[REL] Yardbird (2012) short [Australia]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Yardbird (2012) short [Australia]

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

yt-dlp is just a fork of youtube-dl. Both of them are command line with no GUI. Once it is downloaded, you have to open a Command Prompt on the folder with the yt-dlp.exe (and ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe are recommended too) and type

yt-dlp url

in it. (Or you can go through the tedious steps for Windows to recognize the exe from any Command Prompt on any folder. I don't want to do that again.)

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

I really do not know if it does anything that your IDM does not do. But it is free!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks, Night. I'll try it.
I really do not know if it does anything that your IDM does not do. But it is free!
IDM does the same like JDownlaoder 2 with this video. It doesn't get the 800 MB file.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:49 pm Thanks, Night. I'll try it.
IDM does the same like JDownlaoder 2 with this video. It doesn't get the 800 MB file.
Here’s the full output of yt-dlp (using -F parameter).

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:26 pm
Use yt-dlp instead.
I've never used it before. It is a command line tool? If I click on the .exe, nothing happens. Is there a GUI or something?
WHOA! You mean there's some program out there that ghost doesn't automatically know how to use?

It's very simple once you get the hang of it, and as Night pointed out, it is great at getting stuff more tucked away from jdownloader. Now if I could only remember to use it when the other methods fail.

Looks like Night took care of explaining. I used a youtube video in the past that well explained how to fluidly navigate cmd prompt. Make sure you grab the ffmpeg.exe from the yt-dlp link as well. I think there are two main forks of fmpeg, which confused me at first. I just used the first one in the list on the main ffmpeg site.

Let me try to find that video I used.

I think the video I used originally no longer exists. Too bad, it was great.

Some good points it mentioned.

- To easily navigate to a different hard drive, simply type "hard drive letter:". In my case, I have yt-dp.exe on drive I: (see screenshot)
if you're like me, you have a number of hard drives connected to the computer at any given time, and you may have a program like yt-dlp on a different drive an C:.

- use command "cd" to change directories within that hard drive. And use the "tab" key to cycle through the list of the directories in your current location. You must travel to it (that is, you cannot name a random directory and expect command line to jump to it). So in my case, in drive I:, we type "cd" then hit tab 7 times till it lists "cd ytdl", then enter. Then, since my yt-dlp is further in one more directory, we type "cd" and tab 6 times to get to "cd yt-dlp 06-29" where yt-dlp.exe lives.

- then hit tab until "yt-dlp.exe" shows up (faster than typing it out), and then the youtube url (or vimeo url, etc).
- note, you need ffmpeg.exe in the same directory to make it work all the way. I think it resolves the issue of merging audio tracks. Or something.

screenshot to kinda show navigation technique

[Image]
Last edited by pillowbaker on Wed May 10, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghost
Site Admin

I always prefer the easiest way. ;)

[Image]

https://github.com/kannagi0303/yt-dlp-gui
pillowbaker

(of course, ghosts figures it out super quick) Yeah there's a gui, possibly a few of them. I've heard mixed reviews on their capabilities. Please let me know overall how well it works for you. See my post above for techniques navigating with cmd promp (I edited them in).

OH AND THANKS Night, for emuling the original Yardbird file! I figured if I yt-dl'ed it, it might end up with a different hash, so I figured if I grab yours, we can act as some good sources for at least one version.
ghost
Site Admin

Thanks for this little tutorial, pillowbaker.
Please let me know overall how well it works for you.
The GUI works perfectly. Just put in the same folder, where the yt-dlp. exe and the ffmpeg.exe are located.
pillowbaker

Does it allow of all of the same command line tweaks?

Like, -U to update, and --grab-subs, etc. There's a lot you can tweak.
ghost
Site Admin

pillowbaker wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:28 pm Does it allow of all of the same command line tweaks?

Like, -U to update, and --grab-subs, etc. There's a lot you can tweak.
I don't know and I couldn't try it with a video with subtitles yet. But for only downloading it worked fine.
pillowbaker

Looks like I'll have to try it out. I see those "Advanced" and "Options" tabs there look pretty inviting.