid you are, you may want to pay for your VPN via cryptocurrency. If you're going to do that, use Monero. If all you have is Bitcoin or some other currency, it's easy to convert it to Monero. I won't explain this more than that since this is about eMule, not the banking system, but it's worth mentioning.

Once you've got your VPN ready, let's start setting up everything!

VPNs are known to be slow, but over the past few years this has changed. There are many different VPN technologies, each with their own pros and cons, but the newest VPN technology is Wireguard. Wireguard is incredibly fast in comparison to OpenVPN, so always make sure you're using it! It has very little overhead, meaning you wont notice much of a drop in speed if at all.

The setup will be different depending on your VPN provider, I'll explain how to forward ports for both Mullvad and AirVPN, since these are the two I feel comfortable recommending. If you're using a different VPN they'll likely have a guide on their website, if they support port forwarding that is.

Mullvad \
There's a short video on Reddit that perfectly shows how easy it is to forward your ports. You can view it here; https://reddit.com/rufv7u
OR you can view it via a private Reddit frontend here; https://libredd.it/rufv7u

AirVPN \
First, head to the AirVPN website and pop into the Client Area, find the "Ports" area and click "Manage". In here you'll want to click on the "Request a new port" button, leave the text field bellow it blank unless you know what you're doing. Take note of the port in a text editor, we'll come back to it soon.

Before setting anything up, I'd like to mention a few things about different clients. Currently the main two are aMule and eMule. While I personally prefer aMule as I'm a Linux user, it's currently broken. Downloads freeze after downloading 15MB~ and remain in queue for minutes to hours. At the time of writing, do NOT use aMule. Once aMule is fixed I'll remove this notice. As a workaround for Linux users, I've created an extra step on how to get eMule working just like it does on native Windows, it's actually rather easy, if you aren't very technical then follow the steps to a tee.
If you're a Mac user and have a working Mule setup, please let me know what it is so I can add it in here.

Head over to the eMule download page (https://github.com/irwir/eMule/releases/) and download either the file eMule0.60d-Installer.exe if you're using a 32-bit computer, or eMule0.60d-Installer64.exe if you're using a 64-bit one. If you don't know what your computer is using, choose the 64-bit download, if it fails, retry with the 32-bit one. If you're reading this in the future, long after it was originally posted, the files may be named something like "eMule0.70c-Installer64.exe" - that's fine, just means it was updated since the time of writing.

Go ahead and install it, leave all the options as default and continue clicking next until it's finished.

For the next few steps I've included images in case you get stuck!

When you first launch eMule you'll be greeted with a setup wizzard, I'll walk you through it.
Click Next on the first slide.
[Image]

Here you can change your nickname, if you'd like to be a little lowkey you can leave your nick as the default, but if you'd like to let yourself be known feel free to change it, just don't make it something personal like your real name or email. Add in an [FLM] to show other uses where you came from. If you'd like you can start eMule when Windows starts, I recommend enabling this since it means you'll always be giving back to the network, but feel free to leave it off.
Click Next.
[Image]

On this part we'll put in our port number from earlier, click on "Test Ports" - if it fails, that's fine, just make sure to check the firewall step later on!
Click next.
[Image]

Leave all the options on this part as default, just click Next.
[Image]

Again, leave this as default and click Next.
[Image]

Click Next... :sleeping:
[Image]

Click Finish. eMule is now set up!! But we've got one last thing to do - add some servers for us to connect to.
[Image]

in eMule, go ahead and click on the "Servers" icon, third from the left at the very top. It's got a donkey beside a server. On the right side of the eMule app you'll find some text that says "Update server.met from URL", go ahead and paste this link in the text field right under it and then click "Update." http://upd.emule-security.org/server.met
This will add a handful of great servers easily!
[Image]

Let's repeat this, but this time click on the "Kad" icon beside the "Servers" icon.
On the right side of the app you'll find text that says "Nodes.dat from URL", paste this link into the text box right under it and hit "Bootstrap". http://upd.emule-security.org/nodes.dat
[Image]

Now for the very last step, adding in an IP filter. Click on the orange cog icon named "Options" and click onto the "Security" tab. Once you're there, find the text saying "Update from URL: (filter.dat- or PeerGuardian-format)"
Paste this link into the text box right under it and then hit "Load"
http://upd.emule-security.org/ipfilter.zip
[Image]

At this point, eMule is completely up and running! Now all you need to do is hit the lightning bolt at the top left and connect to the network!

In the future when aMule is working again I recommend you switch to it, but for now, let's get eMule working through WINE. To do this, we're going to need to have flatpak installed and setup, if you already have it installed skip this step, if you aren't sure you have it or not run "flatpak list" in a terminal - if you get output then you have it. The reason why I'm recommending using flatpak is that it will create a sandbox for all your Windows apps, increasing security and making them much easier to manage and uninstall.

Using your distros package manager, install flatpak. On Debian/Ubuntu the command will be "sudo apt install flatpak", for Manjaro it'll be "sudo pacman -S flatpak" and for Alpine it should be "doas apk add flatpak". Once installed, run this command to connect it to Flathub;

Code: Select all

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
That's it - fully installed! Note that, if you're using a Hardened Kernel on Arch for example, you'll need to enable unprivileged user namespaces in order to launch Flatpak apps. To do this, issue this command in your terminal;

sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/bwrap
**A reboot may be required after installing Flatpak**

Now, install the app "Bottles" via this command;

flatpak install flathub com.usebottles.bottles
Now that it's installed, let's run it by either launching it from our apps list, or via a command if you'd like to see all the things it's doing, the app currently doesn't have loading bars but they show up in the terminal if you launch it this way;

flatpak run com.usebottles.bottles
It'll download some things, so be patient.

Once it's done, go ahead and click "Create a new Bottle", choose an "Application" bottle and name it something like "Donkey", it'll install and configure some things, which may take a while. Once created, click on your newly added bottle. You'll start out in the "Details & Utilities" tab, while you're here, click on "Utilities", a drop down will come out, click on "Browse C:" - this will open your Windows directory where all your Windows files will be. Bottles isolates Windows into it's own area, so no app you run through it can see your real files - only what's in this C: drive. This can be a little inconvenient though, as you need to move whatever exe you're trying to run in here.
Here in the C: drive, create a new folder named "donkey", head into it.
Now, download eMule from here; https://github.com/irwir/eMule/releases (Choose the file ending with 64)
Once downloaded, cut/copy paste it into your newly made donkey folder.

Back to Bottles, head into the "Programs" tab and click the + button in the top right, from here, navigate to your "donkey" folder and add the eMule exe. Annoyingly, when you click this + button it doesn't bring you to your C: drive, so you'll have to navigate there. It should be in

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/Donkey/drive_c/donkey/
Go ahead and launch the newly added eMule setup exe. Check the Windows setup for images and a guide, TLDR; smash the next button.
Once installed, click that + button to add another program, this time navigate to;

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/donkey/drive_c/Program Files/eMule
Once in this folder, add the "emule.exe" file. Now just launch that and eMule should be working!!
Head back to the previous step for Windows users - it's an identical setup for Linux, however, automatic link handling probably wont work. To workaround this, once you've finished setting up eMule, head over to the "Options" menu, which is an orange cog, third from the top right. Go into the "Files" tab and find the option that says "Watch clipboard for ED2K file links". From now on, when you copy an ED2K link eMule will detect it and ask you if you'd like to add it. You can copy dozens of links at a time and it'll add all of them, pretty handy.

If you get stuck, confused or anything else don't be afraid to ask for help here. I can also add images if the process is too confusing.

*Note; this may or may not work with port forwarding, if anyone tests this please let me know how it went.

While not everyone cares about leaking their traffic, for those that do, here's a way. Note that this only works with Mullvad and will add a slight speed penalty.

Mullvad offers a SOCKS5 proxy for all of its servers - if you don't know what that means, it basically routes your Mullvad traffic a second time, to another server. What has this got to do with leakage? Well, it only works when you're connected to Mullvad, so if you aren't, the proxy wont work, and eMule won't be able to connect to the internet.

Head to the "Proxy" tab and check "Enable Proxy", set the "Proxy type" to SOCKS5.
Now head over to the Mullvad website and click its "Servers" tab (or mullvad.net/en/servers)
From here, untick the boxes "OpenVPN" and "Bridge". Choose the server you'd like your connection to be routed to (choose one close to your VPN server location for optimal performance) and click on it, a drop down menu will unfold, copy the "SOCKS5 PROXY ADDRESS" and paste it into the "Proxy host" text field in eMule, delete this part from the address ":1080". In the "Proxy port" field input 1080. That's it, done! A neat fallback mechanism. It's worth noting that, since your connection is being routed a second time, a speed penalty will happen, I'm not sure how big it will be, but it probably wont be noticeable since eMule isn't the fastest thing around. :p

For Linux users, I'm assuming you know what you're doing. Most distros have a firewall app nowadays, should be simple enough to navigate through that and configure what you need. Common apps are Ufw, Yast and Firewalld. If you don't have a firewall app, consider installing one.

For Windows users, if you're using Windows Firewall head to your control panel, then click on "Windows Firewall", or something to that extent. There should be an "Exceptions" tab, enter a name for the exception, "eMule" for example, then type in your port number. Do this for both TCP and UDP. If I got this wrong please correct me!

If you're using your own firewall, I'll assume you know what you're doing. If you're using an antivirus (hot take alert) uninstall it - antiviruses suck, they're terrible for privacy and often WORSEN security. Windows Defender isn't as bad as people think it is, I recommend you use it instead. And of course, don't install or click on suspicious things, your mind is the greatest antiviruses money can buy. If you've got a file or movie you think could be dangerous, scan it with Virus Total online.

Everything should be working now, so go like some posts and SHARE them too!! This website wouldn't exist if people didn't share - it's the most important thing to do and the biggest way to give back. If you run into any issues, have any edits to suggest for the guide or anything else, please let me know!

Thank you FLM community <3

Click the spoiler button to view the answers.

I don't have a VPN or my VPN provider doesn't provide port forwarding - can I still use eMule?
Spoiler:

Yes! You can use eMule even without port forwarding, however your speeds will be slower. In certain cases, some files won't be availble to you.
I don't use a VPN and would like to port forward from my router, how can I do that?
Spoiler:

Follow Phuzzys original guide if you'd like to do this.
My antivirus is interfering with eMule/port forwarding and I don't want to switch to Windows Defender.
Spoiler:

The best thing to do would be to look up a specific guide for the antivirus you use. If you're using Kaspersky, look up "How to port forward Kaspersky" for example. There's simply too many antiviruses out there to create a good guide for them all.
How can I make eMule connect automatically when I start the app?
Spoiler:

Click on the orange cog in eMule labeled "Options", select the "Connections" tab and look for the text "Autoconnect on startup" - there's a box right beside it, just tick that and hit apply.
The port I use to port forward changed, how can I switch the port eMule uses?
Spoiler:

Click on the orange cog in eMule labeled "Options", select the "Connections" tab and look for the text "Client Port". Here you change change both the TCP and UDP ports, once you're done click on apply.
Can I use eMule on a phone?
Spoiler:

An Android client does exist named "Mule", however it seems to have a lot of restrictions. If you've only got access to a mobile device it's certainly better than nothing.
Mule is available as a direct APK download from github, or on the Google Play Store
Github; https://github.com/a-pavlov/jed2k/releases/tag/3.3
Google Play; https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .dkf.jmule
I noticed an error or important omission from the guide.
Spoiler:

Please let me know! I'm no expert and would appreciate feedback. ^w^
thx, you helped very much; explained in detail, it is enough to do step by step; and it needs not so much time, as i expected, the whole process of installing emule took, I don't know, half an hour, maybe less; something like that, because I don't speak perfect english; but it worked immediately; nice; and the download is going, depending on how old the files are, or how popular they are; thank you again;
Maxxx

Post by Maxxx »   0 likes

I have questions please:
  • When I click on an emule link it opens a new emule window - how to stop this so it adds the download to the already running window?
  • What is an emule forum for mainstream releases? At the moment I simply use date 2023 and release group name such as ion10, proper
    rarbg etc.
  • Is there a simple way to get HighID?

Thankyou for any of your help.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Sorry, but I am afraid I do not have an answer to your first question, it sounds strange to me. Maybe someone else knows?
Maxxx wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:31 pm
  • What is an emule forum for mainstream releases? At the moment I simply use date 2023 and release group name such as ion10, proper
    rarbg etc.
Honestly, torrents are usually faster than emule and if you are after current torrent files then torrenting is the way to go. FLM is the first and only emule-specific forum I have encountered, but others might be able to suggest others. Anyone?

Still, if it is a mainstream movie then information on the movie itself is readily available online, as are multiple sources. If you prefer to eMule it then go into the search tab and type searches like "Mission Impossible", "Fast and Furious", "Star Wars", "Avengers" etc etc.
  • Is there a simple way to get HighID?
The simplest way is to use a paid VPN that offers port-forwarding. NOT all VPNs offer port-forwarding. The process is laid out step-by-step by Heyana here:

viewtopic.php?p=93814#p93814
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:48 am FLM is the first and only emule-specific forum I have encountered, but others might be able to suggest others. Anyone?
http://www.eselkult.tk/ ? I've never really visited them, because everything of interest is posted here, but I think several early FLM releases originated from there. I guess they are not very active anymore.

Now I remember also https://fileheaven.org/ has been mentioned here. Never visited them either.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Neato. I knew an oldtimer would know other sites. eselkult looks cool. (Not that I really need to download more movies that I will never have the time to watch.)

But with no forums and no registered users, fileheaven looks dead now. But then that could just be the public face for those who are not logged in, to keep out snoopers.
rossrhodes

Post by rossrhodes »   1 likes

OK Please understand i am a right computer thicko.
i think i need to download this emule thing to watch some of the films that are mentioned on this site. Am i correct ?
There is an awful lot of writing above about doing this is there not a simple press button option.
Thanks to anyone who replies. I'm to old to learn new complicated tricks.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

rossrhodes wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:58 am i think i need to download this emule thing to watch some of the films that are mentioned on this site. Am i correct ?
Some of the movie posts include direct-download or streaming links, but you are correct that eMule is required to download the ed2k links. It does indeed take some work to set up, admittedly more than installing a torrent client. But eMule is a fairly old "complicated trick", started in 2002.

The first post in this thread contains the vintage setup guide, as well as a link to a later updated alternate setup guide. Everything else is various questions and answers.

Note: Heyana's newer guide focuses on using a paid VPN to get HighID when eMuling, specifcally mentioning the port-forwarding capability of Mullvad VPN. Mullvad has just announced that it is DISCONTINUING its port-forwarding service. However, there are other VPNs that port-forward.

See this topic: viewtopic.php?t=14963

However, HighID is NOT required to use eMule; it is just helpful in making more connections. VPNs are also NOT required to use eMule, but they do help make your Internet usage more private.
There is an awful lot of writing above about doing this is there not a simple press button option.
This is because FLM is not a file hosting site, nor does it earn advertising revenue. It is solely a privately-run fan site, and it mainly provides links to material shared by individuals peer-to-peer.
GhostFace

Post by GhostFace »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:51 pm
Spoiler:

[Moderator Edit June 2022: We now have an updated and more streamlined eMule setup guide that focuses particularly on using a VPN with port-forwarding in order to get HighID. While HighID is not absolutely necessary in eMule it is very useful. Formerly I changed my router settings to get HighID, but now I use a VPN with port-forwarding. Many other members do just fine with LowID. Both the original guide and our new version contain very useful information. -- Night457.

New guide here:
viewtopic.php?p=93814#p93814 ]

These instructions are a basic guide to setting up a fully-functional eMule. It's oriented towards Windows but the basic steps are the same for any operating system - I've installed eMule on Windows and Ubuntu Linux and the process is almost the same. If you're technically oriented, you can easily tell where you can deviate from these instructions to better meet your own needs.

STEP ONE - INSTALL EMULE

Download an eMule client. The standard client is probably best to start with - there are many "mods" (modified clients) that offer additional features. It's easy to change to a different mod later on. If you decide to use a mod from the start, leave its additional features alone until the basic system is working. You can download an actual installer that does the initial folder setup, or you can download an archive and manually extract the files where you want them. You'll use the latter method if/when you try a mod because you don't want to change your settings files and/or have to start over with credits (more about credits later).

Install the eMule client to its own folder. This can be on any hard drive with a couple MB space and can be a sub-folder (i.e. "c:\Program Files\eMule" or "e:\eMule") - it doesn't have to be on the same drive where you'll download files. If you manually extract the files from an archive, not the installer, make sure you keep the folder structure in the archive - there are various sub-folders that need to exist for everything to work correctly. You should make a shortcut to emule.exe on your desktop or Start Menu to make it easier to find.

STEP TWO - CONFIGURE IT

Run the eMule program. If this is your first time using eMule, a wizard will pop up so you can make the initial settings. I'm using v0.50a as an example - your version may be different. You can cancel the wizard and make all settings on the Options menu instead, but the wizard will let you change the most important settings right away. Whether you use the wizard or not, you'll still use the Options menu before actually going online.

The wizard's first screen lets you enter a user name. The default is "http://emule-project.net" but you should change this to something distinctive so other people can recognize you for things like "friend slots" (more on friend slots later). Make up a nickname - for privacy reasons it's best not to use your real name - and enter it here. Some eMule "communities" also put a short abbreviation inside brackets that allows certain mods to automatically give a download boost - if you know what the abbreviation is, put it either in front of or behind your nick (e.g. "MyNick [ABC]").

There are also two check boxes on this screen to have eMule automatically start when Windows starts and to automatically connect as soon as eMule starts. Leave these unchecked until you have eMule working correctly. Click Next.

The second wizard screen lets you enter the TCP and UDP ports you will use. There will be numbers already in these boxes. Please read the first paragraph of the next section for information about what should be put here. There is a button to use UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) to set these ports but it usually doesn’t work for me because of additional firewall settings on my system. There's also a button to test the two ports you've selected - leave it alone unless you've already opened these ports in your router and firewall (see next section). Click Next.

The third wizard screen has two options to let eMule manage upload and download priorities. Leave these alone for now. Click Next.

The next wizard screen lets you select protocol obfuscation. Many ISPs throttle (slow down) or completely block eMule and other P2P programs and this setting helps get around that. Select it and click Next.

The fifth wizard screen lets you pick which eMule networks to use - eD2K (eMule) and/or Kad (Kadmelia). These determine which network(s) are used by your client to find the files you want to download. There are some settings I'll explain later for how to make eMule "safer" - for now, leave them both checked. The other setting on this screen is whether to use Safe Connect or not. I recommend turning it on. If you have problems connecting later, you can always turn it off. Click Next. That completes the wizard - click Finish.

Select Options on eMule's main screen. There are several sections that must be set up correctly before actually going online. Unless otherwise mentioned, leave settings alone until you know what you're doing.

By default, there is a Temp folder in the main eMule folder where the parts of the files you're downloading will be stored. The Incoming folder is where files are moved once they're completely downloaded. I usually put both of these on a drive with lots of space in a folder of their own to make it easy to find them. Once you start using eMule, you'll want to preview partially-downloaded files to see if they're the actual files you wanted - just because a file is named "Let Me In (2010).avi" doesn't mean some jerk didn't rename a porn file, virus executable, or some other trash to get people to download it so his own credits get boosted.

If you want to change where these folders are located, first create them if they don't already exist, then go to Options and click on Directories. Change the Incoming and Temporary folders as needed, and add any other folders you want to share. In my case, I have Incoming as "e:\Incoming", and Temporary as "e:\Incoming\Temp". These folders are automatically shared. I have an additional shared folder called "e:\Shared" where I store everything I want to share with other eMulers. A separate folder for that is a good idea because it helps keep things you haven't looked at yet (Incoming) separate from what you have (Shared).

When you start receiving files, eMule allocates the total space for that file from the start – your hard drive needs enough space for twice the final size of that file when it completes - if you're low on hard drive space, eMule might not be able to complete the file. As you receive the chunks that make up a file, they're put in their correct positions inside the .part file in the Temp folder. When all the parts have arrived, the completed file is then moved to the Incoming folder.

Note: The web addresses for the various update files detailed below may be transient - use Google search to find sources for server.met, ipfilter.dat, nodes.dat, etc.

eMule is a P2P program and all P2P networks have been under attack by the stormtroopers of the RIAA and others. One way they catch people is to set up fake servers and log everyone who uses them. The following paragraphs detail how to make things safer.

The eMule community maintains lists of "safe" servers. In Options -> Server, uncheck "Auto-update server list at startup", uncheck "Update server list when connecting to a server", and uncheck "Update server list when a client connects". Click OK. Now click the Servers tab at the top of the eMule screen, right-click any server in the list and select "Remove All". Now type http://www.peerates.net/servers.php in the "Update server.Met from URL" box and click Update.

eMule can be set to block IP addresses and the community maintains blacklists. Go back to Options -> Security and enable "Filter servers too" under IP Filter. Type http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz in the "Update from URL" box and click Load.
[MODERATOR EDIT 3/4/2023 THIS SITE IS GONE. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9897&hilit=http%3A ... t%20is%20a ]

In order to use Kad (Kademlia) for searches, you must have a nodes.dat file. This file is automatically updated when you connect to other eMule clients, but since Kad is "serverless" and you’ve never connected to anybody else yet, it must be "bootstrapped". (Note: you must be online for bootstrapping Kad to work and Kad must be enabled.) Go to the Kad tab at the top of the eMule screen and type http://download.tuxfamily.org/technosal ... /nodes.dat into the "Bootstrap from URL box" (make sure its radio button is selected) then click the Bootstrap button.

Other Settings - Go to eMule Options

General - Enter a User Name if you haven't already. Click the "Handle eD2K Links" button. If the button is grayed out, eMule is already set to handle eD2K links.

Display - Click "Auto clear completed downloads".

Connection - In "Capacities" enter the maximum download and upload speeds your internet connection can handle in KB (i.e. if your max. download is 1792 Kbits, divide by 8 and put 224 in the Download box). You should use no more than 80% of your maximum upload speed or both uploads and downloads will be drastically slowed down, so if your maximum upload speed is 56 KB, put 45 KB in the Upload box. Put check marks in both "Limits" boxes - you'll probably want to throttle eMule's data transfers when you use the Internet for other things - but for now, leave both sliders all the way up.

Files - Select "Try to download preview chunks first" and "Watch clipboard for eD2K file links". If you have a video player, type its commands in the correct boxes. I recommend VLC (www.videolan.org/vlc/) - it's free, open-source, and it works well right out of the box. Its command line might look something like c:\Program Files\VLC\vlc.exe. No Arguments are needed, and you should probably remove the check mark beside "Create backup to preview" - it's usually not needed and just uses time and disk space, albeit temporarily.

Security - We've already been here to filter server IPs, but you should make sure "Nobody" is selected in "See My Shared Files/Directories" because otherwise someone can look at and download ANY file in your shared folders. This might not be a good thing if you're sharing something exclusively for one person. For example, you add a file with home movies called D02943S.ZIP so you mother can download it - odds are that nobody will search a server or Kad for such an unusual filename, but someone browsing your shared folders might be intrigued by it and download it too.

Extended - You might want to enable "Check diskspace". Definitely set "Always" for "Safe .met/.dat file writing". I use "Never" in "Extract meta data".

THE NEXT SECTION IS IMPORTANT! PLEASE LOOK IT OVER CAREFULLY!

STEP THREE - OPEN ROUTER/FIREWALL PORTS

Your computer talks to the outside world through ports. Your web browser uses port 80, FTP (File Transfer Protocol) uses port 21, your mail program uses... you get the idea. eMule uses two ports. By default, these are 4661 for TCP and 4671 for UDP. It's usually better to NOT use the default ports because many ISPs block/filter/throttle them so your file transfers will be much slower or not work at all. Go to the Options menu in eMule and select Connection, then look at the TCP and UDP ports. Pick a couple oddball numbers in the 16000 range and put them in the TCP and UDP boxes - I use 16047 and 16062. WRITE THESE NUMBERS DOWN - you'll need them in a minute. You may need to exit eMule and start it up again to get it to use different ports.

At this point you could probably connect to the eMule network BUT you'll almost certainly have lowid. eMule will function without highid but transfers will be MUCH slower. Here's why...

When you request a file, eMule has to find other people who are sharing it. With lowid, you can't connect directly to other eMule clients, you must have a server between the two of you, and the servers have limited capacity. With highid, your client connects to multiple other clients simultaneously, so the parts of your file are found more easily and multiple people can feed you parts at the same time. Also, since you're "in queue", you must wait until you get to the front of its line before the other client will send you anything. eMule repeats a file request every 21 minutes - if it does it more often, your client may be "banned" as too aggressive - so if the other client isn't ready to send you something when your client asks, you have to wait again. With highid, the other client remembers your request and connects to your client immediately when you reach the front of its queue. If you're in many other clients' queues, you'll reach the front of someone else's queue more often so your transfers will finish sooner.

So, it's important to get highid. The major reason for lowid is your router and/or firewall blocking the ports eMule uses. Routers almost always have the "standard" ports like 80 open by default. Since you're using non-standard ports, you have to tell your router and firewall to let data through them. This is usually called port-forwarding.

It's impossible to give a short one-size-fits-all description of how to do this because every router and firewall is different. There are several sources on the web for programming your router and firewall to forward the ports eMule uses such as www.portforward.com. There is also a good free program at www.simpleportforwarding.com that makes it easy to set up your router, firewall, and computer networking.

You need your PC's network (IP) address, the TCP and UDP ports eMule is using, and your router's IP address and login information. Also, your computer's IP needs to be "static" - this means it doesn't change every time you turn it on.

In Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, you can find out your computer's IP address by going to a command prompt. Press the Windows key and R at the same time to open the Run window (or click Start -> Run). Type "cmd" without quotes and click OK to open a command window. Now type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. You'll be shown a lot of information about your network settings. The important info is your computer's IP address, whether it's static or dynamic, and your router's IP address.

Look for "IP Address" or "IPv4 Address" and write it down (it'll probably be something like 192.168.1.5). Find "Subnet Mask" and write it down (it'll probably be 255.255.255.0). Find "Default Gateway" and write it down (it will probably be something like 192.168.1.1). Also look for "DHCP Enabled" - if "Yes", your PC is using a dynamic IP address instead of a static one. Your PC needs to keep the same IP address because port-forwarding in your router only opens those ports for THAT address. If your PC's address changes, it won't be able to use those opened port and you'll have lowid again.

Do the following to set your IP address to static (be aware that some computers may want you to reboot if you change your IP address):

In Windows XP go to Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right-click on your network adapter and choose Properties, then select Internet Protocol. Select "Use the following IP address" and fill in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway with the information you wrote down, then click the OK button.

In Windows 7 go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings. Right-click on your network adapter and choose Properties, then select Internet Protocol Version 4. Select "Use the following IP address" and fill in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway with the information you wrote down, then click the OK button.

Now that your computer has a static IP address, you need to program your router to open the ports eMule will use. Most routers are programmed by using your web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.). Type the router's IP address in the Address box (where you'd normally type web page addresses) in the browser. You will probably be asked for a user name and password - this info came with your router. You can also use Google to look up the default user name and password.

At this point, I can't give specific instructions because every router's menus are different. Look for something like "DMZ", firewall, ports, or something that might relate to opening up ports. You need to allow network traffic in and out on both the TCP and UDP ports you specified in eMule. Again, look at the information on www.portforward.com or use a program from www.simpleportforwarding.com or one like it. Some eMule mods have a place to select UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) that is supposed to automatically set your router to open those ports but I've never had good luck making that work - your mileage may vary.

The last piece of the highid connection puzzle is the firewall. Windows has its own firewall aside from the one in the router, and your computer may have a software firewall in its antivirus program or a separate program like ZoneAlarm Pro, Comodo Firewall Pro, etc. Software firewalls usually pop up and ask you to allow activity on a port the first time it's accessed. To manually set your firewall to allow the two ports eMule uses, you'll need to check its help file or documentation - each is different so I can't give specific instructions. If you DON'T have another firewall program, either turn Windows Firewall on (it's better than nothing) or get a firewall program - there are several very good free ones available.

Windows' firewall isn't great but it's there and unless you've turned it completely off (NOT recommended if you don't have another firewall installed), you might have to tell it to allow eMule's ports to pass data. To manually set Windows XP's firewall, go to Control Panel -> Windows Firewall. If it's turned off AND you have another firewall program installed, just click Cancel - you don't need to do anything more here.

Click the Exceptions tab, type in a name like eMule TCP, type in the port number for eMule's TCP port, then click OK. Do the same for the UDP port (select the UDP radio button on that screen) using a name like eMule UDP. You don't usually need to select the "Change scope" button because it defaults to any computer. That's all there is to it.

STEP FOUR - CONNECTING

At this point, you're ready to connect and start downloading. Click the Servers tab at the top of eMule to show the information window, then click the Connect tab. You should also look at the globe in the bottom of the screen - red arrow means not connected, yellow arrow means lowid, and green arrow means highid. The upward-pointing arrow is for the eD2K network and the other is for Kad - they'll also state "Connected" or "Not Connected". Hopefully you'll see two green arrows but you can still use eMule if one or both are yellow. The "My Info" panel tells about your connection status, and the "Log" tab shows info about your server and general eMule status. Everything green? Then continue to the next step, otherwise go back to STEP THREE and try to find the problem.

STEP FIVE - SHARING

eMule is all about sharing - the more you share, the faster you download stuff you want. When people download from you, you get "credits". The more credits you have, the quicker you move to the start of the line for downloading. Files you are currently downloading are automatically shared to help distribute the parts faster - if five people are downloading a new file, each will get parts the others haven't gotten yet, then they share those parts among themselves until everybody has all the parts, and in less time than if each had to download the entire file from the single initial source. eMule will download multiple parts of multiple files from multiple clients all at the same time.

eMule uses a queue system - a single computer has only so much bandwidth to go around at any one time so people have to wait in line. eMule transfers about 9.28 MB (9728000 bytes aka 9500 KB) at a time then switches to the next client in queue, and you get back in line and wait your turn again. Your position in line depends on several things, among them your points, your upload/download ratio, how many other people are in queue, highid/lowid, etc. The more you upload, the faster you move up in queue. The more files you have shared and the more popular they are, the more people will download from you, your points will raise, and you'll advance in queue faster than someone who doesn't share. Also, people who know you can give you a "friend slot" which both moves you closer to the head of the line and lets eMule send more than just 9.28 MB at a time (and of course you can do the same for them).

Copy some files to your shared folders! I repeat, copy some files to your shared folders! They don't have to be new, they don't have to be big, they don't have to be blockbusters, they just have to be there and be something other people might want. If you don't share anything, your downloads will be much slower.

If you copy files into your shared folder while eMule is NOT running, they'll be "hashed" as soon as it starts. If eMule is running when you copy the files, go to the Shared Files tab at the top of the eMule window, then click the Reload button. eMule calculates a "hash" value for every shared file based on the file's contents, and this is how it knows what file to request and whether it receives all its parts correctly. The file's name is irrelevant to eMule as long as the hash matches and it's very unlikely that two different files will have the same hash. For a description of file hashing, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed2k_URI_scheme. A typical eMule link on a web page looks like this:

The_Two_Towers-The_Purist_Edit-Trailer.avi
When you click this link in your Internet browser or paste it directly into eMule, your client starts searching servers and/or clients in its node list for that hash. When it finds one or more clients that have parts to the file, it requests it from them. When your request reaches the front of a queue, that client starts sending it to you. If multiple clients have the same file, each sends parts the others aren't sending (and you don't already have) until the complete file is in your Temp folder, after which it gets moved to the Incoming folder. Meanwhile, other clients may be downloading parts of the same file from you that they don't have. During this whole process, each part you receive is compared to the hash in the link - any part that doesn't match is requested again so the final file is identical to the original, no matter what the filename is or how many people contributed chunks of it to you.
Does Emule app have for Android mobile?
Yalda

Post by Yalda »   0 likes

First of all huge respect what you all are doing, such old movies and series are tough to find, especially the ones who were still liberal with underage nudity.

But I do have to express my criticism regarding this Emule service, because it does really seem like a huge pain to set up correctly and is very old by now. I am also wondering what a person may do that lives in an apartment building with a central router, since that cannot really be accessed to open ports for Emule, and an inexperienced person could mess up quite badly in the router settings. I have my experiences, once tried to optimize the home router for gaming and ended up without any wifi or phone service for multiple days. So you understand why I am not really keen on this Emule thing here.

I understand that this whole p2p "game" can be exciting and a fun challenge to set up for some, but I personally just want to click a link, watch and maybe right click and download. So most of this site has no functionality to me, with all those amazing media being so close and yet so far :/

Please try to find a way here, like using Emule for internal management and research, while providing the movies, series, clips etc in a more user-friendly manner. There are some sites (Uloz or something like that for example, Ok.ru, Vk.ru, Archive.org) where it is possible to convienently upload and download. Or try to find a different solution, make a custom Emule installer that automates all this hassle idk.

There has to be a way to make this easier for the visitor somehow.

Or is this deliberate and necessary, since there is some underage nudity or explicit scenes only on here, and all this might be looking sus for the authorities already?

:?