[REL] Du är inte klok, Madicken (1979) + eng subs

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Du är inte klok, Madicken (1979) + eng subs

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I am delighted that someone else both loves Madicken and wants to share their thoughts, marvingray!
marvingray wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 am -I love their relationship with Alva. She seems like a better mom than their actual mom.
It is not so strange for children in a wealthier family to have a very close relationship with the domestic help / nannies. At least in movies, anyway. My family did not have servants, so I don't know from personal experience.
-I liked Madicken's relationship with Mia.
I loved how their relationship changed from mortal enemies to close friends, all because Madicken impulsively spoke out in Mia's defense. This was a huge SHOCK to Mia, who believed that life was just her and her little sister AGAINST THE WORLD.
vlcsnap-2023-05-14-12h03m39s449.jpg
Astrid Lindgren's personal philosophy shines through in all her stories. Admittedly, Madicken is just a bit rougher in the books, a little more difficult and selfish. (Because that is more amusing!)

Abbe is incredibly hard-working and responsible for his age, but he is still only a boy, with a boy's wicked sense of humor and who maybe does not think things through. But hey, teasing little girls is fun.
I noticed some songs that played on the radio might be sung by other characters later on, for example. Not sure if this was a thing in the books, or just something they did for the show.
Holy crap, I never noticed that with all the times I watched this! I will have to pay more attention next time. It is not in the books.
Also, for that matter, I've only got the subtitles for the movies so for the TV specific sections I am sometimes just guessing about what is happening.
OH! OH! OH! I am sharing the whole series in Swedish, with optional original Swedish and translated English subtitles here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1673

I have posted many times there and made it a much longer thread, so I am afraid to wade through it again. Take the time to see what is there. If you are not emuling and just want the subtitles, they are included as downloadable ZIP attachments in this post here:
viewtopic.php?p=98182#p98182
Anyway, I've spammed up this thread enough
Hardly! FLM is about discussing the movies we love in addition to sharing files. It helps get other people interested.

It is a very odd thought going the other extreme, with someone like Gollum or Sauron showing up in the Madicken series ...
Spoiler:

[Image]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

marvingray wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 am I'll never have the opportunity to talk about this show with anyone else, so I just want to share a few thoughts:

Anyway, I've spammed up this thread enough, just wanted to share my final thoughts now that I'm pretty sure I've watched all the episodes.
I immediately had to think of @Night457 who will appreciate hearing your thoughts on this one! :)

While I haven’t watched this one yet, I am always thankful for meaningful discussion and thoughts.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:36 pm
To my shame I haven't figured out the emule stuff, I have read over the walkthrough threads I just haven't built up the nerve to tackle it yet, lol

There were a lot of great facial expressions that you catch in this show like the Mia one you posted. I appreciated this one from the episode where they have the picnic on the roof:

[Image]
While I haven’t watched this one yet, I am always thankful for meaningful discussion and thoughts.
It's a def must watch imo the two main girls are incredibly adorable.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I edited my post a few up to include a link directly to the post in the series thread that has the subtitles downloadable directly, without using emule.
marvingray wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:35 pmI just haven't built up the nerve to tackle it yet, lol
It does take some work, and a few cups of coffee helped for me. But it IS possible to set up emule!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

marvingray wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 amAnyway, I've spammed up this thread enough, just wanted to share my final thoughts now that I'm pretty sure I've watched all the episodes. I
I actually totally loved seeing your enthusiasm about the series! If you come across anything else that strikes you this much, please say something!

That thread that Night linked to tv series is I think where I made my first post, and might have been the reason why I caved and made an account in the first place. I thought it was a fun read. Night helped summarize info about the series near the end.

To my shame I haven't figured out the emule stuff, I have read over the walkthrough threads I just haven't built up the nerve to tackle it yet, lol
I do suggest giving it a try, as it may open a new world of treasures from here to you. You might luck out like me, and all you really have to do is download and install, tweak a few settings, get the server list and kad node links, connect and begin to amass your collection.

I am odd, my favorite part of Lord of the Rings is when they are all just hanging out in the Shire, so I think I get the same vibe from this Madicken series.
I believe I understand what you mean here. Characters you like, just chillin and interacting in a setting you enjoy. I'll try to keep an eye out for more movies that strike this chord for you.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:29 am I believe I understand what you mean here. Characters you like, just chillin and interacting in a setting you enjoy. I'll try to keep an eye out for more movies that strike this chord for you.
Thanks! You and Night457(and anyone else I missed) have been super kind and welcoming and this is a perfect description of what I meant. It was actually watching the 1993 Secret Garden that set off the chain reaction that lead to me to finding Madicken, lol. I grew up with that movie and have always loved it, and Kate Maberly is so cute in it(IMO) and I love her performance. It has the same feel that I love in this series as well, albeit a little more gothic and dark. They also take place in roughly the same time in history, shortly before the first World War. And I instantly fell in love when I realized the first episode of Madicken is just her getting a new pair of sandals, lol. Then she spends the whole episode showing them off and staring at them. I remember when I'd get a new pair of shoes back in school how I would do the same thing, little touches like that is what elevates this show.

Actually, now that I think about it, another Swedish movie "Hugo och Josefin" also fits the description pretty well, but seeing as you're the last person that posted in that thread I'm sure you already well aware.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off Madicken in the Madicken thread, so I'll leave it there.

Gonna go finally grab those subs.

Edit: @Night457, I might have been mistaken about them singing the song on the radio, I think I was mixing up with the song Alva sings on the boat with Madicken, then the chimney sweep sings it to her on Christmas episode, and then it plays again when they dance on the last episode(sad I don't guess they can ever end up together since he is married with 5 kids, lol.) but if I see what I was thinking of, I'll come back and mention it here.