[REL] Le monde de Ludovic (1993)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Le monde de Ludovic (1993)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:34 pm In 2018 Matthias Coppens appeared on the TV program Van Algemeen Nut where he talked about his experience filming De wereld van Ludovic ... I wish I had a subtitled clip of that segment or at least a summary of it - but I can't find anything like that online. Maybe one of you will have more luck!
Only automated Dutch subtitles for this full episode of
VAN ALGEMEEN NUT - Seizoen 1 - Aflevering 8 (Mathias Coppens)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqACV07iuOI

Both Bella and Mathias are in first 20 minutes, and other people for the rest. Gotta either learn Dutch or WhisperAI to understand it.

Young Bella is also mentioned in a vintage news / review clip at roughly the 40-42 minute mark.

Episode may also be here, for registered users who can prove their Belgian nationality: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/a-z/van-algeme ... t-s2018a8/

If I read the machine translation of the VRT MAX FAQ properly, Dutch subtitles are available for their programming on TV broadcast, but not necessarily online. (?)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Excellent find, Night. And quick to, for such a specific request for a certain talk show episode!

I've noticed before that youtube autosubs actually do very well for commentators speaking directly and clearly to an audience or the camera. It is not punctuated, at all, but transcribes adequately. Unsure if if captures other languages besides English this well. If you turn on autosubs, and then select auto-translate, and select your language, it may help you understand some of the meaning. In English, some sentences come out nearly good, and others are nonsensical, but I was able to follow along and get a semblance of what was being said.

I did not watch too much into the description of the movie, since I haven't seen it yet and want to avoid knowing too much about it.

The video starts talking about the movie at the 5:33 mark.
Matthias, 25 years ago you were featured in an internationally lauded tv movie that was big new at the time. So there it was in the news in the section "something completely different." now once completely under snow the network and television is again mentioned in the awards at the television festival talk by in Prague, and director John per de Decker received a special prize in the television drama category for the youth film "the world of ludovic."
The world of ludovic is the story of...
Honestly not too bad in parts, but not great overall.
Night457
Global Moderator

I dunno, I am not so impressed by autosubs. Personally I think they are bad with one speaker, and a mess with 2 or more. I know that many talk show hosts are comedians or aspiring comedians and want all audience attention on them, but really it ought to be about interviews -- meaning 2 or more people. Careful editing of the Dutch original to insert punctuation and separate the individual speakers might help, but as is I find it unimpressive. (From the results I have seen of WhisperAI subtitles here at FLM, it seems that the mighty ChatGPT computer does a much better job of that than YouTube's rambling nonsense.)

I captured and machine-translated the autosubs two different ways, with confusing results both times. When the host asks Bella what might be an indelicate question, Mathias interrupts, maybe so Bella does not have to be put on the spot with her own answer? Or he was afraid of her answer?
00:18:15,000 --> 00:18:20,976
beautiful girl and today a beautiful woman
bella yes in the end you both agreed that the
00:18:21,000 --> 00:18:26,976
recordings are over you slept with him did you
ever catch him doing something to the duchy
00:18:27,000 --> 00:18:30,392
yes we want to go
[Laughter] just go home later
"Did you ever catch him doing something to the duchy?" !???! ("hertogdom" = "dukedom") That has got to be some really kinky Belgian Dutch slang, right?

But she gives her own discreet answer:
00:18:34,000 --> 00:18:38,608
no we were above all I think the
very good friends the earthly during the
00:18:39,000 --> 00:18:44,248
recordings and had a lot
of fun a lot of mischief and
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:04 amI dunno, I am not so impressed by autosubs.

Yeah, I tried using translated YouTube subs and they were horrible. It really is hard to know what the hell Bella was trying to say, aside from the fact that they were great friends and had fun goofing around on the set. The way the timecodes overlapped caused several lines to display at once and they'd jump around as other lines disappeared or new ones appeared. Who was saying what is hard to determine at times. What was that remark about wanting to go home later? I can think of several ways to interpret that. I think words like duchy and earthly were just mistranslations. It's still unclear whether Bella thought of her costar as strictly a friend, or perhaps shared some of his feelings but was also afraid to speak up.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the official site, see if I can access that and get some (hopefully) better subtitles.
Night457
Global Moderator

deadman wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:02 amThe way the timecodes overlapped
Actually this was one time where I did not have a big problem with overlapping lines, although that may have been a function of the software methods I used to convert them to a subtitle. One way was to copy the text and the start timecodes from the YT page to a text file and then open it in SubtitleEdit for conversion to SRT; that may have automatically screened out overlapping end times. The other was to allow 9xbuddy to create a subtitle, and that may have done the same. I did not try to use yt-dlp or Jdownloader2 on the ASR subtitles, and when I do I normally get lots of overlaps. ... Admittedly, I was only checking out the brief section where Bella appeared.
I think words like duchy and earthly were just mistranslations.
For "duchy", I think the original Dutch transcription itself was probably off.
It's still unclear whether Bella thought of her costar as strictly a friend, or perhaps shared some of his feelings but was also afraid to speak up.
My own theory has been that girls share those feelings until it becomes too much of a hassle to admit it to a clingy, desperate guy, and THEN they are forever "just friends". Guys are such a nuisance, so I understand. Maybe she thought of it as a brief fun fling but did not want him to get too serious about it? Besides, maybe she also had a significant other by 2018. Would she really suggest she was open to a get-together with a married dude who had a childhood crush on her? "I swear honey, we just HAD COFFEE together!" Nuh-uh, don't need that aggravation.
Tomorrow I'm going to try the official site, see if I can access that and get some (hopefully) better subtitles.
Good, because I did not feel up to registering myself, especially when it seemed to be indicating that the broadcast subtitles might not actually be online too. I can do a Belgian proxy but I am unclear otherwise what Proof-of-Belgianness would be. But it is worth a try. Still, the WhisperAI approach is probably best. Unfortunately it seems my own computer is not advanced enough for it, because previous attempts have crapped out.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:16 pmMy own theory has been that girls share those feelings until it becomes too much of a hassle to admit it to a clingy, desperate guy, and THEN they are forever "just friends". Guys are such a nuisance, so I understand. Maybe she thought of it as a brief fun fling but did not want him to get too serious about it? Besides, maybe she also had a significant other by 2018. Would she really suggest she was open to a get-together with a married dude who had a childhood crush on her? "I swear honey, we just HAD COFFEE together!" Nuh-uh, don't need that aggravation.

Actually, I wasn't thinking along those lines. I meant something at the time. In 1992. Like she couldn't wait to go home with him at the end of the day, that sort of thing. If the two of them were having an affair in 2018 I assume they would've been a little more discreet about it! :lol:

Night457 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:16 pm
Good, because I did not feel up to registering myself, especially when it seemed to be indicating that the broadcast subtitles might not actually be online too.

When you get around the geoblock, the picture disappears and it informs you "Deze inhoud is niet beschikbaar." ("This content is not available.")

It's expired. Figures.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   70 likes

Back to Ludovic:

I've noticed, that the video has awful colors. I corrected the white balance and made a new upscale.

From this:
[Image]

To this:
[Image]

New links:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.08 Gb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [43.2 Kb]
Night457
Global Moderator

deadman -- I meant both back then AND now. Back then, she saw him as a cute boy to have a brief fling with maybe a shag -- if she even thought in those terms yet. Or he just kept her feet warm at night. Now she is older and wiser and maybe will not admit to her childhood foolishness. She has fond memories of him, nothing more, and has no motivation to have an affair.

As for the video, I could get around the geoblock but was hoping that the unavailable content would become available upon registration and login. Oh well.

ghost -- Thanks for the new upscale!! You keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em. This movie is just THAT good. If only pillowbaker would discover that.

I hope someday to hear this movie in Dutch rather than French, for a change.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:32 pm deadman -- I meant both back then AND now. Back then, she saw him as a cute boy to have a brief fling with maybe a shag -- if she even thought in those terms yet. Or he just kept her feet warm at night. Now she is older and wiser and maybe will not admit to her childhood foolishness. She has fond memories of him, nothing more, and has no motivation to have an affair.

As for the video, I could get around the geoblock but was hoping that the unavailable content would become available upon registration and login. Oh well.

ghost -- Thanks for the new upscale!! You keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em. This movie is just THAT good. If only pillowbaker would discover that.

If you can find a decent version under the original title De wereld van Ludovic it might at least have a decent quality Dutch soundtrack you could sync to the video. The only source with decent picture quality seems to be in French though, where the movie is called Le monde de Ludovic.

Yes, pillowbaker - you should definitely watch this movie. The love story between these two kids really is touching and sweet. Just an amazing film all around.

As for Matthias and Bella, his belief back in 2018 that she never had a clue how he really felt argues against anything happening between them as children. Being a married man I don't think he was looking to pursue her in the present. He just wanted her to know, that's all. And if they were alone together she might very well tell her former costar that he should've said something back then, maybe things would've happened during her stay. There's very little personal information about Bella, she no longer acts or does television, but there's a pretty good chance she's also married and wouldn't be looking to explore the road not taken with her childhood friend either.

Thanks for the new version Ghost! :D
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I've noticed, that the video has awful colors. I corrected the white balance and made a new upscale.
Well I'm glad you notice these things. I don't think I would have caught that. I can't thank you enough for the additional quality upgrades. 8-)

This movie is just THAT good. If only pillowbaker would discover that.
Yes, pillowbaker - you should definitely watch this movie.
Yeah, I know guys. :oops: I know we got something special here, and honestly I have a good queue of some classics waiting for me (along with a few hundred more potential classics). Sometimes I just have to get in the mood to watch things instead of hunting and working. But I appreciate you guys are pushing me to these movies with special connections between the characters. When films like this come around, please continue to point them out. ;)

Heh, you set me off on another short effort. I thought, surely I could find something. Downloaded 5 more versions, and nope. The French version is so prominent that it almost seems the Dutch language version was never released.