[REL] The River Rat (1984)

goku33

Re: [REL] The River Rat (1984)

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:25 pm
goku33 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:17 amRidley Scott‘s Directors Cut Version of „Kingdom of Heaven“
SO the theatrical cut was allowed by Ridley and company to have an open matte presentation on the web, but the director's cut which was only available on home media was released in a cinematic aspect ratio. Oh Ridley, you nutter you!

That's some dedicated fan work making the hybrid, but I tend to find changing aspect ratios distracting myself.

Indeed!

Although I’m not entirely sure how involved my man Ridley was with the BluRay release. Maybe the distributor messed up?

To be fair, even many directors maybe don’t think much about things like aspect ratio, openmatte etc., my point is openmatte web-dl‘s are still kind of a speciality and something Cineasts go after.

my original comment was about a German hybrid version of Kingdom-of-Heaven where as far as I understand it’s „simply“ scenes from different releases cut together.

To me it looks like the following release on rutracker actually did what @David was describing: using some kind of AutoOverlay plugin etc:

Translated from rutracker:

https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5929807

Additional information: The hybrid was obtained by automatically applying the widescreen BD Remux (2.34:1) over HDTV (16:9) by the AutoOverlay plugin. The logo has been removed using WEB-DL. The color of the hybrid is averaged between HDTV and WEB-DL. Approximately 10 minutes of Open Matte scenes of the theatrical version had to be removed during the editing of this version of the film.
The Duplicate track with inserts has been improved (duplicate translation has been added in several scenes)
I have a lot of respect for the craziness of people that do this kind of detailed report lol:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3097
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:58 am There's a European guy on Youtube that remastered Star Wars to remove all the crap CGI stuff - he did both of the above techniques to remove things like blemishes from one print and the CGI monsters and other stuff Lucas added around 2000. But he first scaled about 5 versions of Star Wars to the same size. Took him about 2 years to do all 3 films!
Oh yes, "Harmy's Despecialized Edition". For some years, he's released newer versions of each movie. From what I've read, one of things that took the longest was trying to source SW film that was unedited with the newfangled CG of the early 2000s. A really great project. I love fan-edit movie projects!

goku wrote:Not sure if it’s comparable but I know that someone did a project with Ridley Scott‘s Directors Cut Version of „Kingdom of Heaven“ (which is a completely different film than its cinematic release):

The directors cut version was only released on BluRay but with black borders. So the person replaced all scenes in the DC version that were also in the cinematic version (that exists as OpenMatte WEB-DL) with video from the Openmatte web-dL. All the scenes that were NOT in the cinematic version obviously remained non-OpenMatte.
I heard about this too, though I am curious just how different this movie can be from a director's cut. I understand you can create a different movie through re-editing, but I wonder how different the same movie can be. I wonder if it is as different as Voyna Printsessy and Triumf.

This all reminds me of the fan projects for Legend (1985), which has US/UK/Theatrical/Director's cuts and two soundtracks. I went hunting some time ago for something that included all footage into one amalgamation of a film (as even the director's cut left stuff out that one of the other cuts had), and I found THIS "Re-United edition" on uloz (it has some some minor issues with dialogue syncing).

Getting back on topic, my dual instance overlay idea for The River Rat was just a bit of a joke hahah. I think I'm going to enjoy this one. It was cool being able to read some of the interview that deadman posted here. I was careful not to read too much. ;)
c4po

Post by c4po »   2 likes

Now available as a 720p and 1080p torrent on yts.mx

https://yts.mx/movies/the-river-rat-1984

not sure which version that is. the length is 1 hr 32 min

English subtitles are included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.