[REL] La fille de 15 ans (1989)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] La fille de 15 ans (1989)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you deadman!
deadman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 amThe only English subs out there contain stilted sounding translations, not the way anyone would actually talk - on the other hand you can usually understand what they're trying to say. The captions are good enough to follow the plot so I included them on the disc.
Multiple subtitle languages, but NOT the original French:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... ovie-20571

It looks like your "stilted" English subtitles match the improved 2012 version of a 2011 machine translation from Spanish, but with a different sync. Of course machine translations have improved since then, so I did some experiments. I did a new machine translation from the 2008 Spanish, as well as a machine translation from the 2012 Russian. (I do not know what kind of translation either the Spanish or Russian are and how accurately they reflect the original French.) Sadly my results did not give anything clearly and consistently better, just better in some lines than others. So for now, "stilted" will be good enough.
deadman

Re: [REL] La fille de 15 ans (1989)

Post by deadman »   3 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:02 amIt looks like your "stilted" English subtitles match the improved 2012 version of a 2011 machine translation from Spanish, but with a different sync. Of course machine translations have improved since then, so I did some experiments. I did a new machine translation from the 2008 Spanish, as well as a machine translation from the 2012 Russian. (I do not know what kind of translation either the Spanish or Russian are and how accurately they reflect the original French.) Sadly my results did not give anything clearly and consistently better, just better in some lines than others. So for now, "stilted" will be good enough.

If anyone wants the subtitles from my disc in .srt format, here they are:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.