MEGA Transfer quota exceeded

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

MEGA Transfer quota exceeded

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

A short time ago people were getting the error

"Transfer quota exceeded" in a browser
or
"509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" in JDownloader2

for any MEGA download over 5Gb.

I am now getting those errors for ANY MEGA download of ANY amount, apparently. A mere 490 Mb triggered it.

It seems now that MEGA is 100% for profit with no free sharing.
reptile12

Re: MEGA Transfer quota exceeded

Post by reptile12 »   1 likes

I hope uloz doesn't go the same way. I know uloz is slow, but it's better than nothing, and it's stable. Waiting a few hours to download a file is better than not downloading it at all. Slow and stable is better than fast and unreliable.
Night457
Global Moderator

... and today I am once again able to download under 5Gb of Mega links without problem. I dunno what is up with the errors from a few days ago.
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

MODERATOR NOTE: posts moved from a movie thread to this one. Original discussion began here: viewtopic.php?p=106817#p106817
Night457 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:31 pm
By the way, that would be ghost's version posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=92202#p92202
Right now I am also sharing it.
You can download large files from mega.nz. Yesterday I downloaded 10 gb file, only after 5 GB you have to change the ip. :)
Do you have a Premium account? Last I tried, I could not even do 5Gb, and the IP changing trick did not work. Maybe they changed things back.
I do not have a premium account. I have a regular free account.
I use the MEGASync Mega 4.9.6 desktop application.
I am providing a link to the Polish site where you can download this application, but they probably have their own site in every country.

https://mega.io/pl/desktop

link tu download application:
https://mega.nz/MEGAsyncSetup64.exe

Downloading using this app is easy. You load the link and it downloads. After 5 GB it stops. Then you just need a VPN and change your ip and after 5-10 seconds the download automatically resumes.

By the way, that would be ghost's version posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=92202#p92202
Yes. This is exactly the version I have. Thanks for sharing :)
Night457
Global Moderator

Thank you! I appreciate the confirmation that yours is a free account (like mine) and also providing the link to the app. I have used it before, but I found it more hassle than it was worth so I uninstalled it. But that was BEFORE they added the new size restriction, so apparently it is now more useful. Normally I use Jdownloader2 to download MEGA links, but with the size issue I don't think it resumed after switching IPs. I have no problem with using my VPN to switch the IP. If I need it I will give this method a try!
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

@Night457
I also usually use JD2, but there the trick with changing the IP for MEGA unfortunately rather does not work. This is why I use the MegaSync application
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 pm Thank you! I appreciate the confirmation that yours is a free account (like mine) and also providing the link to the app. I have used it before, but I found it more hassle than it was worth so I uninstalled it. But that was BEFORE they added the new size restriction, so apparently it is now more useful. Normally I use Jdownloader2 to download MEGA links, but with the size issue I don't think it resumed after switching IPs. I have no problem with using my VPN to switch the IP. If I need it I will give this method a try!
I know you’re comfortable enough with using commandline in yt-dlp/YouTube-dl and even have used gallery-dl. You might give megatools a try. Opensource app that can even create mega accounts where you have Full Control over the encryption key creation.

megadl is part of it and i don’t think vpn switching has ever not worked for me.

https://megatools.megous.com/

Win64 binary:

https://megatools.megous.com/builds/bui ... -win64.zip
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Whaaaaaat? Opening an account by command line, really? I find that so hard to fathom my mind is exploding. Will it also create yet another fake email account, and login and get the account confirmation required? Because that is where I have to start! Seeing as how that is as far as I know browser dependent anway, I think it would be easier to click on a new tab rather switch to typing line commands in external software to create the account. Jeez, if a MEGA account can be opened by command line, then it should be a simple matter having a bot programmed to open accounts. "Alexa, create 100 new MEGA accounts." "Alexa, upload the contents of Drive E: to my new MEGA accounts." That would be so much easier!

But the MEGAdl by command line part of it I can at least imagine believably and find appealing, so thanks!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:57 am Whaaaaaat? Opening an account by command line, really? I find that so hard to fathom my mind is exploding. Will it also create yet another fake email account, and login and get the account confirmation required? Because that is where I have to start! Seeing as how that is as far as I know browser dependent anway, I think it would be easier to click on a new tab rather switch to typing line commands in external software to create the account. Jeez, if a MEGA account can be opened by command line, then it should be a simple matter having a bot programmed to open accounts. "Alexa, create 100 new MEGA accounts." "Alexa, upload the contents of Drive E: to my new MEGA accounts." That would be so much easier!

But the MEGAdl by command line part of it I can at least imagine believably and find appealing, so thanks!
Yes, admittedly the account creation might be a bit too much for commandline novices. I haven’t used it in a while because creating accounts in the browser with copy&paste is just easier (Especially when using temporary/throwaway email addresses). I will try to download all my data from mega soon because I don’t want to ruin their service with dozens of free accounts lol. It’s just that I import stuff all the time before it gets removed from other peoples share‘s.

With megatools account creation you get a link I think. But before that you specify password and everything from the commandline and can copy/see your private encryption keys Etc. from megatools website:
You can register account using a 'megareg' tool, with the benefit of having true control of your encryption keys.

Megatools are robust and optimized for fast operation - as fast as Mega servers allow. Memory requirements and CPU utilization are kept at minimum.

Megatools are reasonably simple and cleanly written. You can skim the entire code in an afternoon and see what it does. You can be completely in control of the update process for megatools. Pace of development is slow and changes are easy to review. This is all important if you value your security, as shown by issues with browser based solutions (mega.nz browser extension hacked). Megatools was written to avoid such issues.
I mostly use megadl because downloading through the web browser from mega sucks so much. Due to the decryption etc it first loads the entire file into the browser cache/ram and then gets downloaded via blob. It’s just not as fast and straight forward.
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:26 pmI don’t want to ruin their service with dozens of free accounts lol.
My compassion for the problems faced by MEGA is simply endless.
[Image]
goku33 wrote:and can copy/see your private encryption keys
Is that the long string of numbers you are supposed to copy and save somewhere in case you forget and have not copied and saved somewhere your account password login? Or is it something else, like how each file is individually encrypted? If so, what can one DO with them? Can I email them to the FBI for their review in case they do not approve of my files? That might make things easier for them, I know they are busy and struggle to help enforce copyright for Hollywood media conglomerates.
MEGA wrote:You can skim the entire code in an afternoon and see what it does.
Well, THAT makes it pretty clear what audience they are aiming at! I have not done any coding in over three decades. I certainly would NOT be able to "skim" read code with any comprehension! :roll:
MEGA wrote:This is all important if you value your security, as shown by issues with browser based solutions ([h t t p s ://www .pcmag.com/news/meganz-chrome-extension-hacked-to-steal-logins]mega.nz browser extension hacked]
Aaaaand THIS is why I generally avoid if I can the extensions and software that various sites want me to use ...
goku33 wrote:I mostly use megadl because downloading through the web browser from mega sucks so much.
It is OK with smaller single files, if I am not going to use my browser otherwise in the meantime. But doing multiple links simultaneously really does require an external downloader. Since MEGA has sabotaged things with their quota restrictions, JD2 ultimately breaks on larger quantities, when it used to be thoroughly reliable. Hence the great potential for MegaSync and megatools!

If you download multiple (say, 3 to 5) links simultaneously with megatools, do you do it in one window with a more complex command, or do you have to open multiple simultaneously-running command line windows, one for each separate link? I know I have done that with yt-dl, as it was easier to do that (and visualize each process) than to look into whether I could do it all in one with a more complex command, where I would probably break it with a single mistyped character anyway ... Just curious, please do not provide a sample command.