How does e-mule work best for this site?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
superferret33

How does e-mule work best for this site?

Post by superferret33 »   1 likes

Hi guys, newbie to this site here and also to e-mule.

I think I could fulfill a few requests. I have a couple questions about e-mule:

Am I supposed to use the program called e-mule to download the ed2k links? Or another program maybe?

If I try to download links that were posted over 10 years ago, how long should I wait to see if it still exists? Like a week or a month maybe?

Lastly, sometimes I have e-mule running but clicking on the link opens another e-mule, so the downloads split up into two e-mules? Is this some kind of bug or normal?

Thanks a lot
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: How does e-mule work best for this site?

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

superferret33 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:40 pm Hi guys, newbie to this site here and also to e-mule.
Hello, welcome to FLM!
Am I supposed to use the program called e-mule to download the ed2k links?
Yes, eMule. Supposedly the similar amule is needed for MAC or Linux users, unless they use a Windows Emulator. eMule site:
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl ... al.cgi?l=1

Our Setup Guide thread, which admittedly is out-of-date in parts:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7279
If I try to download links that were posted over 10 years ago, how long should I wait to see if it still exists?
After you have clicked an ed2k link in a thread, there is a "sources info" link next to it. Click on THAT, and it will open an ed2k.shortypower page that shows if anyone is recently sharing it, and how many sources there are.

Naturally, something that was just posted in the past few weeks will be shared so everyone just has to wait their turn. But for somewhat older posts (like a month or more old) I would give it ONE or TWO DAYs tops, then you can ask for a reshare if you are not finding any sources. There are many members who will do so, as that is the whole point of peer-to-peer sharing. You can either post in the thread, e.g. "Please reshare [indicate desired file by user or post]" OR check the box next to the already-clicked ed2k link and click the "Request selected files" button. Please do NOT just do so automatically for every file you want to download: give it a little time first! Many files ARE constantly shared by some members and it wastes other's time and resources to help share files that do not need help, just patience. If I had the hardware and bandwidth, I would share everything I have all the time. Instead, I have to delete some files I have on my shared drive and transfer over others as needs dictate. I am a few days behind on the Reshare requests at the moment, admittedly ... it takes time to find the files and hook up one of my many external drives. It would be so nice to have a RAID setup.

Note: you can only download one file per individual eMule user at a time. So if only ONE person is sharing TEN files and you try to get all of them, you will only get one at a time. Patience is necessary. Depending on your download speeds, sometimes quite a bit of patience.

Asking in the thread gives greater immediate visibility to your ask. Using the "Request selected files" button keeps the thread cleaner and provides anonymity. Personally, this is what I do: (1) Load the ed2k link into my eMule client by clicking on it, and wait a day or two; (2) If I get nothing, use the "Request select files" button and wait another day or two; (3) If there is STILL nothing, ask nicely for it in a post in the thread, and wait another day or two; (4) If still nothing, I give up. Some people keep trying for months and eventually have success. There is nothing that matters that much to me, I have lots of movies downloaded I will never have time to watch. If I get PART of a download, THEN I will be patient for weeks.
Lastly, sometimes I have e-mule running but clicking on the link opens another e-mule, so the downloads split up into two e-mules? Is this some kind of bug or normal?
That is NOT normal! It should keep going into the same eMule client window!

I am perplexed.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do about this multiple emules opening?