[REL] Das Mädchen und der Junge (1982)

c4po

Re: [REL] Das Mädchen und der Junge (1982)

Post by c4po »   3 likes

I've got the 2.85GB version from jezevex complete now and it's sharing (at my horrible upload speed). So there's still hope for those that were stuck on this version.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

bonmrmjp

Post by bonmrmjp »   3 likes

Here's subtitles. (Whisper transcribed, DeepL translated, with corrections).

Edit: updated English to version 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bonmrmjp on Sun May 07, 2023 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks!

Why don't you use Whipser for translation? It does a much better job than DeepL.
bonmrmjp

Post by bonmrmjp »   0 likes

I've tried both ways. For Der Stein I started with the Whisper English but I ended up changing a lot of it, and there were spots where it seemed reasonable but wasn't really what was being said. So for this run I tried using DeepL. It was more obvious this way if something wasn't right.
And I did have the English Whisper text and referred to it if something didn't seem right.

I did go back and did some spot checking. Its a pretty mixed bag. Whisper does better a sounding more natural, but there are the sections where it was incomplete or wrong. I might go back and make a version 2 with the best of both sometime.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I would like to thank you bonmrmjp for all the subtitles you are bringing! I am glad that Whisper has found popularity here. I thought that it would make subtitle-creation easier, but it seems you have made it just another tool in a still-massive translation effort. I hope you do not burn yourself out! As long as your translating is still "fun", then it is OK.
bonmrmjp wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:41 pmWhisper does better a sounding more natural, but there are the sections where it was incomplete or wrong.
Reportedly ChatGPT (and therefore Whisper by extension) is a brazenly confident SOCIOPATHIC LIAR, good at making the most preposterous nonsense sound reasonable. I see that your approach helps correct for that.
bonmrmjp

Post by bonmrmjp »   2 likes

Reportedly ChatGPT (and therefore Whisper by extension) is a brazenly confident SOCIOPATHIC LIAR, good at making the most preposterous nonsense sound reasonable. I see that your approach helps correct for that.
It knows how to BS when it doesn't know that answer, that's for sure :)

But I did a quick comparison and there were some obvious spots Whisper did better... So here's an an updated version.

BTW, ChatGPT is really good when you want a second opinion on subtitles. You can get answers on figures of speech, or connotations of things, or closely sounding words that might fit better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

It takes you umpty-'leven hours to make a subtitle, and then you upgrade it 4 hours later???! What the heck? :lol:
bonmrmjp wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:37 am It knows how to BS when it doesn't know that answer, that's for sure :)
That is why highschool and college students use it to write their papers, which are traditionally a heaping pile of BS anyway!
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:01 pm Thanks!

Why don't you use Whipser for translation? It does a much better job than DeepL.
bonmrmjp wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:41 pm I've tried both ways. For Der Stein I started with the Whisper English but I ended up changing a lot of it, and there were spots where it seemed reasonable but wasn't really what was being said. So for this run I tried using DeepL. It was more obvious this way if something wasn't right.
And I did have the English Whisper text and referred to it if something didn't seem right.

I did go back and did some spot checking. Its a pretty mixed bag. Whisper does better a sounding more natural, but there are the sections where it was incomplete or wrong. I might go back and make a version 2 with the best of both sometime.
I agree with bonmrmjp. I find it much easier to work with the language of the audio than the English translation. It is easier to correct subtitle timings to the dialog, because you can actually hear them speak the line. It's easier to spot Whisper errors when you notice the translation is nonsense. And it is easier to compare multiple Whisper runs to find the best pick as you can not only compare the English translation but also try to verify the spoken words, within reason.

I think the downside with Deepl can be mitigated by translating one line at a time. Deepl will often suggest multiple translations for shorter lines, allowing you to pick the best match. You can also click on the words in the right panel to choose alternate phrasing - just need to be careful to not alter the meaning too much.

Of course, it doesn't always work out this way. One film I worked on Whisper refused to give me a good transcript in the original language as it kept identifying lines as (foreign language). However, the English translation from Whisper was not bad.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

...end of the story: AI is not a human being. Even using Whipser you still have hours of work, if you wanna have some kind of "professional" subtitles.

I just noticed that when you translate with Whipser, you always get even perfect grammar, which isn't the case with DeepL or Google.
I start with a Whipser translation and if the sentences make sense, I leave it as it is. Ony if it gives me nonsense, I do it again in the original langauge and check what DeepL gives me.