When adults are cast in child roles, the future of child cinema?

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Sully23

Re: When adults are cast in child roles, the future of child cinema?

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

I no longer worry when I learned Isabelle Fuhrman plays an adult woman and looking for romantic interest I already realized that there may also be an inverse roles
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

Triela wrote:
Rich_Visiting wrote:This was generally a US trend, I think, to avoid confusing the male audience with a child cast who exhibits some form of identity.
No, this trend isn't new, and it occurs outside the US as well. Older actors playing younger characters is the RULE, not the exception. This is especially or also true for MALE roles, not just females.
Rich_Visiting wrote:consider Hermione Granger in Harry Potter for an example. See how they gave her baggy clothing and made her hair kind of outward and geekyish in the first few movies, then as she gets older the hair becomes slicker and the clothing becomes tighter (or lower cut).
Yes, girls become more feminine when they get 14-18. In the first movie she was like NINE or ten years old, so.... Her style moved naturally with both character and actress.
Rich_Visiting wrote: "sassy" girls with attitude (of course entirely politically correct; multi-ethnic and overwhelmingly more of the girls are stronger than boys type empowerment storyline).
Why do you have a problem with multi ethnic and strong female story lines? Strong females have in fashion for the last 25 years, ever since Xena and Buffy, and perhaps before that too. And maybe YOU live in a lily white town, without people of color, but most ofthe world doesn't.

Rich_Visiting wrote:I didn't come back to complain lol
ORLY? Well, ya could've fooled me.....rotflmao
Rich_Visiting wrote: The worrisome aspect is that, what would be considered 2nd World countries, now seem to have adopted US style ideologies
Why is this worrisome? Don't worry, you're not ACTUALLY beng colonized by America, they can barely manage their own country. And it doesn't sound like you live in a country where political correctness is a thing, so again: don't worry.
Rich_Visiting wrote: children simply aren't portrayed in a realistic light.
1. Dude, it's THE MOVIES.
2. Who are you to say that the kids aren't protrayed realistically???
3. It. Is. The. Movies!
Rich_Visiting wrote: film producers today are airing on the side of caution
'erring', not airing. google that
Rich_Visiting wrote:a lesson political correctness.
The ESSENCE of PC is to be POLITE to other groups who have DISPROPORTIONATELY less power. Yes the idea is powersharing, why would that be so bad? This means all groups but white males (and some types of christians) who even in 2020 have 90% of the worlds cash and power and top jobs. Yes, other groups demand their piece of the pie. Which is a good idea, seeing how Us white males have thoroughly screwed up this world
lol Triela I have read some of your posts, and your post on this thread, and it is somewhat nice to see the venom of youth, and I think you could contribute a lot to this forum. Especially in terms of energy hahah ;-) Such an emotional response to online text is something that I am less familiar with these days. From your replies to my post there isn't really much that I could reply to, and I certainly don't feel the need to defend my own opinion lol

Although yes the mistake of "air" for "err" was somewhat unforgivable haha

Take it easy, especially on the white males ;-)

If you would like to be more involved here, then a respectful PM to the mods would be a good place to start. I've bombed some forums in the past off an initial feeling and for validation of self, but it rarely worked out well. Polite and with respect is always the way to go ;-) Just some advice, take it or leave it.

Thanks Phuzzy, just stopped by and was nice to see your response :-)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote:Thanks Phuzzy, just stopped by and was nice to see your response :-)
Thanks for that. The admins try to keep politics out of posts as much as we can because it only causes hard feelings and arguments. It never solves anything or changes anyone's mind. That's pretty much all that needs to be said about this incident unless it happens again.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
Rich_Visiting wrote:Thanks Phuzzy, just stopped by and was nice to see your response :-)
Thanks for that. The admins try to keep politics out of posts as much as we can because it only causes hard feelings and arguments. It never solves anything or changes anyone's mind. That's pretty much all that needs to be said about this incident unless it happens again.
Couldn't agree more! Almost every single social media post is followed by arguments in the comments, it's a waste of time and energy to try convince others of ones own opinion. I really don't understand why people do it lol
Davros6

Post by Davros6 »   0 likes

I've noticed something similar recently, in British soap opera EastEnders, where last year the character of Amy Mitchell, who is supposed to be about 13 was recast with a 17/18 year old actress now playing the role
[Image]

[Image]

This one is the previous actress

[Image]
I drink therefore I am
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Honestly I think some people here are exaggerating. It has always or at least for a couple decade been like this but at the same time you will always still have independent films that play on festivals etc. casting actual child actors. Some people also focus way too much on the actual age of the actress/actor instead of the role or character in the film.

Jenna Ortega is like 20yo now but lookswise she could easily still pass for 14-16.

I know that German kids tv shows still cast actors similar age to the roles. I’m talking about stuff like „Schloss Einstein“ or „Pfefferkörner“ (both on FLM)