[REL] Walkabout (1971)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Walkabout (1971)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

And finally, on the official actual censors (it is their job):
The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) surmised Agutter was seventeen years old at the time of filming (she was actually sixteen when filming began in July 1969[15]), and therefore the scenes did not pose a problem when submitted to the BBFC in 1971 and later in 1998. The Protection of Children Act 1978 prohibited distribution and possession of indecent images of people under the age of sixteen so the issue of potential indecency had not been considered on previous occasions. However, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 raised the age threshold to eighteen which meant the BBFC was required to consider the scenes of nudity in the context of the new law when the film was re-submitted in 2011. The BBFC reviewed the scenes and considered them not to be indecent and passed the film uncut.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkabout ... #Reception
Davros6

Post by Davros6 »   0 likes

Personally, with movies, I think it should relate to what the law was at the time of the movie being made, because the movie was made according to the law at the time, so it was made lawfully, you can't make a movie and take into account what the laws might be in 20+ years time.
I drink therefore I am
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Davros6 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:52 pm Personally, with movies, I think it should relate to what the law was at the time of the movie being made, because the movie was made according to the law at the time, so it was made lawfully, you can't make a movie and take into account what the laws might be in 20+ years time.
I mean yes, they shouldn’t punish a director/producer retrospectively for that but culture has to be re-evaluated.. my only point is that 30 years ago (or more) some awful stuff was allowed (women’s rights, gay rights, children’s rights).

On the other hand I don’t like censorship years later as well. I think Madaloscenza is a good example of not allowing something that was allowed earlier (in Germany).

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/stev ... 235594163/#!

It would be interesting, imagine if there would be a new law that gives child actors who did nude scenes, more rights (in that they can stop any distribution of the old media). Similar to how in some states and countries they removed the statue of limitation for rape or child abuse.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Walkabout 4kUHD coming September 12:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Walkabou ... ay/340038/
https://www.criterion.com/films/522-walkabout

As long as they do not do something stupid to screw up the color grading or the disk mastering, this should be even better than all previous versions. Look forward to the 89Gb rip on RARBG ... [???]
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:50 am Walkabout 4kUHD coming September 12:

As long as they do not do something stupid to screw up the color grading or the disk mastering, this should be even better than all previous versions. Look forward to the 89Gb rip on RARBG ... [???]
Criterion has a tendency to change colors a lot, don’t they? The comments on the blu-Ray.com Forum thread aren’t too promising
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:54 am Criterion has a tendency to change colors a lot, don’t they?
No, that is not a problem particular to Criterion nor is it typical of them, but it DOES happen for sure with some of their releases. That is why I am wait-and-see. Much of the time Criterion is given completed restoration masters and that is what they release. There are certain restoration houses that do a fantastic job of restoring film but choose outrageously controversial color grading. (L'Immagine Ritrovata and some French company I can not remember the name of.) This 4k restoration is apparently the one previously released a few years ago on Blu without significant naysayers, so I am hopeful that they will not do any unnecessary tinkering.

Criterion's biggest issues are over-compression on some of the blu-rays (to make room for extras) and over-filtering of noise on vintage audio (to make it sound soft and sweet, I guess). The former has apparently not been a problem with their 4kUHD disks, which devote all their bitrate to the video and a limited number of audio tracks; and the latter is not something I can really comment knowledgeably upon.

(They also have a tendency to over-rely on the visual acuity and judgments of octogenarian directors and cinematographers. There is nothing about being in the movie business that keeps a person's eyesight and mental faculties from degrading with age just like everyone else's.)
The comments on the blu-Ray.com Forum thread aren’t too promising
Spoiler:

95% of members commenting on that site are a bunch of whiny trolling crybabies, and it is virtually impossible to find agreement on which 2 to 3 releases each year are actually good. It takes a great deal of effort to wade through the hyperbole, and ultimately much of it is a matter of personal taste anyway. I appreciate that the crybabies do not just dole out unconditional praise, like many reviewers do out of gratitude for getting free disks. It is just some of the time the crybabies seem to be prone to unconditional loathing, and never enjoy any movie they have ever seen on modern home media. And some of them are clear crackpots who insist that the laserdisc or VHS releases for a particular movie are the ultimate presentations.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:01 pm
Spoiler:

... whiny trolling crybabies
... virtually impossible to find agreement...
... It takes a great deal of effort to wade through the hyperbole...
... crybabies ... prone to unconditional loathing...
... never enjoy any movie they have ever seen on modern home media.
... clear crackpots who insist that the laserdisc or VHS releases for a particular movie are the ultimate presentations.

Night, telling it like it is.

That said, I appreciate seeing that there are those who are find enough of this movie. I vaguely remember watching it years ago, maybe I should give it another go.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:50 am Walkabout 4kUHD coming September 12:

Yes - this is one I'm looking forward to. As you say, if they don't screw something up there's simply nothing better than a 4K blu-ray on your 4K TV. Unlike previous generations of disc low light scenes don't pixelate or halo. You get detail in the image all the way until the light fades completely. Meanwhile bright scenes are crisper, more colorful and vivid than reality itself.

Sadly no more rarbg. Oh well, all the same material will still be available, just not as centralized and convenient.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:34 am
I’ll be making sure to share it with you in case it doesn’t hit one of your filesharing sites.
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

A BDRemux version has appeared on torrents time: 1:40:40 23.84 GB

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, made from a newly minted 35 mm interpositive and approved by director Nicolas Roeg
Quality: BD-Remux
Format: MKV
Video Codec: H.264
Audio Codec: AC3
Video: 1920x1080, 23.976 fps ~25000 kbps
Audio 1: Russian AC3 1.0 / 384 kbps / 48 kHz
Audio 2: English PCM 1.0 / 1152 kbps / 48 kHz / 24 bit
Audio 3: English AC3 1.0 / 192 kbps / 48 kHz
Audio 4: English AC3 1.0 / 192 kbps / 48 kHz (commentary featuring Roeg and actress Jenny Agutter)
Subtitles: English (UTF-8; SRT)

https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2990153